Which SG?
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
uhm, in my opinion. I prefer the Strat, but the SG also would have more "crunch" so it's win-win depending on your musical tastes.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
i have the G-400, and it kicks ASS. i prefer it over the strat
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
I'd have the SG because i can't stand the look of strats - way too generic looking, you see copies in argos and wilkonsons
I think you'd get more for your money with the G400. It's usually at least a hundred or so less than a Strat in most places - hell, here you can get a G400 for half the price of a Standard Fender. So with that in mind, the G400 represents much better value, and if you're on a budget, it's a much smarter buy.

That said, in terms of sheer quality (so forgetting about the price difference for now), I'd say a Standard (Mexican) Fender Strat would be much better quality.
judging by the fact that your screenname is synystergates, im gonna jump to the conclusion that you're gna want something with humbuckers. go with the SG.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
i got the american strat and a blues deluxe amp..........amazing clean tone.........i would use the SG for more crunchier stuff............if buying one you'd have to ask yourself if you're going to be mostly playing clean or crunch?
Totally a matter of opinion, and you will get no shortage of them here. Both styles have been around for a long time and had great success. Play both types if you can and see what you like. They will have distinctly different sounds so it can come down to what kind of music you want to play. Good luck.
Omfg it's that annoying sig again. Refering to strings-n-stuff

Anyways to the topic. I think if you want to play heavier stuff then buy the SG. Also a good note would be to try out the different guitars and see which one fits you more in the hand. Since if the SG shape is really uncomfortable then there's no point in playing it. vice versa.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
I'd go for the G-400, maybe the Tony Iommi one?
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Well, since you asked "which is better," I highly suggest steering away from the SG and going for the Strat. Mexican Strats are not what they used to be. Many of them come from the same factories that the American versions come from and are simply sent to Mexico to be assembled. With that said, a Mexican Strat with no more than an electronics upgrade will give you amazing tone. Plus, I mean, c'mon, it's a Fender, you can't go wrong.
G-400 1966? limited edition
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.