Page 1 of 4
I'm talking about the TV and Film industry, and their reactions towards foreign films. I think it extremely cowardly towards the rest of the world's media, the way they'll reject it or remake many of their ideas.

The US has remade many British sitcoms instead of actually broadcasting the originals - which happen to be better - on primetime. I think it is pretty pathetic that the main channels in America won't show British programming, when Britain's main channels import your shows - the good and the disgustingly awful - daily, and show them on primetime.

The first inferior remake I heard of was the US's remake of Whose Line Is It Anyway? The original was fantastic - even with the Americans Greg, Mike and Ryan. But in the remake, the hilarious Clive Anderson was replaced with a "I'm your best friend" buffon of Drew Carey. Even though Ryan was a reglular, the show was stale and neutered, leaving out the acting of the original, replacing it with crap gay jokes.

The most famous remake is probably of the Office, which I don't like purely because I just cannot compare Ricky to Steve Carrell, I have nothing hugely against the show, but it reflects the continuing cowardice of US TV.

I've also heard of an infamous coming remake of Top Gear, which will be abominable, a remake of Spaced is in the works - which has occurred without even mentioning it to Pegg and Wright. There's been the remake of Cuopling, there is also a remake of the IT Crowd in the works.

Aswell as these TV programmes, there are numerous films which have been butchered. Get Carter - a gritty and grim revenge thriller was remade awfully - by replacing the darkness and intelligence of the original with more violence and a better looking cast. The Italian Job was cut to shreds, and now, The Long Good Friday is about to be torn to pieces - set in Miami, about Spanish cocaine dealers.

I know I was intending to write this about all media foreing to the US, but I only really know about the British side of things; I already know that Marion Cotillard will not win her deserved Oscar for Best Actress in the French film La Vie En Rose - even though she won at the BAFTAs. The only Brit that the US admires seems to be Daniel Day Lewis - probably because most Americans probably think he's Irish.

I don't want to seem bitter - I probably already have - but it just seems that Americans must be able to either, come up with their own ideas, or have the balls to air top class foreign programmes and films on primetime, not just BBC USA or Discovery at 3am. What do you think?
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
do you expect anyone to read all that?

from what i gather, you feel american media wont "go there"

duh?
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
Fidel castro stole all the ideas and gave them to the proletariat of Cuba. The CIA failed to get them back with exploding cigars, because the lack of originality meant it was the best they could do(ie use a cartoon assassination method).
I'm just making this up, but it proves that not all Britons are original or funny either.
Quote by freddaahh
I'm talking about the TV and Film industry, and their reactions towards foreign films. I think it extremely cowardly towards the rest of the world's media, the way they'll reject it or remake many of their ideas.

The US has remade many British sitcoms instead of actually broadcasting the originals - which happen to be better - on primetime. I think it is pretty pathetic that the main channels in America won't show British programming, when Britain's main channels import your shows - the good and the disgustingly awful - daily, and show them on primetime.

The first inferior remake I heard of was the US's remake of Whose Line Is It Anyway? The original was fantastic - even with the Americans Greg, Mike and Ryan. But in the remake, the hilarious Clive Anderson was replaced with a "I'm your best friend" buffon of Drew Carey. Even though Ryan was a reglular, the show was stale and neutered, leaving out the acting of the original, replacing it with crap gay jokes.

The most famous remake is probably of the Office, which I don't like purely because I just cannot compare Ricky to Steve Carrell, I have nothing hugely against the show, but it reflects the continuing cowardice of US TV.

I've also heard of an infamous coming remake of Top Gear, which will be abominable, a remake of Spaced is in the works - which has occurred without even mentioning it to Pegg and Wright. There's been the remake of Cuopling, there is also a remake of the IT Crowd in the works.

Aswell as these TV programmes, there are numerous films which have been butchered. Get Carter - a gritty and grim revenge thriller was remade awfully - by replacing the darkness and intelligence of the original with more violence and a better looking cast. The Italian Job was cut to shreds, and now, The Long Good Friday is about to be torn to pieces - set in Miami, about Spanish cocaine dealers.

I know I was intending to write this about all media foreing to the US, but I only really know about the British side of things; I already know that Marion Cotillard will not win her deserved Oscar for Best Actress in the French film La Vie En Rose - even though she won at the BAFTAs. The only Brit that the US admires seems to be Daniel Day Lewis - probably because most Americans probably think he's Irish.

