I have a fender princton 65 DSP. What pedal should I get for a VH-esque tone? I also have a fender strat.
Though a Marshall or Peavey valve amp (with a bridge humbucker) would be better.
Quote by blue_strat
Though a Marshall or Peavey valve amp (with a bridge humbucker) would be better.

i wish i had that money
umm.................danelectro or DOD pedals? what are you trying to achieve. the gain or the special modulations he uses?
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by giternator
umm.................danelectro or DOD pedals? what are you trying to achieve. the gain or the special modulations he uses?

the gain
Quote by giternator

don't danelectro pedals suck
Quote by flamefox14
don't danelectro pedals suck

yeah well, u havent said how much u have to spend so i said the cheapest. yeah they suck but budget is necessary for us to recommend effectively.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by giternator
yeah well, u havent said how much u have to spend so i said the cheapest. yeah they suck but budget is necessary for us to recommend effectively.

i'm talking $100 and below
Quote by giternator
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DOD-Overdrive-Preamp250-Reissue-Pedal?sku=150070 this maybe?

or this perhaps http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-Daddy-O.-Overdrive-Pedal?sku=151850

i cant vouch for either, what are u looking to spend. because i would suggest a boss ds-1 for a good crunch.

which would be better the pedal in the 1st link or the boss ds-1 4 vh
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by flamefox14
which would be better the pedal in the 1st link or the boss ds-1 4 vh

sorry im not much help on the VH tone. but there are tons of options under 100 bucks for a good OD pedal. just go try some and find what you like or just sit and wait for someone as adament about VH as you to suggest something.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
^ I've heard that the silver TS sucks and the DS-1 is a distortion pedal not an OD.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by giternator

do u have any of the pedals
Quote by soul_power
^ I've heard that the silver TS sucks and the DS-1 is a distortion pedal not an OD.

even tho its called distortion its actually an OD. its one of those rare cases -_-. and he is using a solid state amp so it should be alright anyways, running on clean and using that as his tone.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by flamefox14
do u have any of the pedals

i have played the boss ds-1 and i liked the tapping sounds i got out of it

i have a boss super overdrive but thats weak in comparison to the ds-1.

but like i said, i really dont know what a van halen tone may be, sounds brown to me......and lots of pedals/amps can get a brown sound so all i can say is go try some pedals.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by giternator
even tho its called distortion its actually an OD. its one of those rare cases -_-. and he is using a solid state amp so it should be alright anyways, running on clean and using that as his tone.

so i should still get a distortion pedal over an overdrive right?
can the boss ds1 get the same distortion like vh's you really got me, cuz that's where i'm aiming
Wait, can someone elaborate on this "DS-1 is actually an OD" theory?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
I can get some pretty good VH tones out of my Boss SD-1. Eddie actually used the SD-1 in the '90s, I think during the Balance tour. I spent at least an hour messing with the EQ on my amp and with the knobs on the SD-1 and I'm pretty happy with the result. Combined with my MXR EVH Phase 90 and some slapback delay, it sounds great.

But, you're using a solid state amp, so a distortion would be better for you. You should try the DS-1, and if you like it, get it, but I'm not going to recommend it to you. I think the tone is scratchy and it sounds worse when you crank the drive, but that's just personal preference.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Quote by mike.h
Wait, can someone elaborate on this "DS-1 is actually an OD" theory?

im not much for the technical know how but i did read somewhere in some article explaining the difference between OD and dist thru a diagram. dist circuits are made differently than OD circuits or something like that. the article used the ds-1 as an example for an overdrive.

but w/o getting technical (since i dont know how >_>, i used it once to boost the gain on a b-52 at-100 at guitar center and it didnt sound like trash like a metal zone or something similar would. boost = OD color/trash = dist. there are exceptions for both sides but im like 90% sure the ds-1 is an OD.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by Bpags868
I can get some pretty good VH tones out of my Boss SD-1. Eddie actually used the SD-1 in the '90s, I think during the Balance tour. I spent at least an hour messing with the EQ on my amp and with the knobs on the SD-1 and I'm pretty happy with the result. Combined with my MXR EVH Phase 90 and some slapback delay, it sounds great.

But, you're using a solid state amp, so a distortion would be better for you. You should try the DS-1, and if you like it, get it, but I'm not going to recommend it to you. I think the tone is scratchy and it sounds worse when you crank the drive, but that's just personal preference.

are ds1's good 4 pinch harmonics?
Quote by flamefox14
are ds1's good 4 pinch harmonics?

To tell you the truth, pinch harmonics are more about your technique than the pedal/amp you are using. But any distortion/OD will boost the volume of your pinch harmonics. If you have good technique, they will sound nice, loud, and clear.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Quote by Bpags868
To tell you the truth, pinch harmonics are more about your technique than the pedal/amp you are using. But any distortion/OD will boost the volume of your pinch harmonics. If you have good technique, they will sound nice, loud, and clear.

when i do the pinch harmonic on my amp it doesn't get as loud as when vh or any band doing a ph
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Again, technique.

I was fooling around on my uncle's old crappy nylon classical guitar, and got pinch harmonics.

loud ones. do u know where's a site i can improve on making them louder
Quote by Bpags868

Agreed. I would try both actually. The SD-1 though is almost a distortion from what I've experienced when testing it it out with a Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue. I had good luck with the MXR Distortion+ for EVH tones, as it had a bit more gain than the DOD YJM/250, sounded smoother, and had the perfect amount of bass response for EVH. Really wish I hadn't traded it.