i recently got into a hardcore band and i need to upgrade to a better amp. i found a crate GX-1200H 120 watt guitar amp head with two 4X12 cabinets for $550. this seems like a pretty good deal but i don't really know because ive only ever owned one amp and it was bought for me. From what i've quickly researched this isn't a great head. I read somewhere that it makes a good "brown" sound, but that isn't what i'm looking for. what i'm looking advice for is if this head would be good for a hardcore band and if it isn't, if $550 is still i good deal for two 4X12 cabinets.

EDIT: btw the cabinets are crate cabinets. i'm not sure if that makes a difference or not
Last edited by JWroble at Feb 22, 2008,
good jesus 2 4x12s??? you do not need that much! and they will be low quality, dunno how far you'll get with that budget, really a 30w tube combo would do you, maby stick an od in front
yeah, i don't know much about amps. i suppose it would do me good to look at some of the threads about amps on this site. so would a single cabinet be good then?
ideally just get a combo, you dont need a halfstack (nor can you afford a good one)
but go tubes, solid state=crap in the long run
really? a combo would be fine? the other guitarist in my band said i should try to get a halfstack. of course we are all 15 years of age so maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about?
are you gigging yet?
ive got a 50w tube combo, i can easily get over drums on the 25w option.
a 30w tube combo would be loud enough, and if you need it to be louder later then get an extension cab
got a friend who uses a mesa mark halfstack, he never gets above 5 o clock when gigging
if you go too loud you cant crank your amp and you wont get a good sound
Randall RG50TC or B-52 AT-112.

Look those up. Both pretty high gain tube amps. Both 50 watts. Both way louder than that stack since tubes are about 2.5 times louder than SS of the same wattage.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-60Watt-1x12-Tube-Combo?sku=480046

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197
yeah we have gigs already.

the amp i have now is a spider III 75w. but it isn't a tube combo.... i don't think
Quote by JWroble
yeah we have gigs already.

the amp i have now is a spider III 75w. but it isn't a tube combo.... i don't think

Nope. Not even close. It is a cheap digital modelling amp. If you get one of the amps I mentioned, your sound will be 100 times better IMO.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Nope. Not even close. It is a cheap digital modelling amp. If you get one of the amps I mentioned, your sound will be 100 times better IMO.

IMO too, take this advice
so the other guitarist uses a line 6 half stack. so if i end up buying one of those recommendations am i going to be able to play as loud as him?

EDIT: with good sound quality of course
Quote by JWroble
so the other guitarist uses a line 6 half stack. so if i end up buying one of those recommendations am i going to be able to play as loud as him?

EDIT: with good sound quality of course

Louder than him with 100 times better sound quality. That is if he has a spider half stack. If his is a vetta, yours will still be louder but the sound quality will be about the same.

I bet your friend will laugh when he sees your new amp, but you turn it up and drown out his stack and bring teh br00talz and he won't bother you about it ever again.