I don't want to seem bitter - I probably already have - but it just seems that Americans must be able to either, come up with their own ideas, or have the balls to air top class foreign programmes and films on primetime, not just BBC USA or Discovery at 3am. What do you think?

I think you need to look at it in a different direction. This would be a non-issue if Europe and the rest of the world didn't import our shows and not change them. Truth is, you like everyone else will at the end of the day, turn on the TV and support the "stupid" American media. Its like complaining that its raining. It sucks, but you can't do **** about it!
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Greg and Ryan are Canadian dude
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Honestly, you have put way too much thought into TV. I haven't even really watched TV in months. It's simply not important enough for you to care that much about it.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
That's a good point.

I'm in Australia and we get the American version of those things (The Office for example, The Italian Job for another) and i'd love to see the original Office, Steve is... annoying at times and if the other guy is better i'd love to see it.

America has monopolised a lot though, or has taken control of it in such a way that it has been monopolised. There's no way around it, if they think they can do it better they will, it's got nothign to do with "balls" but more so with Arrogance. And the fact that most americans don't "get" or understand british humour. I, however, find it hilarious "the Goodies" = GENIUS!

/rant
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
why do people act like the american people have anything to do with their countries media?

we dont even have control of our pathetic government, how would we have control over tv stations?
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
I think you need to look at it in a different direction. This would be a non-issue if Europe and the rest of the world didn't import our shows and not change them. Truth is, you like everyone else will at the end of the day, turn on the TV and support the "stupid" American media. Its like complaining that its raining. It sucks, but you can't do **** about it!

I agree, I cannot do anything about it, and today I watched Scrubs and The Fresh Prince, and Austin Powers is on the telly now; I can't do much to change things, I just find it annoying how we spend so much on importing US TV - good and bad - when you don't give ours a chance.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by hurricanes67
actually, i've seen both, and the american whose line is better

hell yea, i love colin, and ryan

theyre just ****in hilarious
Quote by freddaahh
I agree, I cannot do anything about it, and today I watched Scrubs and The Fresh Prince, and Austin Powers is on the telly now; I can't do much to change things, I just find it annoying how we spend so much on importing US TV - good and bad - when you don't give ours a chance.

****, I get the BBC and I watch Ramsey's Kitchen shows all the time. Just because I enjoy how much of a twat he is.
Wow netowrks are remaking shows to better gear them toward their audiences?
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Quote by paul_brownell
The top gear remake will be poor

ell, how's anyone going to top driving through Alabama with "man love rules OK" painted on the car in bright pink?
It's not about courage/balls. In pure cahones, we've got you beat...we drop bombs first, ask questions later. Hooah!

It's a problem that has to do with bigotry and nationalism. There is very little that exists outside of the U.S. for most of us. Which is why we limit our own cultural potential as a country. But we gave the world blues, jazz, and rock n' roll. You're welcome.

And stop watching the tube, it's not good for your brain.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by freddaahh
I just find it annoying how we spend so much on importing US TV - good and bad - when you don't give ours a chance.

So the real issue here is your country importing too much of our TV.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. It's not difficult.

-SD
Quote by SilentDeftone
Go drink your tea and stop watching our TV.

-SD

word.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by rizo299
Meh americans would never understand the subtleties a british humour, they seem to require a laugh track to tell them when to laugh even at their own comedy.

And Im sure your typing on a double decker bus right now with some tea in one hand and an intolerance for other peoples views in the other. Lets not forget about that noose in your back pocket, since you kids love your suicide.

See I can do that to
Quote by rizo299
Meh americans would never understand the subtleties a british humour, they seem to require a laugh track to tell them when to laugh even at their own comedy.

To be fair not all american comedies have laugh tracks, and plenty of ours do.
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
And Im sure your typing on a double decker bus right now with some tea in one hand and an intolerance for other peoples views in the other. Lets not forget about that noose in your back pocket, since you kids love your suicide.

See I can do that to

To be fair, you've proved my point
Last edited by rizo299 at Feb 22, 2008,
really it sounds like your govt needs to trust its own shows. You say that the british import our shows, but why is that? because they think that their shows aren't good enough?

i can't really say anything about the quality of british shows as i have never seen any (i dont think), but i'm just going on the info you have given me.

edit: im sorry i didnt mean to say govt. well i did, but after rereading it that may not be right. so i guess i mean your "media". sorry for any inconvenience.
Help Out A Dentist; Play Rugby

I have now met 1/5 of the original GNR lineup.
so far: Steven Adler
to go: Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff.

