Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar
Retro Gunslinger
25 32%
PGM301
54 68%
Voters: 79.
Page 1 of 2
Alright im getting the moeny next month and this is going to be my final question thread. Ive Narrowed it down yet again. im looking for an Electric Guitar to do 80's Hair Metal and Some Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Satriani stuff too on occasion.

B.C Rich Gunslinger Retro in Red

or

Ibanez PGM301 WITH a Floyd Rose installed After i buy.

A Floyd is a deffinite Must, id really rather not have a single coil in the middle on the PGM cuz it interferes with picking but i can always have it Lowred. Both guitars seem to be good Quality, Nice Pickups. Id Like a 24 Fret Neck, like the PGM has, but The Gunslinger is more 80's i guess, and i think it may do the tones better. I Have at most 1000 to spend, maby a bit more. They are selling the PGM on zzsounds blemished for $999, and like 1200 new. Im also buying a Ceriatone Plexi so that takes around 800-900 out of my 2000 Total Budget. Sorry for the wall of text, cheers!

EDIT: I will most certainly Check both guitars out at a Shop if at all possible, by the way
Last edited by Tubyboulin at Feb 23, 2008,
The Assassin. The Floyd is already in the mix. Straight out of the box, for $600. Hell, buy both!
Buying a new guitar with the idea tht you're going to re-route it and spend a few hundred in upgrade costs tells me that you should consider a different axe.
Love Paul Gilbert, love Ibanez, but that's where I'm at.
When Paul was with Racer X, he had a BCR Mockingbird in pink that was routed for a FR, and he had it filled in to run a hardtail. So, you may want to stick with a fixed bridge if you're a total PG fanboy.
I am a BCR fanboy, so I say go with the Assassin.
Yeah with the Routing, i was just hoping to be able to do the Whammy bar stuff like steve Vai and a lot of the 80's guitarists used. If i like the hard-tail i might not get it, but My uncle would be able to give me a decent deal on getting a FR installed if i chose to have one. hes a Luthier.

Stratpat, that PGM is Brilliant

EDIT: By the way, i Already own a Gibson SG that id use for more Classic Rock stuff, Its been modded a bit. new pups and stuff, so I Really dont need a guitar to do anything but 80's and Shreddy just for clarification, incase anyone was taking that into account.
The PGM obviously

But don't Floyd it. Please

EDIT: Stratpats picture is amazing
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
dotn get an ibanez
1, its a sig
2, its super ugly w/ f-holes
3, its an ibanez
i've bc riches have been getting better, especially the higher end ones
Quote by init24
dotn get an ibanez
1, its a sig
3, its an ibanez

Okay, fantastic logic there.

How the hell can you say it's ugly, well, more to the point, who's to say he does? And also, Ibanez aren't bad guitars. Sure, they have some bad models, but then again, look at our oh so famous friend, Mr. Bronze Warlock. Way to voice an intelligent opinion...jagoff.

But yeah, I'd go with the Ibanez, solely on experience with them.
One Question bout the Ibanez though. it says its got a "JEM Single Coil" in the middle, Does this meen its a Single Coil Evolution? Cuz i thought that the JEMs used Evolutions in all positions, except for the One variation of it that has Breeds. I could be wrong though.
If I was you, I wouldn't spend the extra money on a mildy overpriced sig guitar, just to spend more money modding it. Instead, just get an RG Prestige; they have basically the same neck as a PGM (1mm thinner though), and swapping pickups is a hell of a lot easier and cheaper than routing for a Floyd.

But you know, RG Prestiges don't have maple fretboards, and superstrat+maple fretboard=ultimate sexyness.

Another thing; for the single coil, I thought this up last night: just take it out, paint a piece of wood to look like a pick up, and jam it in the cavity If it's a PGM, you already have painted on f-holes, so why not a painted on pickup too?
Quote by which ones pink
If I was you, I wouldn't spend the extra money on a mildy overpriced sig guitar, just to spend more money modding it. Instead, just get an RG Prestige; they have basically the same neck as a PGM (1mm thinner though), and swapping pickups is a hell of a lot easier and cheaper than routing for a Floyd.

But you know, RG Prestiges don't have maple fretboards, and superstrat+maple fretboard=ultimate sexyness.

+1, unless you have your own workshop, routing is too much bother if you ask me.

those bc riches look cool (from an 80s perspective); time will tell if they're any good, though. I haven't tried them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1, unless you have your own workshop, routing is too much bother if you ask me.

those bc riches look cool (from an 80s perspective); time will tell if they're any good, though. I haven't tried them.

My uncle is a Luthier who could do it cheaper. But as i said earlier, i might just Keep the hard tail if i really like it. I think id enjoy a floyd, but i guess it isnt necassary.
Go with the PGM, i think it will suit you better
My Gear

Fender '60s Strat
Mesa/Boogie F-30
Cry Baby Wah Pedal
1976 Les Paul Custom
Alright, thanks everyone for your Input. I Think im Gonna go with the PGM

Where would i be without UG, eh? haha

EDIT: If i order off of zzsounds(used probobly) or Get it from a Shop, itll come with a hardshell case right?
Last edited by Tubyboulin at Feb 23, 2008,
Quote by Tubyboulin

EDIT: If i order off of zzsounds(used probobly) or Get it from a Shop, itll come with a hardshell case right?

