I woke up this morning and said to myself i need a bass....then remembering i know nothing about them i decided to seek help.

First-went to the store and the sales man was, well, a sales man and tried to sell me a bunch of stuff. I didnt buy anything because i had no prior knowledge.

I know the whole "you gotta feel it" shpeel about buying any instrument, but i want to know what i should be looking for as "red flags" when buying a bass.

any responses are appreciated

thanks
UG bass rule #1 Dont get a thunderbird

other than that whats your price range and what kind of music do you want to play?
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
peavey's are awesome, i dont know much about bass and ive only been playin bout a year (ya cant tell can ya ) but i know peavey's are good
Quote by c3powil

other than that whats your price range and what kind of music do you want to play?

Hey I love my thunderbird. Best bass I've ever owned
I would also stay away from Behringer Ultrabass amps and the V-Amp bass version. Theres reasons in the FAQ. Im also looking into buying a bass rig. The general consensus around here is that a really good buy would be a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass, definately check that out. Look at the FAQ for some good first basses and amps.
Quote by pervy_the_clown
Hey I love my thunderbird. Best bass I've ever owned

Then you've never played another bass.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
ok, well i have anywhere from 100-250 and i need both guitar and amp, unless (which i was considering) i get an acoustic, but ive never really heard an acoustic bass play, they seem cool. and i want a pretty neutral base (anywhere from lamb of god-beatles-weezer)
The bassest in my band played a fender and i think it sounds really good and ive played my drummers fender and thats one of the best basses ive ever played.
Aria basses are really good, not just for beginners but later on as well, as I've heard they make some pretty decent higher tier basses. I own an aria, a cheaper one, and it's served me well for the short time I've had it; it sounds good, it's sturdy, it's got good features, and it's just great to play.

Aria basses aren't gonna walk over fender or warwick basses or anything like that (in general), but they're good for the money and they offer a good range of options. IMO they make the best NZ$500 basses that one can get, and I've looked at A LOT of NZ$500 basses. Plus they have a surprisingly large amount of character and individuality for a company that many haven't heard of.

I think Steve Bailey actually plays on an Aria Pro II, so if they're good enough for him I think anyone should be pleased with 'em.
Quote by c3powil

I think the £250 I paid for my Epi T-bird is better value for money than the £500 I paid for my Fender Aerodyne, and the Aerodyne without a doubt is the greatest bass I've ever played.

I've had this discussion many times. T-birds seem really awkward to play at first, but are great once you get used to them. Most people who diss them will only have played one maybe once for 10 mins or so, but once you've played one a few times (and get used to the stupid neck dive) they are really nice. The tone is a bit bland, but unless you are a complete n00b, you can usually make it sound pretty great.

I wouldn't advise TS to buy a T-bird though, but generally T-bird haters just jump on the bandwagon because it's cool, like hating Pete Wentz, when really they've hardly ever played one.
i dont jump on the T-bird or the Pete wentz haterz bandwagon. i've played a T-bird after wanting one and didnt like the feel, my old Dean V played better. and i heard wentz play and played his bass. didnt like either. lol. so i have reasons that are my own.

TS: youre not going to get much for 100 bucks. that wont even cover the wal-mart special first act. i'd look in on, for starters anyways, a squier bass pack or maybe an ibanez pack. i reccomend the squier because its a perfect starter. youre gonan pay roughly 300 for the squier. but youre cheapest bet may be the dean starter pack

i kind of agree with AVA that aria is a really good bass for how cheap they are today. but, like most things, the older ones are ALOT better. i played on one that's really old. that was turned into a frettless. it played beautifully.
Quote by bequickorbedead
I think the £250 I paid for my Epi T-bird is better value for money than the £500 I paid for my Fender Aerodyne, and the Aerodyne without a doubt is the greatest bass I've ever played.

I've had this discussion many times. T-birds seem really awkward to play at first, but are great once you get used to them. Most people who diss them will only have played one maybe once for 10 mins or so, but once you've played one a few times (and get used to the stupid neck dive) they are really nice. The tone is a bit bland, but unless you are a complete n00b, you can usually make it sound pretty great.

I wouldn't advise TS to buy a T-bird though, but generally T-bird haters just jump on the bandwagon because it's cool, like hating Pete Wentz, when really they've hardly ever played one.

I tell people not to get a t-bird because Ive owned one for a year.I know how it feels and how it sounds and Im not trying to diss them, but a t-bird is NOT a beginner bass.Maby a more experienced player who can take the neck dive and frett broblem and knows how to get that "one good tone" from it should buy one, but, by all means, there are better basses for 250 pounds.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
go for squier standard
or even better for VM p bass
it is really awesome dor that price(IMO better than standard fender)
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by damienblack333
i dont jump on the T-bird or the Pete wentz haterz bandwagon. i've played a T-bird after wanting one and didnt like the feel, my old Dean V played better. and i heard wentz play and played his bass. didnt like either. lol. so i have reasons that are my own.

