I have a Marshall MG50DFX (2007) which I traded with my Dad for my Line 6 Spyder 3 75 watt(2007), awhile back, and I was thrilled to be getting a Marshall, but little did I know that the DFX was the worst type of Marshall amp there is.

I won't trade back for the Spyder 3 because that one looks stupid and doesn't suit me well, but I need to make this amp better. Does anybody have any suggestions that for things such that I could add onto my amp (besides distortion pedals, I have alot of those) that would make it sound better and have more wattage?

I know about heads and that they can boost the sound, but I'm afraid to buy one because I don't want to get the wrong one that wouldn't be compatible with my amp. I have around 300 bucks to spend, so something in that price range, preferably not over $250.

My other gear (just to help a little)

2007 Schecter C-1 Elite, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone Dist., Digitech Death Metal Dist., and Super Boss Overdrive SD-1 Dist. (yes I know my pedals are worthless mostly but I got them on sale)

Also: I was thinking about getting a Les Paul Studio edition for $1,100 (bday present), but before doing so I want to know if that is the best guitar that you can get in the $700-$1100 price range. I play all types of metal, and some jam.
Dean Z-X Fund: $50 out of $200 (25%)

My Gear:
Guitar: Schecter C-1 Elite
Amp: B-52 ST-6012
Pedals/Other: BOSS Dynamic Wah, BOSS Metal Zone MT-2

Massive Failure
wow, your sig speaks the truth.

step one, forget about a new guitar
step two, sell your amp (and try to persuade your dad too aswell) theyre probably the 2 worst amps i could have picked, no offence
step three, scout around UG about tube amps
step four, start wanting a tube amp.

i'd reccomend selling the pedals and look at a crate palomino series amp or a peavey valveking, this will create a MASSIVE improvement in tone.

finally: a $100 guitar through a $1000 amp sounds better than a $1000 guitar through a $100 amp.

sorry if that was harch, but for a decent setup, any guitar will do.....with a tuba amp
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Yeah you seem to be confused. Its a combo you have..MG..nasty nasty amps. You can't just buy a head and plug it in..hahaha...

Yeah like the dude above me says..sell both those amps and get something with valves in it...Peavey are usually quite cheaply priced as far as valve amps go...although personally I don;t think they very good.

Get yourself a Marshall valve amp (DSL or something).. or a nice Fender and but your distortion pedal through it.

I'm just making this all up. Sell everything you have and buy a Playstation 3.
This is a lie...no reason why...right from the outset
you guitar is fine. if you want better tone then your amp needs replacing. The best pedal in that collection is the super overdrive (use it as a booster).

since you didn't really list what kinda music you play.. i'm not sure what to reccomend for an amp. although just about anything would be a step up
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
wow, your sig speaks the truth.

step one, forget about a new guitar
step two, sell your amp (and try to persuade your dad too aswell) theyre probably the 2 worst amps i could have picked, no offence
step three, scout around UG about tube amps
step four, start wanting a tube amp.
Step five, ????
step six, profit

i'd reccomend selling the pedals and look at a crate palomino series amp or a peavey valveking, this will create a MASSIVE improvement in tone.

finally: a $100 guitar through a $1000 amp sounds better than a $1000 guitar through a $100 amp.

sorry if that was harch, but for a decent setup, any guitar will do.....with a tube amp

Double fix.

I agree with steve.

Quote by Massive Failure
I know about heads and that they can boost the sound,

apparently you don't know much about heads. You are probably thinking of pedals, saying that they boost the sound. Well the truth is heads are pretty much the same as the combos, the sound depends on the head + cab. They won't really boost anything. And pedals don't boost the sound, they boost the signal coming from your guitar, driving the tubes a bit harder. Now when I say sound I don't mean the signal keep that in mind.

Quote by Massive Failure
Does anybody have any suggestions that for things such that I could add onto my amp (besides distortion pedals, I have alot of those) that would make it sound better and have more wattage?

Pedals won't add any wattage to your amp.

Now tell us what type of music you play?
Metal, all types.