Quote by ReeseKillsHIV

You sir, are a nice person.
I actually prefer the US whose line...
Guitars:
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Fender Jaguar
Indie PRS Copy
Faith Saturn E/Acoustic
Simon & Patrick SP12
Fender Jazz Bass
Quote by fosho
do you expect anyone to read all that?

from what i gather, you feel american media wont "go there"

duh?

I read it.

Why do you people persist in posting just so you can let everyone know you were too stupid, lazy, or impatient to read something?

Let me ask you this:
Do you expect anyone to care?
Hey guys, I could make a helpful post but instead I'll enjoy a quick ride on the twat-train like the other guys in this thread.

Fat americans.
The reason that the American media did a remake of The Office is that the humor in the Office (British version) is very dry and very British. That is not how humor goes in the states; our humor is a little less high brow.

And I see the British Who's Line on the TV just as much as the American... I like both.
The medium is the message!
Quote by KryptNet
But we gave the world blues, jazz, and rock n' roll. You're welcome.

To be fair at least 2 of the 3 evolved from slavery, you shouldn't really be proud about that. I dunno about Jazz because I think it sucks, but if you asked me to bet I'd put money on that originating from the slaves too.
Jazz came from former slaves. I actually am very proud that Jazz, the Blues, and Rock n' Roll (in that chronological order) came from slave culture in the United States. That to a very small degree redeems America for its slavery, and it shows the creativity of a people in our country that have made the United States a better nation.
The medium is the message!
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
Lets not forget about that noose in your back pocket, since you kids love your suicide.

That was pathetic.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I dunno about Jazz because I think it sucks,

You can dislike jazz, but it's idiotic to say it sucks.

And to the TS, apparently enough British people are watching it for it to continue being imported.
Who dat?
Quote by Anarion614
You can dislike jazz, but it's idiotic to say it sucks.

The operative words there were I think had I replaced these words with it you'd have the right to bitch at me, but since I think expresses an opinion kindly back off.

I still think jazz sucks.
To Freedoms Stain;
However, it is way better and more intricate than what you write, no offense. Which means, you suck more /cheap shot

See I can do that to

No, no you can't. He took an actual fact and used it, and you just went with stereotypes, you actually made me laugh with just how much you missed the point.
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
The only good american tv shows are: Battlestar galactica, scrubs, house, heroes, star trek next generation, star trek deep space 9, buffy, angel, firefly and 24.

Also american moves U571 is perhaps the most annoying, as i've now met americans who after seeing that film are dumb enough to think the Enigma machine was captured by the Americans in 1940, the British captured the enigma machine in 1940, the yanks got one in 1944 when it was a bit too late really.
Quote by Draken
The only good american tv shows are: Battlestar galactica, scrubs, house, heroes, star trek next generation, star trek deep space 9, buffy, angel, firefly, The West Wing, The Shield and 24

Also american moves U571 is perhaps the most annoying, as i've now met americans who after seeing that film are dumb enough to think the Enigma machine was captured by the Americans in 1940, the British captured the enigma machine in 1940, the yanks got one in 1944 when it was a bit too late really.

Fixed.

And yeah, U571 is stupid, the British captured it before the US even entered the war.
Quote by freddaahh

the problem with this is the difference in popular oppinions between the US and UK. british comedy just does not work as well in the US. the british office for example, is way too brutal. im allways feeling bad for the characters. like the guy whos jim is way meaner to the dwight guy(i dont know their names). and im always feeling bad for the boss and receptionist girl. its just not as appealing to me. the american office is more lighthearted and fun, and i think it syncs more with the american idea of comedy. the british office wouldnt work here.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Well, as American and British culture is very different, many American people will have a hard time understanding some of the jokes. Different cultures have different kinds of humour. For example, it wouldn't be any point in a Swedish Comedian doing his/her routine in English, because you kind of have to live in Sweden to get many of the jokes. Of course, there are many exceptions, but in general, Americans will probably think the American version of The Office is funnier than the British version. Why? Because they parody the American society, not the British, thus they can more identify themselves with that kind of humour.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Page 1 of 4