All I want is to sing and play guitar at the same time
Isn't there a simple way to do this without buying expensive equipment and mixers. And isn't there a way to make mic and line in ports work at the same? Or even 2 mic ports: the rear one and the front one, or the rear one and a usb one. Anything simple? I don't really care much about having the BEST sound quality, I just wanna do this for fun and for myself.
What do you people recommend?
m audio mobile pre usb

but after you get into it you will probly want something better
Fender H Stratocaster USA.
SX P90 Mahogany Hawk
Gibson Les Paul Studio Double Cut

Delta Labs Tube Driver
Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion
Delta Labs Stereo Chorus
TC Nova Repeater
Korg Pitchblack Tuner Ped

Fender Super Champ XD
to be honest prolly not.
i needs to have at least 1 mic input
and a instrument jack
or two mic inputs
SX P90 Mahogany Hawk

Delta Labs Tube Driver
Delta Labs Stereo Chorus
TC Nova Repeater

Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by z3pchick
what is this exactly used for then??

i believe that is used in studio so the guy recording can control his headphone level.
i think. idk

you should prolly buy a interface
SX P90 Mahogany Hawk

Delta Labs Tube Driver
Delta Labs Stereo Chorus
TC Nova Repeater

Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by z3pchick
Isn't there a simple way to do this without buying expensive equipment and mixers. And isn't there a way to make mic and line in ports work at the same? Or even 2 mic ports: the rear one and the front one, or the rear one and a usb one. Anything simple? I don't really care much about having the BEST sound quality, I just wanna do this for fun and for myself.

You could have a two-interface system, one that can supply Zero-Latency monitoring so you can hear yourself sing AND the guitar. If so, you could look into good Preamp systems like the ART MPA Gold, which can offer a multitude of tweaking for your voice with variable input, and DI input for your guitar.
Combine it with the M-Audio Delta 44, which can do headphones (with a Y-cable) and output your sound with unnoticeable delay.
It's ~$400 when all said and done. If you want to improve the sound quality, replace the 12AX7 tubes inside the preamp with a name-brand.
After that, I doubt you'd want to upgrade unless you go commercial.
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Feb 23, 2008,
I suggest something like the m-audio 1010LT PCI interface card.
it has a lot of inputs, the Delta 44 will also work with adapters and preamps.

With the 1010LT you have on board preamps and two mic inputs so just mic your guitar or DI it and mic your voice.
run Reaper or some other similar Multi Tracking program and set each input to its own track.
hit record and play your song to the click track.

its always best to record each part separate...it allows cheaper gear to be used but it is nice to have the gear to do more than one track at a time.

The little mixer you posted is to combine 4 mono inputs and send them out to a single set of headphones or something like that...it doest look useful at all for recording.
Quote by z3pchick

Just a note that some folks tend to over look, the Line Input is a stereo input so you could run from a small mixer with a couple of mics' into that just for getting started.

FWIW

Tony