For Starters, visit this site often, just nowI dont know if this has come up before, i'm sure it has.

But anyway, what i wanna know is... we have the different shape of scales, say for the Minor penta. And each have different root notes, what i want to know is this:

If a song is in the key of say... C, then are you able to do 'solos' using the Minor Pentatonic that has root notes in any part of the C Scale? C D E F G A B? If so, i dont understand how to chance from each key for the scale.

Say you're doing A minor Pentatonic shape. And you're doing it at C on the neck. Would you go until you hit a root note, then switch to say F on the neck but keep the same root notes, or when can you change from C to F to G as far as the scale goes? I hope that made sense, if not, let me know and i'll try to clarify a little bit.

WC
EEEEK!!!

Your understanding of scales appears to be flawed. The different shapes of a scale don't have different roots; if they did, they'd be different scales! A scale is a collection of notes. It is not restricted to a certain box shape, pattern, or position. A scale can be played anywhere on the neck.

Read the "learn your theory" link in my sig to understand this concept better.
Wow. you are waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy off. I think you should just learn your theory and figue it out.

that's not how it works at all.
Where to begin? okay... The "A minor pentatonic shape" you refer to is a little misleading because there is no such thing. There are several box shapes that are common however they are typically referred to as shape 1, 2, 3 etc.

If I understand your question though I think what you want to know is what scale goes over what chord or chord progression. There are a couple of different approaches to this. Here are a couple of directions you can go in.

1. Learn the circle of fifths, the fretboard, and chord progression theory.
2. Train your ear.
3. Learn chord axis theory ala Marty Friedman.

All of the above would get you started in the right direction.
Ok, my explanation might have been flawed.

I know there arent any based on what chord/key and that they go all over the neck, so it was my bad in saying the A Minor Penta. I might have meant the 4th shape (the A shape) It goes, from 6th string -> 1st string finger positions: 1-4 1-3 1-3 1-3 1-4 1-4
on E, A, D, G, B, e.

the post above me was more accurate in what i was looking for. I know the circle of fifths, and read on how it works, but it's still a bit blurry for me.

What the core of what i was wondering is, if a song is in the key of C and is doing the I IV V progression, would a scale (any shape) be usable if you put it in the key of the I IV or Vth of the progression of the song?

Or another way: song is in the key of C: and uses follow that progression: C > F > G for the I IV V. Would I theoretically be able to do scales in the C, F, and G places all over the neck? Regardless of which scale shape i'm using?

god this would be so much easier to explain in person/voice :P