Is it really worth it to try and make my Peavey Valveking 112 sound better by getting new tubes and a new speaker, or will I fare better by just saving the cash and getting a better amp later on down the line?

I also plan on selling my Slash Wah and Tubescreamer, but this will be to get a new Boost and Wah.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Definately get new tubes. Your gonna have to eventually, so why not get good ones? As for a seaker, you should get a new one of those, as well. A good one will definately make a difference sound-wise.
Any upgrade you do to the VK you can always undo. You can pluck the tubes or speaker back out again. Tubes need replacing eventually anyway, so they're always a good investment (you save the stocks as spares). The speaker's a little dicier. You might consider buying a decent speaker cab to run your VK thru, then look into amp heads when it's time to upgrade the amp.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
The cab idea is pretty smart. What would be a good companion to the VK for around $600 USD?

Also, I play pretty much everything, but mostly metalcore, hard rock and progressive rock.
Vader cabs from what i read and heard are apparently great for hardcore, death metal, and other metal type music. But there also kinda expensive though. Also avatar cabs are great.
If you were in a bigger market, I'd suggest a second hand Mesa. Vader gets good reviews for metal. The Genz Benz G-flex, maybe.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.