I've been playing guitar for about two and a half years and I notice that my picking is a lot slower and less accuate than other peoples'. I think my problem with accuracy is that I mostly move my entire forearm when I play, while people who just move their wrist can play much faster at a higher rate of speed. What should I do? I think it's better to switch to using my wrist, but I won't be nearly as fast as others (I can only play 16th notes at 108 bpm) because they've been using their right hand for their whole life for writing and other things, while I've been using my left. Does anyone have experience with this? Has anyone had this same problem and will I get better? Please let me know if there is an answer to this question as I've only heard mixed impressions on other sites.
some people just can't speed pick that well....like me, but i try to make up for it by having good legato chops
In the NHL, most of the players are right handed, but they handle their sticks lefty. Its all in how you learn. Its the same thing with guitar.

I started off playing acoustic and on acoustic I swing my forarm up and down and use my wrist to hit single, double or triple strings when needed.

One thing that I would suggest is practicing palm muting (putting the meaty side of your hand on the bridge and playing creating a more grungy sound) It is impossible to play with your elbow and palm mute at the same time, which is why it'll help you so much.
Echoing through the stadium were the words of Milamber: "Tremble and despair, for I am power."

My Peeps:
K!rk_Ha(V)(V)et
MaTThe\/\/_BeLlAmY
ChRiS_Wolsten[]-[]oL(V)
The_Anguster
Jolly_Roger_Walters
JoE_PeRrY
\Slash/
Joe_\/\/a[]z[]
Jesus42
I had the same problem, I write with my left hand, but pick guitar strings with my right, and it took my a while to develop the motor function to play notes fast. It just takes time, thats all. Practice, practice, practice. Pay attention to what you're doing with the pick and see what you can do to make it better, try different picking angles, and different amounts of force. Picking with your wrist will also help a lot. What happens when you pick with your forearm is that your using more force on the strings than you should and once you strike the string the pick moves farther away from the string than it should. The key is to keep the pick as close to the string as possible before and after hitting it. That way (in alternate picking) after you strike the string not as much time is wasted bringing the pick back to the string to strike it again.
Gear:
- G&L Tribute Series Legacy Guitar
- Behringer V-tone GM108 15-watt amp
dam i hv the same problem, im a lefty thru and thru, write, kick, throw, eat, watever, everything with my left,
but i play right hand guitar and im really into metal so whenever i do excessive palm muting or gallop palm mutes my right hand really hurts and i cant get that swift wrist motion that righties do.
shud i switch to left or keep at it?
dam i hv the same problem, im a lefty thru and thru, write, kick, throw, eat, watever, everything with my left,
but i play right hand guitar and im really into metal so whenever i do excessive palm muting or gallop palm mutes my right hand really hurts and i cant get that swift wrist motion that righties do.
Quote by sachin2592

Do they make your favorite guitar left-handed?
well, i gotta say the sickest lookin metal guitar ive seen if the razorback, and theyve recently come up with a razorback explosion for lefties :O

but i do hv a schecter hellraiser avenger right now and if i switch it seems like itll be a waste...
but ill do anyhtin to benefit my playing,
i might just buy a lefty strat over the summer and try my luck with that, if i progress faster on that ill keep at it
It is all training. And trust me, you are MUCH closer to shredding on a right-handed guitar than you are learning a left-handed guitar. And there's right handers who pick using their forearm as well. It just comes down to technique and practice.
i used to play a right handed guitar, and i write with my left hand. i tried flipped the strings on my guitar, and right away it felt 100 times better.