hey guys. im really getting into classical music. i love it. anyway. i would really like to learn it but im not really that fluent with sheet music. i have most of the basic techniques down i just cant really sight read. would buying a book to try and teach myself classical and to read sheet music at the same time be worth it. i was looking at a $15 mel bay book that i kinda liked. i would just like some opinions and experiences before i go and buy it. thanks
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
i'm not really sure what "teaching myself classical" consists of, but mel bay makes very good books. Can you provide a link to the book you're thinking about buying?
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by C.C. Deville
i'm not really sure what "teaching myself classical" consists of, but mel bay makes very good books. Can you provide a link to the book you're thinking about buying?

well i meant just learning how to fingerpick a bit better and learn a few songs and whatnot. i for the life of me cant find a link to the book now. lol.

EDIT: the searchbar is apparently useful on their site too http://www.melbay.com/product.asp?ProductID=21548BCD&Title=grade+1&mediatype=&Author=&Series=&Difoverall=&Publisher=&Category=G09&SongTitle=&TypeOfSearch=criteria
Quote by Peradactyl

Quote by The_Paranoia
Last edited by a4lrocker at Feb 22, 2008,
The Charles Duncan book "A Modern Approach to Classical Guitar" is quite good.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
i guess thats good a4l but look around a bit more see if you can find anything better
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by C.C. Deville
i guess thats good a4l but look around a bit more see if you can find anything better

thanks...the music shop i was going to buy it from has a ton of books. at least 20 just on classical. so ill ask them and look around a bit. thanks a lot.
Quote by Peradactyl

Quote by The_Paranoia
I started out with the Aaron Shearer books and the conservatory of music books ... but that was back in the 80's not sure what out there today.... anyways

if you are serious about learning classical guitar you should really take some lessons.

I would say yes you will need to learn how to read notation and be verily good at site reading, as long and painful as that may seem .. but it dose get easier as you go!

Good luck to you, I find classical guitar very rewarding
I'm using the Christopher Parkening Guitar Method Volume 1 and I'm enjoying it.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
I started with the Shearer book back in the mid-'80's too. It was decent, but I liked the Duncan series better.

I haven't seen it, but Parkening has enough credibility that I'd support anything he published sight-unseen.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by fdiyen
I started out with the Aaron Shearer books and the conservatory of music books ... but that was back in the 80's not sure what out there today.... anyways

if you are serious about learning classical guitar you should really take some lessons.

I would say yes you will need to learn how to read notation and be verily good at site reading, as long and painful as that may seem .. but it dose get easier as you go!

Good luck to you, I find classical guitar very rewarding

in a few months i should be able to get a job and maybe afford lessons. i didnt expect so many replies so fast. thanks
Quote by Peradactyl

Quote by The_Paranoia