Page 1 of 144
_deeperthewound
...is back!
81 IQ
Hey, so I posted a Torchwood pic I found in the Demot thread and a few people said they loved the show, so I thought I'd start a thread about it so there's somewhere to chat about it.

And, seeing as it's tightly linked to Doctor Who, why not include that?

All I ask is if you're gonna talk about details from recent episodes or stuff that hasn't been released yet, can you put some sort of spoiler warning at the start of your message? We don't wanna ruin anything for each other, right?

Oh, and anybody planning on coming in and saying 'omg those shows suck' can not bother wasting their time. I get told they're crap all the time, doesn't change my opinion on them.

Last edited by _deeperthewound at Feb 23, 2008,
fallenangel20
Kung Fu Treachery
3,727 IQ
I've been wanting to get into Torchwood ever since I discovered BBC America (there's ads for them on during Top Gear), but I've known about Doctor Who for much longer, I've just never remembered to watch it.

I know I really wouldn't mind watching the old 60s through the 80s episodes, as well.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
_deeperthewound
...is back!
81 IQ
I've watched all of the new Doctor Who, but I haven't got round to getting hold of all the old stuff...

I always forget BBC America exists.
fallenangel20
Kung Fu Treachery
3,727 IQ
Quote by _deeperthewound
I've watched all of the new Doctor Who, but I haven't got round to getting hold of all the old stuff...

I always forget BBC America exists.

Don't worry, a lot of people here doesn't remember it, either.

I think I'm the only person at my school who can even name a strictly BBC show, ones that have never had US adaptations, like the Office, or have been shown outside of BBCA.

It's sad, really. =/
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
_deeperthewound
...is back!
81 IQ
That's a shame - we have some pretty decent shows over here. Although I'd say you guys are responsible for more kick-ass shows than anywhere else.

I know Dr. Who's known around the world, and it's always been a big deal here, but I've never heard to what extent he's popular elsewhere - do a lot of people over your way know about the show?
Mutant Corn
A-maize-ing
1,709 IQ
Dr. Who was on Sci-Fi for a while...but I generally try to avoid BBCAM as much as possible. I just set my DVR to record Top Gear....

DW's not bad, in a B movie sort of way. Unless it was made in the early 90's/late 80's...in which case I retract that statement.

Never seen torchwood but it looks cool. What's it about?
Nope, no sig here.
_deeperthewound
...is back!
81 IQ
I'm rubbish at describing, so here's my good friend Wikipedia to explain:

'The Torchwood Institute (usually referred to simply as Torchwood) is a fictional secret organisation from the British science fiction television series Doctor Who and its spin-off series, Torchwood.'

Basically, it's about the Cardiff branch of Torchwood and their dealings with aliens and stuff. It's got quite a different tone to Doctor Who, though - it's a bit more dark and adult.

The London Torchwood was featured in Series 2 of the new Doctor Who, but they were bastards, really. They accidentally brought about a huge disaster (won't describe too much) but after the collapse, Captain Jack Harkness re-established the organisation in Cardiff 'in [The Doctor's] honour' and it's now about helping mankind and preparing them for extraterrestial attacks, rather than just stealing alien technology and using it to harm other species.

(Just found out that Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who - apparently they used Torchwood as a codeword when they started remaking DW.)

Quote by guitar_dude11
dr who sucks

GTFO, etc.
Last edited by _deeperthewound at Feb 23, 2008,
_deeperthewound
...is back!
81 IQ
Considering it's a British show, I posted it at 5.30am British time, and already acknowledged I was only aware of a few other fans on here?
Dinkydaisy
UG Addict
625 IQ
The best Doctor:

There's already a Doctor Who thread that died quite a while ago.

I like the new series well enough, but my heart lies with 1963 - 1989.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Grundy0
Banned
148 IQ
The new Doctor Who episode will be damn awful. Catherine Tate, do I need to say more?
_deeperthewound
...is back!
81 IQ
Hm, I quite liked the Christmas special with her in it... well, it was my least favourite episode yet but it was alright I guess. I don't think she's suitable for a more permanent role.

