Hey
I've decided to start to learn the bass guitar and I'm wondering what a good beginner bass guitar would be within the 150-200$ price range, maybe 250$ if really needed. I'm not looking for one of the "Rocker" bass guitars or crap that they sell in Wal-Mart, I want a descent bass that plays well but isn't very pricey.

Does anyone have any suggestions I could check out?
yes.. those peaveys are nice. do you already have an amp, chord..etc? if not, what your looking for is a pack..

Alex
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Line 6 Spider III 15 watt
Fender Rumble 15

Drums:
Yamaha, Lugwig, Pearl, CB Drums
Sabian Cymbals
Yamaha Hardware
I think you can find some decent starter packs quite cheap. I also think you should buy a tuner, or find a pack that includes one. I don't know what packs are really good, so I can't really help there, but I would definitely recommend that you look for a starter pack.
I play electric guitar already, so I have a few cords. And as for an amp, I have a cheap $100 Crate practice amp. I dunno if you can run bass's through guitar amps, thought I'd ask that too. And I also have a good tuner that would work with a bass.
i have personally tried ibanez, yamaha and squier starter packs, all of which are good, and are generally good value for money. if you can, get down to your local music shop and try some basses out, see which sounds best, feels most comfortable. from one beginner to another, i can tell you you don't need anything brilliant, just something to get started and learn on. you can always upgrade and get a new one when you start getting better and keep your first bass either for practise or a different sound also, i think everyone will agree that you should really get a bass amp rather than run through your guitar amp cuz you will destroy the amp that way, its not built to handle bass frequencies
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Read the FAQ; there's a decent bunch of options for "first bass", and a nice concise section on running your bass through a guitar amp...
Quote by bojangleman
do you already have an amp, chord..etc?

I think he does, a Bm7 to be exact

I wouldn't, on the other hand, suggest anything by Rogue and/or Behringer. I think a squier starter pack is the way to go in this situation. For beginners, they're great to learn on, no matter what their reputation might be for their guitars. Be a man, get a precision
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
hahaha....nice! i have the Squier J bass starter pack. and its ok. very good for a starter. im getting to the point where i need a new guitar and an amp, but other things come first.....but its well worth the money!

Quote by Your41Plague12
I think he does, a Bm7 to be exact

I wouldn't, on the other hand, suggest anything by Rogue and/or Behringer. I think a squier starter pack is the way to go in this situation. For beginners, they're great to learn on, no matter what their reputation might be for their guitars. Be a man, get a precision

Alex
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Line 6 Spider III 15 watt
Fender Rumble 15

Drums:
Yamaha, Lugwig, Pearl, CB Drums