ok guys I have the Ashdown electric blue 12-130 (the earlier version of this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-Electric-Blue-12180-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485036) and I would like to hook up an extension cab, but I cant find a dedicated extension cab output. The closest thing is the "tuner/line out." Would this work for powering an extension cab? If not, how should I go about this? Any help is appreciated
live to jam and jam to live
...no.

That thing isn't powerful enough to warrant the purchase of an extension cab plusthe built in speaker.

If you need more sound, I'd buy a new amp. Ashdown makes great heads but their speakers are rumored to be cheaply made. (I have the MAG 300 4x10 Combo and it's great)
Thanks. But would it still be possible through the line out? I'm joining my youth group's band soon, and they have a cab from the previous bassist. Sound/power isnt an issue, the current bassist is using a 25w fender amp and its enough volume. What if I were to disable the internal speaker? It is plugged into the circuit board with little connectors, so it can be disconnected easily. Now that I think of it, why not hook it up to where the internal speaker clips on?
The amp runs at a minimum of 4 ohms, you already have a 4 ohm speaker attached. If you attach an 8 ohm extension cab you will blow the amp as you're drawing too much from it. You'd be drawing a load of 2.666 ohms.

This is not possible in any way unless you replace the speaker inside with an 8 ohm speaker and wire in another output.

Not worth it imo.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
The amp runs at a minimum of 4 ohms, you already have a 4 ohm speaker attached. If you attach an 8 ohm extension cab you will blow the amp as you're drawing too much from it. You'd be drawing a load of 2.666 ohms.

This is not possible in any way unless you replace the speaker inside with an 8 ohm speaker and wire in another output.

Not worth it imo.

The internal speaker IS 8ohms, well mine is anyway!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
well, I cant see the back of the speaker, but I believe it is 8 ohms. But if the internal speaker is the issue, what is stopping me from disconnecting the speaker, and connecting a 1/4" audio jack to where the speaker was? I'm a bit of a handyman when it comes to electronics.
Quote by Welsh Guitar
The internal speaker IS 8ohms, well mine is anyway!

Wtf so effectivally you've now got a 90W amp w/ no way to have an extension without modding it.

Thats why i assumed it was a 4ohm speaker. (because the previous would make no sense, why would you make a 180W amp which will only ever run at 90w?!)

Quote by 4 string man
well, I cant see the back of the speaker, but I believe it is 8 ohms. But if the internal speaker is the issue, what is stopping me from disconnecting the speaker, and connecting a 1/4" audio jack to where the speaker was? I'm a bit of a handyman when it comes to electronics.

What you could do it spit the wire, one end to the current speaker, then the other to a jack socket. Then from the jack socket get another 8ohm speaker or an 8ohm speaker cab.

This will make your amp run at 4 ohms and you'll get the full 180W

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Mine has an option for an extention, there's two speaker outs on the back panel. Take a picture of the back of your amp, threadstarter!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
here ya go! Keep in mind this is the 130w discontinued model, not the 180w. The wire poking out is the wire to the speaker.
Well, if your model isn't the same as Welsh Guitar's, then how do you know your speaker isn't 4Ohms?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
Well, if your model isn't the same as Welsh Guitar's, then how do you know your speaker isn't 4Ohms?

+1

Open up the back and check what it says on the speaker label!

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
It's different, mine has 2 speaker jacks! I can't imagine the internal speaker being 8 ohms, if there's no speaker jack.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
you're right, I have no way of knowing. Also the back panel doesnt come off easily. The entire amp is covered in a single piece of carpet. The speaker doesnt come out the front either. I'm gonna try putting a mirror inside and using a flashlight through the air hole and see if I can find an ohm rating.

EDIT: ok, my mirror idea didnt work, so I stuck my camera in there, and blindly took pics until I got one with the ohm rating. It is 8 ohms.

