Ok, I've been reading the lessons on here about scales and I understand more than I did but I'm still not fully understanding the concepts. I realize that learning the notes on the fret board will help and I'm working on that, but I still have questions. I see all these articles and lessons showing the 5 scale shapes. Problem is, they are always in a single key, say, A major. I can't figure out how I'm supposed to apply the shapes to other major scales. Like, the arrangement of the shapes for say, A and G major scales aren't the same. I've read and re-read the lessons here but it doesn't seem like it's ever gonna make any sense. I guess I don't know what shape to put where for each scale. I hope this makes sense to you guys and I really hope that one day this will all click in my head. I know it can't be hard to understand. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with it. Thanks for your time.
Quote by Ze_Metal
Can't help you with what you're asking since I'm pretty bad at theory.

However I know my fretboard thanks to...

http://www.download.com/Advanced-FretPro-Guitar-Notes-Chords-and-Scales-Trainer/3000-2133_4-10539899.html?tag=lst-1

Use that if you need any help learning the fretboard. Helps a bunch. =]

Yea, I've been using that to help memorize the notes but it's going pretty slow. How long did it take u to learn the notes using that program?
Well. I had lessons before and I learned to read all the notes in the first position. So I knew those already, Then I had the reference points of relative tuning.

So, I learned the rest of the notes very quickly.

My memory is also very good so I don't think I could give a close estimate to how long it would take.

Try doing 4 frets at a time (There is boxes you can check and uncheck) For 30 mins (Atleast) a day.
Quote by rockadoodle
Ok, I've been reading the lessons on here about scales and I understand more than I did but I'm still not fully understanding the concepts. I realize that learning the notes on the fret board will help and I'm working on that, but I still have questions. I see all these articles and lessons showing the 5 scale shapes. Problem is, they are always in a single key, say, A major. I can't figure out how I'm supposed to apply the shapes to other major scales. Like, the arrangement of the shapes for say, A and G major scales aren't the same. I've read and re-read the lessons here but it doesn't seem like it's ever gonna make any sense. I guess I don't know what shape to put where for each scale. I hope this makes sense to you guys and I really hope that one day this will all click in my head. I know it can't be hard to understand. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with it. Thanks for your time.

The arramgement for scale shapes should remain the same, unless you are only trying to play in 1st poisiton. Take your major scale shape of 24, 124, 134, 134, 24, 12 (I wish i could just draw an insert), if you start on the 5hth fret, there s your A major, if you start on the 3rd....G major. It is not important to know how to play every major scale in 1st position.

When you refer to 5 scale sshapes do you mean, for example, like pentatonic boxes? If so...its the same idea. There are 4-5 different shapes to allow you to play the same scale all over the fretboard with different octaves. You need to start with one shape.....and burn it into your brain. You will eventually want to know the next shape so you can move up one position (about 4 frets), and rock the same scale. You will look much cooler playing a solo from the 3rd to the 17th fret, rather than just playing in the 3-6 fret box.

I hope I make sense.
My advice is this....learn 1 major scale shape and its relative minor scale and shape, and learnthem like they are your name. With this, you will be able to at least jam along with 95% of rock, blues, even new prgressive stuff, like the Fall of Troy.

PM if you want. I wouldnt even mind explaining what you dont understand over the phone.

I remember how frustrated I would get trying to learn theory......most of the time one party is not explaining themselves in the right way,and makes it impossible for the other to comprehend.
Yea I see how you can use the 24, 124, 134, 134, 24, 12 pattern but that is for just one position for each scale. I wanted to play a G major scale with the pattern above, I would start on fret 3 of the low E string and work my way up. If I wanted to play a C major scale I would start on fret 8 on the low E string and work my way up. The thing that gets me is if i want to play a scale somewhere else on the fret board. I can only use that shape ^^^ in one position for each scale because if i move it up or down the fretboard the root note changes. What if I wanted to play say, a G Major scale starting on the 12th fret of the G string? Would I just use the first half of the pattern above since i would only be playing in one octave? Damn, I'm gonna start confusing you guys....
a major scale is W-W-H-W-W-W-H

W means whole-note, lets say, a whole note from A is B, a whole note from B is C#(B and C go together) and H means half which is one fret, lets say, half a note(or step, same thing) from A is A# (or Bb, which is the exact same note, hope you are learning the notes on the fret board)
Ok so, the formula to fin a major scale as said W-W-H-W-W-W-H, lets say you want the G major scale, you go find a G note on your fret board, could be E string 3rd fret, or A string 10th fret; now from there you find a Whole step which is A (following the formula) then another Whole step which is B, now we need a Half step which is C (remember when the note gets too far from the root note (starting note) you can find it one string bellow), you work your way up the formula, the formula for minor scales is W-H-W-W-H-W-W and it works the same. hope you understand.

EDIT:it works the same for every scale, if you want a B major scale do the same, just start from a B note, if you want the C major scale then start from a C note.
Last edited by sucay at Feb 22, 2008,
Well would it just be easier in the long run if I just memorized the notes and kinda forgot about the patterns and shapes for now? I mean, maybe it would be easier if I just tried to memorize what notes are in what scale and where the notes are on the fret board instead of relying on shapes. Maybe thats why I have a mental block- cause I don't know the notes of the fretboard......
Rockadoodle,

Keep working on fretboard knowledge. It's tough at first, but you'll get it.

Really, You don't need to "Memorize" You need to set up reference points. They'll help you find the note you're looking for just as fast as actually memorizing it.

After you start using reference points for a while, you'll learn the notes inbetween the reference points and then you'll be amazing when it comes to fretboard knowledge