I put a dirty fingers in the bridge and love the sound, I'm wondering about what I should put in the neck to go with it. The dirty fingers is great for lead and a trebly, rough sound, but not for cleans.

I need a pickup for rhythm, we mostly play hard rock (not nu-metal) and use a lot of palm muting and heavy tube driven distortion (I play through a JCM900 half stack) so I'd like a pickup that has a good heavy bottom end sound when distorted. I'd like it to be able to play cleans very well, since the dirty fingers isn't really made for this.

I play lead, but accompany rhythm, I'm going for a dirty kind of neoclassical hard rock sound.

Let me know what you guys think!
What country are you from and what is your budget?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
i know this isnt the best idea but i have a gibson burstbucker in my neck and i can get some good cleans. i cant really say about the distortion because i have a 30w solid state(curse my budget). but ya im just tossin ideas around
I'm in the US, my budget is $100.

I was leaning towards a gibson '57 classic plus, but if there are better options out there I'd like to hear them.

The pickup MUST:

Have a really wicked sounding palm mute and a nice rough/bassy, rich bar chord rhythm sound (the dirty fingers has a great trebly/mid distortion when used during rhythm)

Be able to handle cleans well (as the dirty fingers is pretty weak in that area)
Gibsons are overpriced.

You can get a custom-wound pickup at www.highorderpickups.com for cheaper.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
That's a great price, but I want to stay with something mainstream because I have no way of knowing what those sound like. I have a reference in my mind of what most gibsons sound like because I play mainly les pauls, and if someone says 'it's like a burstbucker, but... " I can have a point of reference.

And I lack the knowledge to pick out specs for a custom wound pickup, I'd rather just buy an off-the-shelf model that gets good reviews because those people know much more about pickups than I do.

I'm mainly looking for either a gibson pickup or a model I can research more, like a DiMarzio or a SD.

Any suggestions??
I sound like a stuck record, but I'm thinking Dimarzio Breed here...woudn't normally recommend one for a Les Paul, but it's got to be able to keep up with a Dirty Fingers in the bridge and also needs to be rich and bassy but still clear under distortion, do decent cleans and also maybe have a slightly more modern edge to the tone...that pretty much describes the Breed.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I've had the following suggestions, and here's my opinions (based on reading, not experience):

Burstbucker Pro: I'm reluctant to try it, I was not impressed with the 2's and 3's I played at GC, maybe this one is better. I have a feeling this has a more punchy/mid sound than the bassy sound I want.

'57 Classic Plus: Sounds like a notch up from the burstbucker, I have similar worries about it's palm mute tone being not enough for me.

DiMarzio Fred - Maybe a little too 'classic rock' sounding?

DiMarzio Breed - From what I read sounds like what I want, I'm assuming the neck position model would be the one to use. Still has good clean tone even with the alnico 5's?
You might want to have a listen to these clips, they were done with a mahogany guitar fitted with Breeds. The Iceman's probably closer to an SG than a Les paul tonally but you'll get an idea.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7157498&postcount=201
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Sounds like a winner, I was listening to clips on dimarzio's website as well.

Would a super distortion do any good in the neck position? Or would this be a mistake, it has a nice low-end sound, but all the clips are from the bridge position. The cleans didn't sound bad for a ceramic. I don't want to make the same mistake as I did with putting a tony iommi sig. in the neck.
Super Distortion would be a nightmare in the neck, it's almost twice as powerful as you need a neck pick up to be and the voicing isn't ideal either
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

That's kinda what I thought, I think I'll go with the Breed then. Thanks for the help, I'll post again once I have it installed!