Last edited by 4 string man at Feb 22, 2008,
if he's using a 25 watter, and thats enough, then youre 130 watter is gonna blow em all away. 'nuff said
Quote by 4 string man
you're right, I have no way of knowing. Also the back panel doesnt come off easily. The entire amp is covered in a single piece of carpet. The speaker doesnt come out the front either. I'm gonna try putting a mirror inside and using a flashlight through the air hole and see if I can find an ohm rating.

EDIT: ok, my mirror idea didnt work, so I stuck my camera in there, and blindly took pics until I got one with the ohm rating. It is 8 ohms.

You get to the speaker by removing the grill cover, the speaker will either be clamped or bolted in using 'T' nuts, when replacing the speaker do not put on too much pressure on the bolts until the screws have located on the thread of the 'T' nut or you may push the nut off of the back of the baffle board.

If it is an 8 ohm speaker then in this case that is the probably the minimum that the amp will work into and may well be giving its full 130 watts or so, if this is the case you would need two 16 ohm speakers.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
You get to the speaker by removing the grill cover, the speaker will either be clamped or bolted in using 'T' nuts, when replacing the speaker do not put on too much pressure on the bolts until the screws have located on the thread of the 'T' nut or you may push the nut off of the back of the baffle board.

If it is an 8 ohm speaker then in this case that is the probably the minimum that the amp will work into and may well be giving its full 130 watts or so, if this is the case you would need two 16 ohm speakers.
The speaker is held in with 8 screws into the particle board, and with them removed it still wont budge. I'm assuming its glued in, I cant find any "T" nuts or other screws/bolts on either side of the speaker.

Now that we've cleared up the ohm issue, can I use the line out for an extension cab? Or do I need to wire it in place of the existing speaker?
Quote by 4 string man
The speaker is held in with 8 screws into the particle board, and with them removed it still wont budge. I'm assuming its glued in, I cant find any "T" nuts or other screws/bolts on either side of the speaker.
Now that we've cleared up the ohm issue, can I use the line out for an extension cab? Or do I need to wire it in place of the existing speaker?

I can assure you that unless a previous owner glued in the speaker Ashdown certainly won't have, all you have to do is tease out the speaker by levering under the edges a little at a time.

Line out is signal not power, think obout it this way; would you put the output from an amp into the input of another amp or desk, a tell tale sign is that DI/guitar leads are screened cables speaker leads are twin core mains type cables for carrying the output power of the amplifier.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Thanks. I e-mailed Ashdown, and the guy said the head is 4 ohm min, and the speaker is 4 ohms. So I guess the speaker is aftermarket? That might also explain why it doesnt come out easily. Its got the same blue cone, looks just like the stock one. weird. Anyway, I took it to church last night, and even if the wattage has been compromised to 65w or whatever, it still outperformed the fender bassman by a mile.
Quote by 4 string man
Thanks. I e-mailed Ashdown, and the guy said the head is 4 ohm min, and the speaker is 4 ohms. So I guess the speaker is aftermarket? That might also explain why it doesnt come out easily. Its got the same blue cone, looks just like the stock one. weird. Anyway, I took it to church last night, and even if the wattage has been compromised to 65w or whatever, it still outperformed the fender bassman by a mile.

so the other amp was 250 watts, not 25 right?

and I doubt that last line, VERY highly.

Unless it was 25 watts, then it was NOT a bassman, it was a Fender rumble, and therefore I will entirely agree with that last statement, without even hearing your amp. Fender doesn't make 25 watt Bassman's, it does however make 25 watt rumbles, and in my experience the rumbles are pretty bad.
Last edited by Zar938 at Feb 28, 2008,
Quote by Zar938
so the other amp was 250 watts, not 25 right?

and I doubt that last line, VERY highly.

Unless it was 25 watts, then it was NOT a bassman, it was a Fender rumble, and therefore I will entirely agree with that last statement, without even hearing your amp. Fender doesn't make 25 watt Bassman's, it does however make 25 watt rumbles, and in my experience the rumbles are pretty bad.

nope. It exists. Discontinued, but they do exist. http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0224501000