I was at a gig recently and noticed the guitarist using a technique I hadn't seen before. As I don't know it's name I will describe what I saw. He seemed to slide his pick (or possibly palm) down the high strings and at the same time speedily tap on the first few frets with his left hand. it produced a 'twinkly' sound that raised in pitch as his right hand got further down the strings. It was very fast and difficult to make out with the crazy woman dancing in front of me constantly, you know the kind you just wana slap? I tried to re-create it when i got home but was unsuccessful. Anyone know what this is called, how to do it and if there are lessons or threads on UG describing it? thanks

EDIT: It was on a Les Paul, don't know if it makes a difference
Last edited by kurt5494 at Feb 22, 2008,
It sounds like harmonics. As you move your hand back more the point where the harmonics are change so you can play an infinite amount of harmonics. Let me see if I can find a youtube video of it, but I'm pretty sure it's just really advanced harmonics.
Yeh, i'm sure it is some kind of harmonic technique but for some reason i can't re-create the effect. It'd be kewl to have someone show or tell me how because i tried a bunch of stuff but it didn't seem to work as well
Well I can't find the vid I was thinking off. Sadly, it was a kick-ass thing I've only seen this one dude talk about. Everyone else just talks about pinched. Anyway, what I was thinking of is movable natural harmonics.

http://www.cyberfret.com/techniques/harmonics/natural/page6.php

so there's all the nat. harms, but if you put your hand across the first fret you basically change the notes of the harmonics. Not that common a technique, but sounds very bell-like distinct like you said. The guy in the vid used the side of his palm, but I can't remember if he pressed down on the strings or not. I don't believe he did, but might as well try both. Sorry I can't be of more help, if someone knows what I'm talking about I'd be interested on hearing more about it too.

The only other thing I can think of that you might be talking about is tapped harmonics, but I highly doubt that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLBFEcvONG)

edit: you would push down with the side of your hand. Here's some discussion about harmonics. Basically, the capo part...

I also feel that when a capo is placed on it, the harmonic scale starts from where the capo is placed. For example, if "capo-ed" at fret 3, the octave harmonic is at 12+3 fret (15 fret), etc.

Another thing...playing the harmonic on the 12 fret is no different from playing it as a normal note on the 12 fret.

http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86962
Last edited by capiCrimm at Feb 22, 2008,
Yeh, it's not tapped harmonics. and i don't think you press on the strings, jus gently tap em but then again i tried that and it didn't go so well
Sounds like a Joe Satriani move. Check out his live San Fran dvd. He does it a bit on there. I think he trills with the left hand between open string and second fret (0-2-0-2-0 etc) on second or third string, and then lightly rests his palm on the strings near the bridge and slides around. This what you're talking about? It's easier with higher gain too.
Pretty sure that's in the Rock You Like a Hurricane solo.

Never tried it, probably helps to have distortion and be using your bridge pickup though.

I think what he might have been doing was pushing the pick into the pickups and then sliding so it's like a super-high hammer-on.
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

EVH does it too, I think. Just do some hammer-ons and pull-offs and slide your pinky finger over the strings with your right hand. Don't press down though, since you're trying to get natural harmonics.

Some guy on Youtube does it:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dDfDVJFQMK8

Edit:
Also here, around 0:40
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WXiKdUFIRV4&feature=related
Studies show that 89.27% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Last edited by lethalagent14 at Feb 23, 2008,
Sounds like a variation of artificial harmonics or octave harmonics. Basically it consists of achieving a natural harmonic through fretting the note and playing a harmonic an octave above. What they seem to be doing is rather than playing a harmonic, they're hammering on and pulling off in such away that just by having their hands in the write place they achieve the harmonics.

For artificial harmonics:

Fret your first finger on the first fret with your left hand. Then place your index finger right hand lightly over the eleventh fret and play the string lightly with your pinky. You should get a harmonic if you're doing it right.

What they're doing is then moving their right hand up to the next octave so their harmonic is an octave higher. I tried this on my acoustic. It's not easy. They probably aren't sliding their hand around randomly and have an order of notes already established.

I'll see if I can get some vids. Hope I helped.
I discovered from a friend who knows the guitarist that it is actually a little more simple than all that. He has sworn me to secrecy as he was sworn to secrecy by the person who told him and seemed to trust me with it but i still learnt some kewl stuff from all you guys that i never really thought about before. Thanx for all the help and stuff!
He has sworn me to secrecy as he was sworn to secrecy by the person who told him and seemed to trust me with it but i still learnt some kewl stuff from all you guys that i never really thought about before.

What are we magicians now? You had to bump this post to tell us that you can't tell us. That is evil. :p
lol, sorry. but please, feel free to discuss what you think it might be. i won't tell anyone but could be the start of a fun game...or just a pointless waste of time
I'm sure that technique is used in one of EVH's songs, I can't recall what it was called though
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Quote by capiCrimm
pretty much what I was talking about.

Yeah, those are just natural harmonics.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.

Yeah, those are just natural harmonics.

actually I remembered exactly what the guy was doing. You barre with your first finger and then you hit the natural harmonics with your other fingers. That was how he was changing the natural harmonics he was hitting.
Quote by capiCrimm
actually I remembered exactly what the guy was doing. You barre with your first finger and then you hit the natural harmonics with your other fingers. That was how he was changing the natural harmonics he was hitting.

Well that wouldn't work the same way, the guy was hammering on and pulling off of the strings to increas the harmonic range and the notes produced were inter-chromatic. Although it's a good idea all the same and was one of many thoughts i had to try and re-create the sound
It's called auto-flanging as I've seen it referred to. I'm not great at it, but I slide the side of my right pinky around the strings starting near the bridge pickup with just enough pressure to sounds different harmonics. The left hand is trilling and it creates a cool little effect for certain licks.