TS: youre not going to get much for 100 bucks. that wont even cover the wal-mart special first act. i'd look in on, for starters anyways, a squier bass pack or maybe an ibanez pack. i reccomend the squier because its a perfect starter. youre gonan pay roughly 300 for the squier. but youre cheapest bet may be the dean starter pack

i kind of agree with AVA that aria is a really good bass for how cheap they are today. but, like most things, the older ones are ALOT better. i played on one that's really old. that was turned into a frettless. it played beautifully.

was talking to a guy last nite, his band was on after mine,and he owned a T-bird, and he admitted you cant play past the 15th fret, that it neck dives to buggery and its awkward as hell, but he still loved it

some people just like them I guess....

but yeah, TS, good idea would be a starter pack, or going used
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by skippy_moogoose

but yeah, TS, good idea would be a starter pack, or going used

Don't discount the used market. A teacher in the studio I go to picked up a used Aria Pro and a Hartke B300 at a garage sale for <100 USD. Deals like that do exist, but you have do some serious looking.
Quote by tbrady5166
what exactly entales a good bass guitar? for both acoustic and electric

Tone is subjective, as is feel. Impossible to give a perfect bass for everyone.

Though definate things that should be around are poor fret access and neck dive, as these show poor design.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Tone is subjective, as is feel. Impossible to give a perfect bass for everyone.

Though definate things that should be around are poor fret access and neck dive, as these show poor design.

so basically stay away from Gibson/Epihone

yes that's a sweeping statement

but it's pretty much true

EB-0's,EB-3's and Thunderbirds all have those faults
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by skippy_moogoose
so basically stay away from Gibson/Epihone

yes that's a sweeping statement

but it's pretty much true

EB-0's,EB-3's and Thunderbirds all have those faults

What I was trying to be subtle about.

If they can't be bothered to fix basic design faults through laziness, it puts the rest of the instrument into doubt very quickly.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by skippy_moogoose
was talking to a guy last nite, his band was on after mine,and he owned a T-bird, and he admitted you cant play past the 15th fret, that it neck dives to buggery and its awkward as hell, but he still loved it

some people just like them I guess....

All true, but I got so used to the neck dive that I never noticed it. It does have it's problems, but there's just something special about it which anyone who has ever owned one will notice...
i was looking at my local ward-brot and they had this dean acoustic bass and it had some eab or something.....and i know this maybe the noobiest question ever, but and electric-acoustic bass is just ready to be plugged into and amp out of box, or you have to buy some special stuff
Quote by tbrady5166
i was looking at my local ward-brot and they had this dean acoustic bass and it had some eab or something.....and i know this maybe the noobiest question ever, but and electric-acoustic bass is just ready to be plugged into and amp out of box, or you have to buy some special stuff

Just plug it in, it'll be fine.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
hmm, well i started on a yamaha and they are brilliant beginner basses
i'm only just finishing with mine now after too long (3 years)
so try finding a Yamaha RBX 374, they can go cheap

look round www.guitarampkeyboard.com for a good one
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Under 200 bucks anything is going to be crap. Get what you can afford and upgrade when you know what you want.

red flags? make sure it's in one piece when you get it.
SX basses are amazing starters, and can be upgraded easily into amazing mid-range basses, get an SX.
Check talkbass.com's reviews if you're in doubt.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
alright, well my bro's friend used to play bass but got a full drum set so said he would give me his bass, amp, and all needed cords for 150 the bass is a gsr190 by ibanez idk about the amp, is it worth it though? its in good condition

(ps. im not sure if this brakes rules about not asking for guitar vs. threads so if it does i'm extremely sorry and would understand deletion of thread/post)
Quote by Insanity^2
SX basses are amazing starters, and can be upgraded easily into amazing mid-range basses, get an SX.
Check talkbass.com's reviews if you're in doubt.

Do not get SX. They are easily the worse basses I have ever played.

Anyway, TS, here are some thing to look for when buying a bass.

-Hold it in your hands, does it feel good? Comfort is key.

-Play it while it is unplugged. Does it sound good? If it doesn't you will have a difficult time to get a good sound from it.

-Look at the construction. Are there gaps around the pickups? Gaps around the Neck? Any abnormalities in the finish?

-Plug it in and play around. Any buzzing on specific frets? Do certain frets sound dull or dead?

-Fiddle with the knobs. Can you get a variety of sounds? Do you get any issues with sound quality as knobs are turned, or set to a certain level?

If you answered positivily to all of those then it is a good bass.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by tbrady5166
alright, well my bro's friend used to play bass but got a full drum set so said he would give me his bass, amp, and all needed cords for 150 the bass is a gsr190 by ibanez idk about the amp, is it worth it though? its in good condition

(ps. im not sure if this brakes rules about not asking for guitar vs. threads so if it does i'm extremely sorry and would understand deletion of thread/post)

one of my friends owns a gsr190 and he says it's brilliant. one of my other friends who plays guitar agrees that its a good little bass and having tried it for myself, i can also say it's a good bass. i would recommend going for it if you can
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3