So I've been playing my American Deluxe Strat for about 3 months now, and I love everything about it except that I can't always get the pinch harmonic sound I want out of it.

I mostly play SRV, Hendrix, and Zeppelin, but I am becoming increasingly interested in metal like Pantera.

My question is, would buying a replacement pickup for just the bridge slot fix my problem with pinch harmonics and give me more of the tone I want in a Cemetery Gates and other metal songs?

I would rather not replace all of the p/u's partially because of how much it would cost and partially because I really like the tone of the neck and middle p/u's.

Would the S-1 switching system complicate any pickup changes I would want to make and would this even be a good decision to begin with?
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I would not touch the MIA dlx. If you are getting into metal, just go after a decent metal guitar. Schecter is a guitar company that makes a bunch of different guitars utilizing active EMGs. Try them out for size.
A humbucker *should* do the trick. Look into other pups aswell, like Seymour Duncan etc... they may go better with your stock ones.
if you do go for a different guitar, try deans. what dimebag played and you an get them with EMG's as well, or ESP
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Quote by icon_player_5
if you do go for a different guitar, try deans. what dimebag played and you an get them with EMG's as well, or ESP

Seeing as I spent the majority of my summer job money on that deluxe, I don't think I really want to go ahead and purchase another guitar. I do have a MIM Strat that I kindof wanted to mess around with modding, maybe a set of Seymour Duncs or EMGs in that would work?
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
On second thoughts, yeah - mod your Standard Strat. Keep your Deluxe completely stock!
Mixing active pickups and passive is pain in the butt. It can be done just alot easier to go one or the other.
Quote by Tackleberry
Mixing active pickups and passive is pain in the butt. It can be done just alot easier to go one or the other.

good advice,

i guess it would make sense to just toss a set of active p/u's in my mexi if I was to do anything but buy a new guitar.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
im thinking of doing the same thing to my fat strat, except i might put CS 54s on mine...i actually just posted a question about it before i saw this...im still asking myself if i really want to though
dunno has been answered personally im too lazy to read through anything which means I prob shouldn't even say anything... but anyways..

Basically for pinch harmonics you need lots of treble and the more volume the better. But high output pups can help a lot too. And of course actives. But you also dont wanna mix actives and passives
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
You can get the emg active kits with pickguard and just drop in the mim. Emgs pretty much dont care what you drop them, in they have a tendency to sound the same in anything.