So... i have a peavey valveking 112 and, because i mainly play metalcore i want to get all the gain i need to play the genre... the question is... should i buy an OD pedal (like a tubescreamer o a maxon od808) and overdrive the amp's gain channel or should i buy lets say a metal muff and run it through the clean channel?
i find over drive better for more solo riffing extra, distorition for heavy chug riffing.

and metal muff for sure but depends on what your going to play though usually. i say go to your local shop and try em out see which one fits your style more.
i would, for this genre, just whack out a metal muff pedal and whack it on the clean channels for a lighter tone for soloing or shreading, and then for dirty dark pounding riff type thing whack onto the distortion channel with it and just OD it on there, all an OD pedal is simulataes what happens when you overdrive you amp in imput, making it distorted,,, so just add the imput volume with the muff pedal and open the gain right up to 11 and grind the **** out of it
yeah...im actually looking for that chunky palm muted chugga chugga sound xDD but i dont want a digital sounding tone... i want a warm natural tone
Last edited by cedaguol at Feb 22, 2008,
Quote by cedaguol
yeah...im actually looking for that chunky palm muted chugga chugga sound xDD but i dont want a digital sounding tone... i want a warm natural tone

then line 6 uber metal is what your looking for great too cause it has a gate which cuts extra sound.
The digitech hothead is only like 40 bucks on ebay, or cheaper. i bought it just to check it out, it doesnt sound digital, I really like the sound out of it. Its really clear and natural. Maybe not as good as the really expensive pedals, but it does for what you pay. Its just an idea. I liked the Digitech Metal Master alot though.