I have a Crate Palomino v32, and I want to improve the clarity of the overdrive tone. Would a Digitech Bad Monkey or a Danelectro Fish n' Chips do the job better?

To be clear, I don't want more gain. The only reason I was suggested the Bad Monkey is because apparently it gives it's own tone to your sound or something.

If I were to get the Fish n' Chips, how would I set it to reduce muddiness and whatnot?

Also I'm open to other suggestions, but keep them as inexpensive as possible I guess.

Thanks for any help.
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

You probably want a tubescreamer based on what you said you are looking for. Maxon is a good one, Ibanez makes some, and so does BBE, and a few others.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla
You probably want a tubescreamer based on what you said you are looking for. Maxon is a good one, Ibanez makes some, and so does BBE, and a few others.

Thanks. Isn't the Bad Monkey alot like a tubescreamer though?
Quote by cubedeathk

Similar in character, yeah.

The genius of the Fish 'N' Chips though, is you can boost most any fequency you want as well as level. So you can simulate the Tubescreamer's Mid-Boosted Volume boost, or if you want have a treble boost, or you could also cut frequencies.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Similar in character, yeah.

The genius of the Fish 'N' Chips though, is you can boost most any fequency you want as well as level. So you can simulate the Tubescreamer's Mid-Boosted Volume boost, or if you want have a treble boost, or you could also cut frequencies.

So I should go with the Fish 'N' Chips, then?

And I'll probably be getting both and EQ and an overdrive at some point or another, I'm just wondering which would make the biggest difference in terms of cleaning up the sound, so I know which to buy first.
Quote by cubedeathk

yes, you should.
you can dial out anything you want with the EQ, as opposed to an OD which will only tighten it up in certain frequencies.
There is a difference between an actual "Tube Screamer" type pedal and one like the Danelectro or Bad Monkey.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Im sort of wondering this aswell.

When sharpening/tightening gain, would an OD work better than an EQ?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
I hear bad stuff about the fish and chips, check out a Boss EQ or an MXR 7-band or something.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman
I hear bad stuff about the fish and chips, check out a Boss EQ or an MXR 7-band or something.

for the money though, its in a league of its own.

i'd say give it a shot. or maybe look at a compressor
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by woodenbandman
Where?

General consensus seems that it's the exact same tonally as the Boss.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by woodenbandman

the boss ge7 is a tone robbing piece of ****e, my jubilee sounded like **** with the ge7 in the loop when it was turned off
Okay, so I'll look more into the Fish 'N' Chips, then. Thanks for all of the help.

I do have a few questions though. Firstly, should it run through the effects loop or straight to the amp? And second, what frequencies should I increase/decrease to get a clearer sound?
Quote by cubedeathk

FX loop
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by zoomzilla
There is a difference between an actual "Tube Screamer" type pedal and one like the Danelectro or Bad Monkey.

The Bad Monkey is basically a Tubescreamer clone. Same mid hump and everything. The quality is just a little lower, but very good for the 40 bucks you pay.

TS, I say get the EQ. It will do anything you need to get clarity and tighten up the sound.
Quote by QuiteTheFellow
Okay, so I'll look more into the Fish 'N' Chips, then. Thanks for all of the help.

I do have a few questions though. Firstly, should it run through the effects loop or straight to the amp? And second, what frequencies should I increase/decrease to get a clearer sound?

Depends on what you're trying to clear up. If you find that your Bass is too over powering, tinker around with the first 2 sliders, you'd probably want to lower them.
If you think your sound isnt sharp enough, try raising the last 2 frequency bars (not the level bar).
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted