I want to teach someone how to play bass guitar.

But the problem is I have never played bass in my life.

Is it possible for me to teach someone how to play bass with the knowledge i have with a six string electric???????

I would like to know your opinion>
Yeah. It's not like you can go all out and teach theory but teach 'em a few songs. Simple things, I do that to a lot of my friends. There will be some differences but you can teach up to a beginner level.
yes, the question is are you a competent teacher...

but come up with a few simple lines and teach scales and youll be fine.

also dont make him use a pick. its against the rules of the bass forums.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
It is not. That would be like telling a violin player to teach someone how to play cello. It would not end well.

You can perhaps teach them tuning, or theory if you know it, but as for actual playing of the thing, you cannot do.
sure it is, the only major difference is the right hand.
if they can figure out how to use their fingers instead of a pick, your home free.
I would have a little pacience though, bass guitar is slightly harder than guitar becuase the frets are farther spaced, so it will take a little time for their fingers to get used to that, especially their pinky.
Quote by Tehzekester
1. Find a hot chick's myspace.
2. Get lotion.
3. Look at pr0nz.
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

Quote by Sid McCall
so I said: "those aren't the couch cushions, those are my testicles!"

Add Me
Quote by offbeat
sure it is, the only major difference is the right hand.
if they can figure out how to use their fingers instead of a pick, your home free.
I would have a little pacience though, bass guitar is slightly harder than guitar becuase the frets are farther spaced, so it will take a little time for their fingers to get used to that, especially their pinky.

Do you even know what you're talking about? Just because they're similar doesn't mean you can teach them. I can play the clarinet, and I'm not out giving saxophone lessons. They're two different instruments that require two different methods of learning.

On second thought, my analogy sucked and IndianRockStar's was way better.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Last edited by Hergiswi at Feb 23, 2008,
Quote by Hergiswi
On second thought, my analogy sucked and IndianRockStar's was way better.

WOOOHOOO!!! I WIN!!! ONE TO NUTHIN' BABY!!!

Tenacious D FTW

And to add, do you want to teach this person bass just to be in your band?
Quote by IndianRockStar
WOOOHOOO!!! I WIN!!! ONE TO NUTHIN' BABY!!!

Tenacious D FTW

And to add, do you want to teach this person bass just to be in your band?

Yeah its my gf im thirteen and she is to.

She wants to learn I can teach what little I know about music theory.

As far as playing I would have to pick up the bass guitar myself and play.
Honestly I don't really see the point in trying.. Since you two are so young why don't you just let her pick up bass on her own. Sure, you can tell her a bit of theory.. but that's about it really.
Gear:

Basses:
2008 American Standard Fender Jazz
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Ashdown MAG 300 C410T + 1x15
Effects:
SansAmp 3-Channel Bass Driver D.I.
dumbasses, I have played both and I can say that they are the same instrument with differernt fret spacing and number of strings. any guitar player could play bass if they practiced for 8 seconds to get used to it. and they do not really have different tunings like the cello/violin or different chord shapes like the clarinet/sax. it is a giant guitar, 1 octave lower, without the 2 highest strings. much of bass playing is the first 2 strings behind the 5th fret, so teach her some riffs like that.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
Quote by rhakiath
dumbasses, I have played both and I can say that they are the same instrument with differernt fret spacing and number of strings. any guitar player could play bass if they practiced for 8 seconds to get used to it. and they do not really have different tunings like the cello/violin or different chord shapes like the clarinet/sax. it is a giant guitar, 1 octave lower, without the 2 highest strings. much of bass playing is the first 2 strings behind the 5th fret, so teach her some riffs like that.

Well, you just got yourself reported.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
you can't teach her how to be victor wooten or anything, but you can show her the very basics.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Contrary to what some people believe, they are completely different instruments. Granted, you could teach her some songs by following root notes, and even teach fills and such, but bass and guitar have completely different feels. Guitarists play guitar with a guitarist's touch and bassists play bass with a bassist's touch. Does that make sense?

It's like, you can learn to play a song note for note and it will sound perfectly fine, but when you add your own little touches is when it makes it into something special. That's not something you can teach.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
you can't teach her how to be victor wooten or anything, but you can show her the very basics.

a friend of mine who plays guitar said he'd help me with that, so if you can teach the basics like muting notes, maybe how to change strings but for the most part, i'll be learning on my own. that's really the best you can do, jamming together on a song you both know might help too
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Quote by rhakiath

She will most probably end up with terrible techniqe, feel, attitude towards playing, timing, and overall sound, but you guitarists just know everything about bass, aren't you?
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I can speak English pretty well - should I start teaching a friend French?
Quote by rhakiath

O.k let's discuss this statement.

dumbasses

Not a good way to start a post. Ever.

I have played both and I can say that they are the same instrument with differernt fret spacing and number of strings.

I have played both, and I think they are entirely different instruments that use different techniques, and have various numbers of strings. (6, 7, 12 for guitar; 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, 17 for bass)

any guitar player could play bass if they practiced for 8 seconds to get used to it.

And by that you mean any guitarest could play "Smoke on the Water" or pound root notes on bass.

and they do not really have different tunings like the cello/violin or different chord shapes like the clarinet/sax.

Comparing Cello to Violin wow, let's compare apples and oranges next! And let's think 6 string guitar - EADGBE 6 string bass - BEADGC But wait, that's not the same! I begining to think someone doesn't know what they're talking about.

it is a giant guitar, 1 octave lower, without the 2 highest strings.

No, it's an electric bass, it's a small version of the doublebass (Upright bass, you know the big one, I'm only saying this because of your cello to violin comment) and I've already said it can have much more than 4 strings.

much of bass playing is the first 2 strings behind the 5th fret,

Somebodies only listened to Fall Out Boy their entire life. Which leads me to wonder about your sexualality....

so teach her some riffs like that.

So tell her to take advice from some random guitar dude the saunders on into the bass forum to do a flagrant troll post. Flames basses and all people who play it. Good job buddy, you just got ban-hammered! I look forward to making fun of you in the FOTB.
How can you teach someone to play an instrument that you've never played in your life?
Guitar and bass are actually two completely different instruments, and most guitar players don't see that.

So, no, you shouldn't give bass lessons.
"Acoustic Guitars are totally lame and not metal"- Nathan Explosion
If it were me, I'd teach them guitar first. Get him/her to get the main chords and the whole pentatonic scale nailed, then move onto bass. It'll help them follow guitar chords in future. and the guitar will be kinder on the fingers
Well, all you need to know to play any instrument by yourself is music theory, teach him how to read in the bass clef and how to play though the bass, in some time it should be easy to play it alone without any guideance

Well, at least it worked for me like that and look at me now ;D im playing like nayone else in the bunch, who knows hehe i might even be better and ive alredy made some compositions of my own.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Would you let a Cricket coach manage a football team? Or would you play hockey with a cricket bat?

There is your answer, personally I wouldn't teach someone bass, mainly because they would have had no experience, it is like letting a bass player teach you guitar :p
Quote by smb
I can speak English pretty well - should I start teaching a friend French?

/thread. Seriously.

And yes I do know, I've played both, and taught beginners on both. The differences are that significant.