It should do. I have seen it advertised on GAK and other places with a Hard case
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by Tubyboulin
My uncle is a Luthier who could do it cheaper. But as i said earlier, i might just Keep the hard tail if i really like it. I think id enjoy a floyd, but i guess it isnt necassary.

ah that's different, lol.

but if your uncle is a luthier, why not just get him to build you one from scratch?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah that's different, lol.

but if your uncle is a luthier, why not just get him to build you one from scratch?

Well, he usually just builds Acoustics but he can route out stuff on electrics, plus Building me one would cost a hell of a lot more Than just getting a floyd

Im not sure if hes ever even attempted building an electric...
The Ibanez will cost FAR more than the BC Rich and involve needless hours of work.

Go for the Gunslinger.

Quote by TwilightX
Okay, fantastic logic there.

How the hell can you say it's ugly, well, more to the point, who's to say he does? And also, Ibanez aren't bad guitars. Sure, they have some bad models, but then again, look at our oh so famous friend, Mr. Bronze Warlock. Way to voice an intelligent opinion...jagoff.

But yeah, I'd go with the Ibanez, solely on experience with them.

Ibanez pickups suck, and the quality control is bad.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Feb 24, 2008,
Quote by MetalMilitia212
The Ibanez will cost FAR more than the BC Rich and involve needless hours of work.

Go for the Gunslinger.

If i can afford, i dont see why i shouldnt go for it If its better.

When i was going to buy an SG, i had the money for a Gibson but everyone said go with Epiphone cuz they are cheaper. im now the proud owner of a Gibson SG and i do NOT regret the decision.

By the way, its got DiMarzio Pickups and i think its Made in Japan.
Quote by Tubyboulin
Well, he usually just builds Acoustics but he can route out stuff on electrics, plus Building me one would cost a hell of a lot more Than just getting a floyd

Im not sure if hes ever even attempted building an electric...

oh ok.

Quote by MetalMilitia212

Go for the Gunslinger.

MIJ ibanez QC is pretty decent, actually. i'd be more wary of the BC rich in terms of QC than that (MIJ) ibanez.

granted, it is a bunch of extra work, and i wouldn't want to do it myself.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh and the pgm has dimarzio pickups, much as the bc rich does. o_O I don't really see what your point is on that one.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh and the pgm has dimarzio pickups, much as the bc rich does. o_O I don't really see what your point is on that one.

I Dont think he knew. This is why people shouldnt Diss products they dont know anything about, Let alone give advice to people regarding said product.
Quote by Tubyboulin
If i can afford, i dont see why i shouldnt go for it If its better.

When i was going to buy an SG, i had the money for a Gibson but everyone said go with Epiphone cuz they are cheaper. im now the proud owner of a Gibson SG and i do NOT regret the decision.

By the way, its got DiMarzio Pickups and i think its Made in Japan.

Because they're about the same quality. Same bridge, similar pickups, both good body woods, better tuners.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212

Go for the Gunslinger.

You have no clue what you are talking about.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
You have no clue what you are talking about.

Actually, I know exactly what I'm talking about. I have an S series Ibanez that was literally falling apart out of the box, and my friend plays an S Prestige that has had serious trem problems. The pickups may be good on the Ibanez, but then again so are the B.C. Rich's.
Dickless.
Quote by Tubyboulin

Ibanez PGM301 WITH a Floyd Rose installed After i buy.

A Floyd is a deffinite Must

EDIT: I will most certainly Check both guitars out at a Shop if at all possible, by the way

O.k., two things:

-look at the PGM100 and the PGM300:

Besides, Paul's main 301 is actually a 300.

or the budget option:

And thing two: finding a PGM301 in a shop can be tricky. Most stores only order them when someone has already paid for the guitar, or atleast put down a deposit.

Quote by StratPat
This PGM

or this one:

Quote by init24
dotn get an ibanez
1, its a sig
3, its an ibanez

1 Yes, it's a sig, but it has a pretty modest price tag, especially compared to, let's say, the JEM.

2 The F-holes are kickass

3 Yes it is and that's a good thing

Also, the Gunslinger as nice as it may look is not really a high end model, nor has it been released yet, making any quality related discussion pointless.

Quote by Tubyboulin
One Question bout the Ibanez though. it says its got a "JEM Single Coil" in the middle, Does this meen its a Single Coil Evolution? Cuz i thought that the JEMs used Evolutions in all positions, except for the One variation of it that has Breeds. I could be wrong though.

There are a few variatons, but I won't go into that.

And, yes, it is most likely an Evolution middle single coil.

