So I went to guitar center and looked for earmuffs for when I play drums, but I couldn't find them there. I also see many drummers with earmuffs on youtube videos, but I can't find anything on the internet about this.

So my question is, is it uncommon or weird to use earmuffs when drumming?

I don't know or have any drummer friends or anything, so if I am calling these the wrong name or something, here's what I am talking about. It's a video of keith moon and he has them on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKUBTX9kKEo

And here's some random kid drumming to achilles last stand - led zeppelin with them on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCQsbo7QCe8

So are these the same kind of earmuffs you would use when hunting or something?

And to people who want to suggest earplugs, I've tried using them but I find them uncomfortable.
you could just use those little plush foam type earbud things and put them in your ears somewhat like some hunters do if the noise is too ridiculous for you
My Drummer used to use Earmuffs all the time!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Standard industrial earmuffs are fine for drumming,

I would definatly recommend using ear protection while playing drums.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Those look like headphones attached to a click track, in keith moon's case, and the kid in the zep video can probably hear the whole track through tem so he can jam along. Just get some high quality tight headphones, that's what you're looking for, right?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
the earmuffs keith moon has there have a wire running out of them. and so does the kids. those are headphones.
i dont understand the point of wearing them. why play the drums if you cant handle the noise?
Quote by deathbat831
if you dont like the noise then why do you play them?

I can't tell if you're failing at being funny or being serious. I like drums but I don't like playing for only about an hour and then having my hearing muffled along with having a high pitched noise in my ears for a whole day, thank you very much.

And someone recommended earplugs, I just find them uncomfortable and I don't like them.

EDIT: to people saying they're headphones, wouldn't you have to put the volume of the music VERY loud on the headphones to play over the drums, which would damage your ears anyways?
Last edited by ilikeguitar90 at Feb 22, 2008,
In both those videos they're using headphones, presumably with click tracks or similar, not earmuffs. You could get some standard army issue ear protection from a surplus shop or something.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
^no i was being serious, but then again, i dont play drums. so i didnt know that. touche sir i shall darken your thread no more. farewell, im going back to the one about better music
Quote by deathbat831
i dont understand the point of wearing them. why play the drums if you cant handle the noise?

Its extremely degrading to your ears.
Quote by deathbat831
^no i was being serious, but then again, i dont play drums. so i didnt know that. touche sir i shall darken your thread no more. farewell, im going back to the one about better music

Sorry man I wasn't trying to be an asshole, I just thought maybe you were trying to be one of those elitist smart-mouth kind of people you know? Anyways i apologize.

And yeah as I've asked before, wouldn't the volume on the headphones need to be very loud to play over the drums, damaging your ears anyways?
drums get very loud so i see where your coming from, i know when playing live some guitarists use ear plugs as well so if those are bad for you go with the tight fitting headphones suggestion, or, use some thin foam over everything to muffle sound a little.(they did that at my old music school and it wasn't to loud.)
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
drums get very loud so i see where your coming from, i know when playing live some guitarists use ear plugs as well so if those are bad for you go with the tight fitting headphones suggestion, or, use some thin foam over everything to muffle sound a little.(they did that at my old music school and it wasn't to loud.)

okay thanks for the tip. I'm also pretty tight on money so would I be able to find tight fitting headphones for about $20 or cheaper? (yes I know, I am very cheap)
I use Remington ear muffs that are used for shooting.
Sienna> Everyone Else
i dont think its wierd, one of my good friends always wears earmuff's when he drums
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMzY5QsGDXM
Quote by Burtonjp
Thats right.. I'm drooling over your body... *walks off and registers as a gay sex offender *

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
I'm a guitarist/singer/keyboardist, but the sound gets overbearing for me, so I use the hunting earplugs. They work the same.
Quote by ilikeguitar90

And yeah as I've asked before, wouldn't the volume on the headphones need to be very loud to play over the drums, damaging your ears anyways?

It's not only the volume that damages you ears, It's mostly the high attack from cymbols, Which is of course is mixed with high volumes.

And Those ear protectors/headphones wouldn't have to play the music as loud as the drums, because the outside of the headphones would shield the sound a great deal.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Go pick some up at Home Depot
Earmuffs are a good thing, I bought some for my drummer (by request) and he really likes them, I use earplugs though.
You guys made me think of using earmuffs instead on ear plugs

Would I look like a fag on stage wearing earmuffs playing guitar?
no you wont look gay cuz when you wear earmuffs you can say whatever you want and you wont hear it. like "****, or ****, or ass, or ****, or balls..."
Quote by Jews
You guys made me think of using earmuffs instead on ear plugs

Would I look like a fag on stage wearing earmuffs playing guitar?

Paul Gilbert does it. Alot of drummers do it. Ear plugs are another route, but I'm not sure which are better
Quote by ilikeguitar90
I can't tell if you're failing at being funny or being serious. I like drums but I don't like playing for only about an hour and then having my hearing muffled along with having a high pitched noise in my ears for a whole day, thank you very much.

And someone recommended earplugs, I just find them uncomfortable and I don't like them.

EDIT: to people saying they're headphones, wouldn't you have to put the volume of the music VERY loud on the headphones to play over the drums, which would damage your ears anyways?

Wear ear protection or the noise will one day never go away.
Wait so in my case would you guys recommend me getting earmuffs or tight fitting headphones?

Because have some pretty crappy headphones (the in-ear ones) for my mp3 player so why not get some headphones to protect my ears as well as enhance the quality of my music while I'm at it?

I only play drums in my room so no live shows or anything.
Last edited by ilikeguitar90 at Feb 22, 2008,