The problem with getting a new amp is my dad switched with me, and we both thought that Marshall was a really good brand of amp, so when I got it, being my 2nd amp, I thought it sound tremendously better than the old one (which it does but it doesn't change the fact they both suck), so every time I see him (which is hardly ever) I tell him how much I like the amp, and up until a few weeks ago I just realized the the amp sucked, so it will come to a shock to him when he hears that I want to sell it and get a new amp for my bday instead of a guitar.

But if worst comes to worst I can just ask for a Les Paul Studio Edition, not open it, and return in and get like a thousand bucks and buy an amp with that, I just prefer to be honest.

My Gear:

Massive Failure
There's no improving that amp and you'd be wasting your money trying - if you've potentially got $1,100 and an MG to sell you could get an absolutely kick ass metal amp.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-212-Combo-2x12-Guitar-Amp?sku=481433
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Would this be a good amp? It looks very good to me, but since I've been scammed by the Guitar Center salesmen twice in a row, I'm abit paranoid.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Custom-Classic-AC30CC2-30w-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103130704-i1145849.gc

50Watts of all Tube Power

My Gear:

Massive Failure
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
stop the train here...I read your title for the thread...

"My amp sucks - how to improve? + What new guitar to buy?"

Ok your amp sucks and you want to make it better..............

by buying a new...GUITAR

A guitar wont change your amp at all

you have tons of cash in gear that is not anywhere near needed....sell all of that and get a good amp that needs min. FX.
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 22, 2008,
+2 6505
Aweosme amp, that is very very good for all types of metal, only good if you can live with less than average cleans though. Sounds like the amp for you
Quote by Johnbryant
+2 6505
Aweosme amp, that is very very good for all types of metal, only good if you can live with less than average cleans though. Sounds like the amp for you

/thread
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

6505 is the master of gain. And if your dad plays guitar he'll know why you sold the amp if you explain him the suckage of the amp. And make hmi sell the spider too
Quote by sum_ugly_man
6505 is the master of gain. And if your dad plays guitar he'll know why you sold the amp if you explain him the suckage of the amp. And make hmi sell the spider too

He started 3 months ago and has an electric acoustic. If my dad knew anything about guitars he wouldn't have traded amps with me, and he wouldn't have bought me either of them.

My Gear:

Massive Failure
How much do you guys think I could get for the Marshall MG50 DFX if I just took it back to the store? It's like 3 months old, and I don't have the box or anything. Any estimates? I'm leaning towards the B-52 ST-6012 60W Tube 2x12 Guitar Combo Amp with Celestion Vintage 30 s (http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-ST-6012-60W-Tube-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Vintage-30-s-481308-i1145582.gc) can't beat 50% lol because I have around 300 bucks right now, so if I sold the amp and got atleast 200 I could just ask my dad for like 700 bucks for bday instead of a new amp, and buy the amp myself, and have extra money..

My Gear:

Massive Failure
If you like Metal, why would you get a Les Paul Studio?

Maybe you could ask your parents for $$ for your birthday and spend it how you want on a guitar/ amp.

If you like Metal music I reccomend any ESP as long as it is a 400 series or higher.

the EC ESP's are like Les Paul's with better cut aways and have great finishes (see through balck cherry is awesome or the sunbursts)

ESP also has the viper guitars which are similar to SG's.

You need to get a tube amp. Taht is why you don't think the Marshall is good. You've finally realized what I have, and that is that solid States suck. For a reasonable price (400-450. maybe 500) you can get a Crate amp (not as bad as people say they are) or a Peavey Vavleking is always good ($400, 50 watts all tube, class A/AB)

Most of the ESP in the 400 series or higher have EMG's which are great for metal as you probably know.
Last edited by Astrofissure at Feb 22, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull

I'm going to Guitar Center tommarrow to trade in my Marshall and get this asskicker. I can't thank you enough for suggesting this amp.

And thank you everybody else who posted, tommarrow I will have an epic amp!

My Gear:

Massive Failure
+1 to the Valveking. I'm trading my sucky MG for one too.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
+1 to the Valveking. I'm trading my sucky MG for one too.

Get a B-52 if you can afford to dish out $550 or $750

My Gear:

Massive Failure
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
sorry if that was harch, but for a decent setup, any guitar will do.....with a tuba amp

Yeah, I agree with Steven_Seagull.. get that B-52
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--