On a semi-related note, Paul is using more single coils these days, one of them being ripped out of a cheap starter pack model.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Feb 25, 2008,
Quote by Tubyboulin
I Dont think he knew. This is why people shouldnt Diss products they dont know anything about, Let alone give advice to people regarding said product.

Quote by MetalMilitia212
Actually, I know exactly what I'm talking about. I have an S series Ibanez that was literally falling apart out of the box, and my friend plays an S Prestige that has had serious trem problems. The pickups may be good on the Ibanez, but then again so are the B.C. Rich's.

you know jack shit. no offence.

what year was that s prestige and s of yours? what models?

Quote by Bonsaischaap
OAlso, the Gunslinger as nice as it may look is not really a high end model, nor has it been released yet, making any quality related discussion pointless.

agreed. the gunslinger, on paper, looks kickass. but it could suck, as no-one has tried it. An OFR and DiMs won't mean jack if the guitar is a P.O.S.

(also, watch those pgms with trems don't have lo-trs or edge III trems... if they do, i'd avoid)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by StratPat
This PGM

Omg japanese designers actually have no soul :stickpoke

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
I'd be leaning towards the Gunslinger 'cause I don't like the fake f-holes. But since the Gunslinger isn't actually out in stores yet, you can't try it out.. You really shouldn't consider a guitar if you can't try it or a similar model.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by philjay
Omg japanese designers actually have no soul :stickpoke

That wasn't painted by Ibanez.

It's a stock PGM modified by Sims Customs; it's one out of two, with the first one being the Smiley PGM I posted.
Quote by Kanthras
But since the Gunslinger isn't actually out in stores yet, you can't try it out.. You really shouldn't consider a guitar if you can't try it or a similar model.

agreed. "Good on paper" means you should strive to try one out as soon as possible. Not order it sight-unseen.

Apart from anything, "good on paper" generally means it's good value for the spec, which means you want to try it to make sure they haven't cut corners to let them still make a profit on that spec.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

what year was that s prestige and s of yours? what models?

S Prestige (S2170FW) was 2007, mine (S470DXQM) was 2006. The problem I see with most Ibanez trems is that the parts besides the metal are garbage, specifically the socket for the tremolo arm. It still doesn't change the fact that the Ibanez is the same guitar as the BC Rich, except more money.
Dickless.
those are both korean ibanezes, you fuckwit. If you're judging MIJ ibanez RGs by the two korean S-series guitars you've tried (which, by the way, don't even have the same trem as the MIJ ibanezes, and more's the point, are completely different guitars), you're an idiot.

There, I said it. I might get a warning, but I don't care.

EDIT: and as bonzai has kindly pointed out below, the rg is completely different from the bc rich too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 25, 2008,
Quote by MetalMilitia212
S Prestige (S2170FW) was 2007, mine (S470DXQM) was 2006. The problem I see with most Ibanez trems is that the parts besides the metal are garbage, specifically the socket for the tremolo arm. It still doesn't change the fact that the Ibanez is the same guitar as the BC Rich, except more money.

BC Rich:                       Ibanez:

22 fret                        24 fret
HS or H configurati            HSH configuration
OFR                            hardtail
unknown origins                MIJ (Presige)
alder                          basswood
3-way or no switch             5-way switch

On top of that the Ibanez has the AANJ, different DiMarzio pickups, a five piece neck, the Wizard II profile, Gotoh tuners and the paintjobs are of course different, too.

Just for anyone who doesn't know these guitars:

BC Rich Gunslinger Retro:

maple board
22 jumbo frets
probably Chinese, Korean, etc.
25.5" scale
OFR bridge
alder body
Grover tuners
regular bolt-on neckjoint

Red:

Dimarzio Super Distortion and a double blade
3-way switch
volume and tone controls

Yellow:

Slanted DiMarzio Super Distortion
volume control

Ibanez PGM301:

maple fretboard
24 jumbo frets
MIJ Prestige
5 piece neck (wenge and maple) with Wizard II profile
hardtail bridge
Dimarzio PAF Pro neck and bridge, JEM middle single coil
Gotoh tuners
5 way switch
single volume control
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Feb 25, 2008,
Quote by Dave_Mc

(also, watch those pgms with trems don't have lo-trs or edge III trems... if they do, i'd avoid)

Ill remember that, although i thought most of the PGM's with trems got Discontinued? on ibanez USA and Canada sites they only list the 301.

EDIT: Thanks Bonsaischap for outlinging the differences in models.
^ yeah, i think so, but i can remember one from an older (2000, i think?) catalogue with a lo-trs, which is a crap trem.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tubyboulin
Ill remember that, although i thought most of the PGM's with trems got Discontinued? on ibanez USA and Canada sites they only list the 301.

EDIT: Thanks Bonsaischap for outlinging the differences in models.

For some reason, it seems the PGM30 is making a come back this year.

It comes with an Edge III, but that can always be swapped out for an OFR.
Page 1 of 2