I spent the last hour and a half playing a bunch of different guitars that my local shop had in stock. I decided awhile back that I want either a tele or strat but was unsure which model I wanted. I am limited to about 450$ so anything above the standard MIM strat/tele is not an option. Anyways, after about 90 minutes of messing around on some MIM strats, a wide range of squier teles and strats, and even picking up an american made strat just for comparison's sake, I decided that my two favorites were an squier infinity series tele and squier tele custom. I was testing everything out with my guitar teacher (he does not work for the shop) and he was saying how much he likes his squier tele and even finds himself playing it over his personally built strat (at times). I am still new to playing (I currently have a cheapo epi les paul...I strongly desire that great sound of the tele/strat). Am I crazy for liking that guitar so much? Both had such full sounds and the fret board just felt natural to me. Thoughts?...
~Nick
I've watched quite a few videos on youtube of squiers and then I decided to try one myself, and I can't fault them. I suspect a lot of the trash talk about them is due to people jumping on the hate bandwagon, plus a lot of people assume anything cheap has to be crap

The squier name is like the skoda name for cars. They actually make some good stuff, but the names have gained a bad reputation which people hear and instantly think is rubbish
One thing I did notice...not sure if there is any merit to this observation: The Squier teles and Squier Strats seemed to be a world of difference to me. The only Squier Strat that I liked was a special edition vintage model SSS squier strat and I liked that more than the standard MIM strat I played. I just find it strange, especially considering all the hate that seems to be out there for squiers on these boards, that I liked that tele so much. It is so cheap I'm thinking of just picking it up...afterall, I am new and with the price I can trade the epi in for I can nearly break even. Anyways, I am curious to hear some more feedback.
~Nick
get the avril version, lol. I think you should get a fender mim tele...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Ya after I left I realized a MIM tele is the only thing I didn't try out. After playing though I have found that I have fallen in love with teles.
~Nick
haha, you didnt try the mim tele? try it next time.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by ccrnnr9
I spent the last hour and a half playing a bunch of different guitars that my local shop had in stock. I decided awhile back that I want either a tele or strat but was unsure which model I wanted. I am limited to about 450$ so anything above the standard MIM strat/tele is not an option. Anyways, after about 90 minutes of messing around on some MIM strats, a wide range of squier teles and strats, and even picking up an american made strat just for comparison's sake, I decided that my two favorites were an squier infinity series tele and squier tele custom. I was testing everything out with my guitar teacher (he does not work for the shop) and he was saying how much he likes his squier tele and even finds himself playing it over his personally built strat (at times). I am still new to playing (I currently have a cheapo epi les paul...I strongly desire that great sound of the tele/strat). Am I crazy for liking that guitar so much? Both had such full sounds and the fret board just felt natural to me. Thoughts?...
~Nick

who cares if youre crazy as long as you have FUN.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
If you preferred the squier then get it, it's your money, it's your preference, choose the guitar you want to play, not what everyone else says.

I believe that you can always find both gems and duds from any guitar manufacturer, every guitar is unique.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Ya I plan to go back tomorrow and play around on the MIM tele and compare that to the affinity series that I liked so much. I don't know if I just happened to find a good one but when I was playing it, someone commented on how good it sounded for such a cheap guitar...and it definately was not my playing!
~Nick
I have always found that you need to find the guitar that speaks to you and you just feel comfortable playing. I have been playing for damn near 20 years now and I dont look at purchasing a new guitar by what brand name is the best. If the guitar sucks you will know it. If it is cheaply made you will know it. I found some really great guitars that most people would say "oh that sucks." One of my favorites is a ES335 knock off made by Oscar Schmidt. i bought it new on ebay for 125.00. That thing sings and I just love it. Look back in history and see what the founding fathers played. Do you think Son house played a 1000.00 dollar guitar? Do you think Robert Johnson did? Robert learned to play by nailing a wire to the side of his house and using a bottle for a slide. Play what you like and feels good to you. I will take the snickers from those with the 2000.00 les pauls when they see my Oscar Schmidt because I know I will toast them when we start playing.
Quote by Tom Martin
Please please learn to use paragraphs
You hurt my brain.

Ya I apologize...I don't know what got into me. Must have been my friday afternoon stream of consciousness.
~Nick
Quote by buzzzxx
I have always found that you need to find the guitar that speaks to you and you just feel comfortable playing. I have been playing for damn near 20 years now and I dont look at purchasing a new guitar by what brand name is the best. If the guitar sucks you will know it. If it is cheaply made you will know it. I found some really great guitars that most people would say "oh that sucks." One of my favorites is a ES335 knock off made by Oscar Schmidt. i bought it new on ebay for 125.00. That thing sings and I just love it. Look back in history and see what the founding fathers played. Do you think Son house played a 1000.00 dollar guitar? Do you think Robert Johnson did? Robert learned to play by nailing a wire to the side of his house and using a bottle for a slide. Play what you like and feels good to you. I will take the snickers from those with the 2000.00 les pauls when they see my Oscar Schmidt because I know I will toast them when we start playing.

Wise words.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Compare a Squier Standard Tele to a Fender MIM version. The standard has a thicker body than the Affinity so could possibly have better tone, there should also be a considerable price difference between the Squier standard and the MIM Tele. I loved my MIM Tele and I will get another Tele of some kind soon.
yea, I went in guitar center today looking for a Les Paul or a PRS, and I ended up playing a american deluxe tele in cherry sunburst the whole time. I swear I wouldn't put it down, I fell in love.
If you love the guitar that much get it man.

For a guitar that YOU love under $450 is a steal. And when you decide you need some more tone, just mod it.
Ya I am going to go back today to play the MIM tele. I did get to play a standard tele and one thing I thought is of note is that it came with the string through body whereas the affinity does not. I played a couple different standard teles (some of the same model) and was suprised how different each felt. There was a squier tele custom that I liked the play of a lot but it was equipped with Duncan humbuckers, while my main reason for switching to a strat/tele is to get that distinct single coil sound. The tele custom, while playing great, did not offer anything that my tried and true les paul does in terms of tone.
~Nick
The heart of a Tele is the single coils, without them its just another faceless humbucker guitar.
One important thing to remember is that when you do finally find a guitar that you like, BUY THE FLOOR MODEL. You're not guaranteed to get one that feels the same if they bring you a new one out of the back, and sometimes you can get them to knock a few bucks off of the floor model. If you do insist on getting a new one, make sure to play it before you take it to make sure you're happy with the feel.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Some of the Squiers are amazing guitars

If you find a good one you've got a nice guitar for sure
Well I went and tried out the american strat and american tele again today in comparison to the affinity that I liked a lot and the custom squier tele (with humbuckers). Although the custom was my favorite as far as feel I really do not like humbuckers. I thought the affinity was really nice and really enjoyed it although I wish it had the string through body.

With regards to the american series strat and tele, I really do like the teles better. I also am finding that the only rosewood fretboard that I like that I've played is the one on my epi LP. I don't know if it is the finish that fender has on theirs but they all feel so sluggish. On the other hand, I like the rough, nearly non-finished feel of the squiers and MIM tele/strats.

The shop I went to is really small and therefore does not have a large inventory, although the owner told me that he just got done ordering a shipment of ~40 different models from fender ranging from affinity squiers to custom Americans. Hopefully that will allow me to play a wider selection and find the guitar that fits me perfectly. If not, I plan to make a road trip to Kansas City or St. Louis to hit up some of the bigger stores and not leave till I find the perfect guitar for me.
~Nick