so, im really wanting to start playing drums, but whic drums should i get?? think of ones 600 dollars and less, hopefully less.
also, how easy is it to learn drums on my own as a hobby??
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

i play i taught myself with the aid of school band. i would go with a pearl forum series for a beginner. its kinda pricey but if you really start to like drumming you wont be a with a ****ty set. i would really just find some easy songs to play and try to go along with that. also make sure you have good hand technique if you dont you can get carpel tunnel and thats no fun
Quote by joeyc
i play i taught myself with the aid of school band. i would go with a pearl forum series for a beginner. its kinda pricey but if you really start to like drumming you wont be a with a ****ty set. i would really just find some easy songs to play and try to go along with that. also make sure you have good hand technique if you dont you can get carpel tunnel and thats no fun

+1 a Pearl set is well worth the extra $
Quote by Lamont

i once dreamt my wallet was on a helicopter and i chased after it. and eventually i pulled my dick out and lassoed the bottom of the copter and pulled it out of the sky. i woke up screaming
If your not living by yourself, or dont have a soundproof room, maybe look at an electric set if u can find one. You wont have to worry about how hard you play, or about being embarassed by how bad you are. And you have a lot of options as far as sound goes.
I have a mapex V kit, I got it off ebay for £400, but the cymbals + high hat had been replaced with Zildjian ZHT pro cymbals, and the seller said that the cymbals it came with were toot, so if you get it, might want to consider buying some decent cymbals, so it doesn't sound like you're hitting tin pans with dead cats.

Here's a link.

http://www.mapexdrums.com/drums/v/index.html

I'm happy with my kit anyway.

I am a drummer, and i started out 6 years ago with pearl export series, and i still have them because they sounded so great, even though they are entry level drums. Pearl just came out with the vision series, which is supposed to be an awesome beginner's kit, but i believe they are like 8 or 9 hundred, but you really can't beat pearl's innovations. Go with a pearl export. Best beginner kit for the money hands down.
what about a used pearl from my local shop that i think is like 600 and something??
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99

I'd get whatever cheap shells you can find, and just replace the heads. Spend the rest on cymbals and some decent hardware. Assuming you learn how to tune them properly and buy some decent heads, the actual drums are the least important part of the set.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Pulse are really cheap. They're not great sounding but aren't as bad as some say. Good to start and play for urself as a hobby.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
i second the cheap shells idea, remember that even if you get a $500 kit you're gonna end up shelling out another $150 at least for decent cymbals.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
i second the cheap shells idea, remember that even if you get a $500 kit you're gonna end up shelling out another $150 at least for decent cymbals.

yeah, but by the time i did that, i could just get the pearl drums at my local shop. i never saw what kind they are though,but ill check when i go on wednesday.
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

Look used you can get a pretty good deal my first set was a Pro M some guy had bought and returned a week later because he wanted an electric kit (or at least that's what they told me, but it's probably true considering the stock heads were still on and without any signs of extreme usage either way they were lightly used), it was $1400 new and i got it for $800 so look into that sometimes you can find really good deals
GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN
ok, well there is a used white pearl forum set at my local shop with brand new cymbals for 535$ how is that deal?
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

Buy used! You can get a pearl forrum kit for like 350 (with hardware). Then you have 250 toget cymbals. Definetly buy used cymbals. Then you can get professional cymbals for the price of entry level ones
i dont know what cymbals, but for my budget, theyre likely the best i can do. besides, my local shop has sabians incase i ever upgraded.
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

im remember playin those when i was a month old
Quote by Caustic
If I didn't cuss so much, I'd be illiterate!

Quote by Will_Minus
Stupid people do stupid things. Don't be stupid, stupid.
Ludwig, Pearl, Sonor, some kind of work horse drums you can drag around (ludwig has the boomy (john bonham) tone. Ludwigs are my fav's. I find Zildjian makes the best cymbals. but there are many other kinds im sure that are just as good.

EDIT- spend money on the Vic Firth rudement sheet. the fisrt thing you should invest in before drums and cybmals. you can probably get one for free somwhere if not its probably like 5 dollars
Quote by Caustic
If I didn't cuss so much, I'd be illiterate!

Quote by Will_Minus
Stupid people do stupid things. Don't be stupid, stupid.
Last edited by MaxwellVG at Feb 29, 2008,
force 507-sonor
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

URL=http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ar gentina
I've been playing for 8 years or so and my first set was a Pearl forum series. I got it for about 600 bucks. It lasted 3 or 4 years before the heads started to get real bad. It's great if your just starting.