I don't want to bother reading, "You can't say what music is better because it's objective." It isn't. And don't just flame everyone who says that your musical taste is terrible either; if everyone says it, it just might be true.

I'd say that better music is some which, musically, consists of more complex chord progressions, and variations, as well as a detailed rhythmic structure. Lyrically, it should be more introspective, original, and relatable than what the average laymen think when they're off and about.

(Thats very general i know, i don't feel like developing it further.)
I like music that can invoke different feelings and emotions in me.

And can be inspiring and influencing.
Quote by IQuitMyDayJob
I don't want to bother reading, "You can't say what music is better because it's objective." It isn't. And don't just flame everyone who says that your musical taste is terrible either; if everyone says it, it just might be true.

Please elaborate on this statement.

It interests me.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by hazzmatazz
I like music that can invoke different feelings and emotions in me.

And can be inspiring and influencing.

+1

and what does "/thread" mean? i see it alot but i dont know what it is
Music...ever since that of the romantic era, has been hear to distill emotion and be a medium of the artist.

Therefore in my opinion great music is music that you feel connected to emotional.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
I agree with everyone else, except for some amount of creativity is required. Also, calling music objective means it CAN be unquestionably defined, I think the word you're looking for is subjective.
Epiphone Riviera Jorma Kaukonen Deluxe
Orange Tiny Terror with a Mesa 2x12 Lone Star
Boss PH-3
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-20
Fender Deluxe Mexi-Jazz
Quote by deathbat831
+1

It's a very jack-assy way of saying "This is the post all UGers should follow, I have just won the thread."
Quote by Rockford_rocks
No kind of music is better than any other kind of music. It's all a matter of preference.

Exactly.

It is completely up to opinion. Period.
The.
It is objective. If I think New Kids on the Block are better than Wagner, that's my own damn business.
two and a half men.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
It's a very jack-assy way of saying "This is the post all UGers should follow, I have just won the thread."

oh ok, thanks
Quote by IQuitMyDayJob

I'd say that better music is some which, musically, consists of more complex chord progressions, and variations, as well as a detailed rhythmic structure. Lyrically, it should be more introspective, original, and relatable than what the average laymen think when they're off and about.

(Thats very general i know, i don't feel like developing it further.)

"You can't say what music is better because it's objective." It isn't. What I'm trying to do is define what makes music more interesting and beguiling. I'm not trying to be told that it's all personal preference, I understand that that plays a part, but you aren't going to listen to All American Rejects and then go ahead and say that their lyricist is twice whatever all this hype that surrounded Bob Dylan ever amounted to.
Quote by deathbat831
+1

it means end of thread
like html would be </font> or </size>

EDIT: im late. lol blame the dial up
Last edited by severed head at Feb 22, 2008,
Quote by Rockford_rocks

No, its not. its from HTML code meaning close thread. Its saying that all that needs to be said has been said.
I'll be your number one with a bullet.
Quote by IQuitMyDayJob

Actually, it is objective. Here's how: I think you're wrong.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Well, from a purely technical viewpoint, some music IS better than others.
Look at all those cover bands on YouTube. Some of them have people who can't follow the beat. Some have people playing and singing the wrong notes. That isn't very musical.

On the other hand, judging between CORRECTLY PLAYED music is all down to preference.

Whether or not you like Green Day, they play very well together.
like Calgone said, it's subjective, not objective, and it is very much subjective

and from the number of people on UG who criticize shredders for over-technicality, you should know that complexity does not equal superiority. a song can have m7 and augmented and add11 chords all over the place, and can still sound like **** compared to a simple G-D-C progression because of vocal style, organization, tension, etc.

Quote by IQuitMyDayJob
"You can't say what music is better because it's objective." It isn't. What I'm trying to do is define what makes music more interesting and beguiling. I'm not trying to be told that it's all personal preference, I understand that that plays a part, but you aren't going to listen to All American Rejects and then go ahead and say that their lyricist is twice whatever all this hype that surrounded Bob Dylan ever amounted to.

i know many teenage girls who would disagree with you there. know why? because it is their OPINION that dylan isn't that great. they are living today, not in the 60s, and songs about universal peace and love aren't appealing to them. songs about break-ups and partying Do appeal to them because they can relate to it.

i can see where you're coming from believing that a song that shows more musical knowledge and lyrical significance would be better, but that is only your opinion. some people just want a quick, poppy song to get them in a good mood and couldn't care less about the message of the music.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
For the love of God... whatever is the point of having ears if you aren't going to listen to what's being said?
Good music is music that you can fap to.

Really though, I agree with the guy (sashki I think) that said music played incorrectly is worse than music played correctly, but when two songs are played correctly, its down to opinion.

EDIT: To the TS, don't be an arrogant prick, its a matter of PREFERENCE.
Deal with it.
Last edited by FelixJZ at Feb 23, 2008,
You can't say one type of music is better than another.
You only think you can.
/thread
Quit my job blowin leaves
Telephone bills up my sleeves

And they were singin like this!
Quote by sixstringsteve
like Calgone said, it's subjective, not objective, and it is very much subjective

and from the number of people on UG who criticize shredders for over-technicality, you should know that complexity does not equal superiority. a song can have m7 and augmented and add11 chords all over the place, and can still sound like **** compared to a simple G-D-C progression because of vocal style, organization, tension, etc.

i know many teenage girls who would disagree with you there. know why? because it is their OPINION that dylan isn't that great. they are living today, not in the 60s, and songs about universal peace and love aren't appealing to them. songs about break-ups and partying Do appeal to them because they can relate to it.

i can see where you're coming from believing that a song that shows more musical knowledge and lyrical significance would be better, but that is only your opinion. some people just want a quick, poppy song to get them in a good mood and couldn't care less about the message of the music.

Are you saying there are people who don't like Dylan!?
two and a half men.
its possible to play live, with real people. leaves an impression
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Better music is music that contains qualities superior to those found in good music, which in turn is superior to bad music.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
I like music if there is a certain part of the song that sticks out in my mind, like good bass/guitar/drums or singing and I think that if it can incorporate all of those at once its quite amazing if I can stand the singer's voice
Quote by bpoeoanry
go back to sleep
Waking up with boobs? Is there a visine for that.