I got my first guitar recently and people are telling me to get pickups. I don't get it. What do they do? Do they help you when you drop your pick?
the pickups are the things that are right under the strings, and usually have several metal circles poking out. They pick up the vibrations from your springs and transfer them into the sound that goes the output of your guitar.
the pickups are the little things under your strings that makes your amp get signal from the guitar, but since you don't even know what they are, i would recommend not getting different ones right now. they really only make a big change when you have an extremely nice amplifier.
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Find your way to the red-light district and look for Sally. Have her follow you to your place.
sorry to be a huge douche, but i lol'd and then sigged this. :P you sir, or madam, just made my night. see those big things under the strings? those are pickups. they're what makes your guitar have sound through an amp.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Do they help you when you drop your pick?

Classic! xD.
Your post has been sigged.

They are the parts of your guitar which pick up (hence the name pickup) the vibrations from the strings, creating a signal which is later turned into sound by an amplifier.

If you look at a picture of a guitar, they are the rounded rectangular shapes under the strings.

On a side note, britneyspears69 as a name is... (someone else can finish this)

Hope i helped!
Derp.
Sigged
Quote by britneyspears69
I got my first guitar recently and people are telling me to get pickups. I don't get it. What do they do? Do they help you when you drop your pick?
Quote by muse-ik
sorry to be a huge douche, but i lol'd and then sigged this. :P you sir, or madam, just made my night. see those big things under the strings? those are pickups. they're what makes your guitar have sound through an amp.

Oh, ok. So those are how the string noise gets to that box thing. I get it now. Ok, so I understand pickups now. Is there anything else I can use to get my pick when I drop it?
Quote by britneyspears69
Oh, ok. So those are how the string noise gets to that box thing. I get it now. Ok, so I understand pickups now. Is there anything else I can use to get my pick when I drop it?

your self esteem.

Oh wait, that's gone.

BURRRN
...is there anything else i can use to get my pick when i drop it?

Your hand? xD
Derp.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I smell a multi.

I listen to you. You said no one listens to you. I do. You are a very smart man!
Pretty sure this user is a joke... just posting the most stereotypical guitar noob things across this subforum
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I smell a multi.

I smell it too...
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Quote by mike.h
Pretty sure this user is a joke... just posting the most stereotypical guitar noob things across this subforum

And that is different than 80% of the posts in here how?
wow.....I dont need another bong hit after this thread. I just lost 1,369 brain cells just for reading it.
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
Wow, you guys are mean. The saying is when in rome, right? Well I am just trying to imitate what everyone else does in here. And you tease me for it? I am going to tell on you.
Quote by icon_player_5
I smell it too...

Indeed.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
yes. scares me a bit.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.