Hey, I have a Mexi strat with frets that are seriously starting to wear down. It'll only be a matter of time before I have to replace them. However, I'm wondering if it'd be worth replacing the frets on the strat, or if I should just save up and wait and get an american strat to replace it.

The decision becomes a little harder since I've put some investment in the mexi strat in the way of custom shop 69 pickups and sperzel locking tuners, so going to an american might not be as big of a performance jump that I think.

Also, I'm a lefty guitarist, so finding lefty american strats has historically been difficult for me when looking in places like the guitar center and elsewhere.

Anyway, I guess the question is: replace the frets on an upgraded mexi strat or just wait and get an american strat? If I go with the american strat, would anyone have any idea where I might find a lefty version?
You don't need them replaced the first time they wear down, just get them leveled. Frets can take a few levelings before they need to be replaced.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
refret or even a fret dress can be done.

maybe get a new neck? u can transfer ur sperzel into the new neck.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I wouldn't recommend the razor part, but here's some photos you can get the idea from...

http://www.higgydude.com/fret-dressing/63-tele-fret-dressing.asp

I've used painter's tape to cover the fingerboard and super fine steel wool to smooth out those flat, hard edges you get from playing the the hell out of it. I've done this twice to one of my mex strats, and once to my american. Makes a big difference.

Unless you have no more meat left on the fret, there is no need for a fret job in my opinion.

A little patience and care, and you can dress and polish them yourself in an hour or so. Do a couple search for "fret polishing" and "fret dressing" to get more info on that...
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Its definitely worth a refret on a Mexican... maybe post some pics or take your guitar to a luither.. I wouldn't bother getting a fret dress done being that fender seem to use a weak metal for the frets on mexicans..
Last edited by striker327 at Feb 22, 2008,
you could just get a new neck.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Your cheapest (and in my opinion) better option would be to just have it taken to a tech. Most likely, all it will need will be an inexpensive fret leveling/filing. There's no real need to get a new neck, and unless the frets have already been previously leveled or filed numerous times, there shouldn't be any need to have them either crowned or the neck refretted.

Replacing the neck is just over-kill for an issue like this.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
^ dont fender use a soft metal for mexican strats its probably not worth the trouble for a fret level... just get a re fret. No point waiting another year
The frets will last a little longer than a year. A fret level costs <100 or you can do it yourself, in my area a refret is like $400 so it's certainly not worth it to get a refret as soon as your frets start showing wear.

The frets on Mexican strats aren't made of tin cans, they'll last long enough to get your money out of them.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
take your pups out (if you think you can) and put them in the american.
i have a mim erissue and i couldn' be more happy wit it as the mia version of i tried sounded like crap( a bad 1 got out i s'pose)
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Uhm, you could just get the frets dressed by a tech.

Or if you're worried about an investment you made in your MIM, you could always order a left American Strat and put those pups in it, could you not? I mean, that's if you really wanted to; the simplest answer is just a fret redress if you're happy with your guitar overall
Quote by striker327
does fender use the same type of metal on American standard strats?

No, almost everything is different on the American.

There is a reason for the price gap between the MIM and MIA, unlike Gibson who just charges extra for their Standards so they have higher appeal.

EDIT: What I would suggest doing is visiting a site like (www.warmoth.com) and purchasing a neck from there.

You can even decide if you want to switch to maple or rosewood, and they have all kinds of options for you. They will have the holes pre-drilled for your tuners if you want, so all you have to do is pop them in. You choose the fretwire, neck size, nut size, and if you want exotic woods used like a Flamed Maple back with a Brazillian Rosewood board, or Zebrawood!

You can also be one of the first to have a mahogany neck on your strat .

Go crazy, see what you find, and if not, you can always get a re-fret, which will cost about the same as a brand new neck from warmoth.
High as tits
Last edited by Suicidal_Brick at Feb 23, 2008,
Quote by striker327
does fender use the same type of metal on American standard strats?

The necks are actually made in America (for MIMs) then sent to Mexico for finishing.

Although there are differences, there's actually a lot less differences than people assume there to be between MIAs and MIMs. Main differences are the hardware (pups, tuners, electronics) and finishing.

Bodies are still made the same way, and like I stated before, the necks are even made in the US.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by striker327
^ dont fender use a soft metal for mexican strats its probably not worth the trouble for a fret level... just get a re fret. No point waiting another year

Do you know anywhere that verifies this? I've had a sneaking suspicion that the MIMs have softer frets for a long time but can't seem to confirm it except from the occasional person agreeing. My MIM Strat definitely wore faster than my HWY1.
Like said earlier, get a fret dress or if worse comes to worse just buy a new neck maybe from warmoth.com and have it to your exact specs
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it. I'll probably take it to a tech for a fret dress and keep saving up for a new guitar farther down the line.
Quote by Comfortablylomb
Do you know anywhere that verifies this? I've had a sneaking suspicion that the MIMs have softer frets for a long time but can't seem to confirm it except from the occasional person agreeing. My MIM Strat definitely wore faster than my HWY1.

no i don't but you can see and feel that they are soft
Remember the string gauge you use has alot to do with fretwear

If your using thick gauges your frets are going to wear over timemuch faster then a thinner gauge.

Stainless steel strings too those are fret killers.
Yep. fix the guitar AND buy a new one. I am a big fan of the unnecessary impulse purchase when it comes to gear.
soz.. to bring this thread back up.. but would there be a chance fender would upgrade the metal they use on mexicans...