But What is 'a head' my band have just got our first gig sorted and we got sent an email from the headliners and they said dont bring anything except our guitars & Heads.

Sorry if its a noob question.

Thanks,
Guitars are obvious.

The head is the actual amp itself, with all the circuitry and stuff like that inside it.

The speakers (or cabinet) is self explanatory.

If you have a 'combo' amp, the head and speakers are combined.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Quote by I_CaughtFire
But What is 'a head' my band have just got our first gig sorted and we got sent an email from the headliners and they said dont bring anything except our guitars & Heads.

Thanks,

Oh my how far people have fallen. You have a band and you have your first Gig, yet you have no idea what a head is? It's also called a toilet (sarcasm).
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla
Oh my how far people have fallen. You have a band and you have your first Gig, yet you have no idea what a head is? It's also called a toilet (sarcasm).

*Hands TS anti-flame sheild*

No need to be sarcastic is there now
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Come on now. How do people not know this stuff? It just shocks me the amount of people that come into this forum and say that they are in a band, then ask us what amp to buy. Um, if you are good enough to be in a band, don't you think that you might know a thing or two about gear? Also, don't you think that you should know which stuff you might want and what sounds best to you? I think a lot of people are full of it on here.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
And seriously, doesn't anyone read the damn stickies!??!??!?!?!
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by I_CaughtFire
But What is 'a head'?

M
y band have just got our first gig sorted and we got sent an email from the headliners and they said dont bring anything except our guitars & Heads.

Sorry if it's a noob question.

Thanks,

Fixed

sorry but I was trying to figure out what your post meant for a while until I figured out you were asking a question at the beginning there...

Quote by zoomzilla
Come on now. How do people not know this stuff? It just shocks me the amount of people that come into this forum and say that they are in a band, then ask us what amp to buy. Um, if you are good enough to be in a band, don't you think that you might know a thing or two about gear? Also, don't you think that you should know which stuff you might want and what sounds best to you? I think a lot of people are full of it on here.

+1 to an extent

BTW, how are they planning on running their amp heads without any cabs attached...?
I thought you would blow your amp head out by running without a load.........
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 22, 2008,
Quote by zoomzilla
Come on now. How do people not know this stuff? It just shocks me the amount of people that come into this forum and say that they are in a band, then ask us what amp to buy. Um, if you are good enough to be in a band, don't you think that you might know a thing or two about gear? Also, don't you think that you should know which stuff you might want and what sounds best to you?

Man, people have to start somewhere. Take it easy.

Quote by zoomzilla
I think a lot of people are full of it on here.

Speak of the devil
Quote by False_God
Man, people have to start somewhere. Take it easy.

Speak of the devil

Ugh, I don't know why you love me so much, but I am flattered. Please tell me how I am full of it. I cannot wait for this.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla
Um, if you are good enough to be in a band, don't you think that you might know a thing or two about gear?

That's exactly the problem. Most bands starting now have no major talent, and turn their nose up to more experiance players. Not that I'm bashing anyone, seeing as I wanted to start a band as soon as I learned my first three chords, but still.

Talent =/= Being in a band.

Okay, so that this isn't a pointless rant post, the Head is where all the technology is housed (to put it simply) that allows you to play. In order to have sound come out of the head, you need to run it through a cabinet, which is the big square thing that houses speakers which project your amps sound.
Is your band name "Fail"?

When they say bring your Heads they mean amps, assuming you have a "stack" to some extent, what if you had a combo?

You dont need any talent to be in a band really, i mean just look MCR (which i just found out that MCR and My Chem Romance is the same band but i really dont care really.)
Quote by moody07747
BTW, how are they planning on running their amp heads without any cabs attached...?

I thought you would blow your amp head out by running without a load.........

I'm guessing they're gonna have cabs at the venue...
Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.
Quote by I_CaughtFire

Thanks,

Well if are a good musician, it's something you will get after your gig.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla
Ugh, I don't know why you love me so much, but I am flattered. Please tell me how I am full of it. I cannot wait for this.

I dont need to say it. Your first post already proved it.
i mean no offense to anyone but if you are oing to play a gig you shoud at least know what a head is...
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)