Then again, I remember people's reactions when they heard Billie Piper was to be a companion, and she turned out to be incredible. I can't see Tate being up to that standard, but she could surprise us, I think.
Dinkydaisy
UG Addict
625 IQ
Quote by _deeperthewound
Hm, I quite liked the Christmas special with her in it... well, it was my least favourite episode yet but it was alright I guess. I don't think she's suitable for a more permanent role.

Then again, I remember people's reactions when they heard Billie Piper was to be a companion, and she turned out to be incredible. I can't see Tate being up to that standard, but she could surprise us, I think.

Piper was awful.

What the new series doesn't understand is that Doctor Who isn't a soap, it's a sci-fi show.

-Matthew Arnold

12Jim34
Tab Contributor
1,387 IQ
When does the new series start? Primeval just ended tonight, and now I won't have anything to watch on a Saturday night.
OddOneOut
UG's Essex Girl
175 IQ
Quote by _deeperthewound

(Just found out that Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who - apparently they used Torchwood as a codeword when they started remaking DW.)

OOH I never realised that. You see the birth of Torchwood in one episode (can't remember which one though)

I like Torchwood because it's much darker and grittier. Plus you see lots of John Barrowman. I'm very upset about the latest episode. I thought Martha Jones was just gonna leave, and all would be happy. But it looks like she's staying...
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Dinkydaisy
UG Addict
625 IQ
Quote by OddOneOut
OOH I never realised that. You see the birth of Torchwood in one episode (can't remember which one though)

I like Torchwood because it's much darker and grittier. Plus you see lots of John Barrowman. I'm very upset about the latest episode. I thought Martha Jones was just gonna leave, and all would be happy. But it looks like she's staying...

Torchwood was founded in Tooth & Claw when Queen Victoria granted Torchwood Manor to be the headquarters after the Doctor solved her werewolf problem.

-Matthew Arnold

p-nutz
250 IQ
I love Torchwood. Sexed up Doctor Who. I wasn't looking forward to Martha appearing in it but I was pleasently surprised. Miffed about Owen though Who's gonna be the sarcastic moody one now?
@-}-}-}-
happy-and-lost
Procrastinating Chemist
501 IQ
There's a lot of sexual tension in Torchwood. They need to have a team orgy or something. But not with Owen's corpse. That would be going a little too far.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
rocker007
Left Blank
510 IQ
Quote by Dinkydaisy
Piper was awful.

What the new series doesn't understand is that Doctor Who isn't a soap, it's a sci-fi show.

I blame Russel T Davis. They should get Moffat to write all the episodes. He keeps suspense going so much better than Davis. After all me wrote Blink which was the best non-dalek episode of the new series.

And you're wrong about best Doctor. It has to be:
Grundy0
Banned
148 IQ
They push the fact that Jack is gay way to much in Torchwood.
p-nutz
250 IQ
Ahh but theres loads of sexual tension between him and Gwen...
@-}-}-}-
Dinkydaisy
UG Addict
625 IQ
Quote by rocker007
I blame Russel T Davis. They should get Moffat to write all the episodes. He keeps suspense going so much better than Davis. After all me wrote Blink which was the best non-dalek episode of the new series.

And you're wrong about best Doctor. It has to be:

The Dalek episodes have been embarrassing, but I'll agree Moffat is the better writer.

And lies. While Tom's good, nothing can beat my beloved Fifth.

Despite suffering from crap companions, awful writing (JNT killed Who) and having to live up to Tom's seven years, Peter did a great job through his calibre as an actor and approach. His Doctor was just so loveable <3

And damn hot.

-Matthew Arnold

_deeperthewound
...is back!
81 IQ
**spoilerific**

I was a bit disappointed with last night's episode actually... I thought Owen's death/resurrection would be a lot darker and they'd have to kill him or something and it'd be totally messed up. I think I was hyping it up to myself a bit too much.

Should be interesting to see where they take his character from here.
Draken
waiting for the 6th world
3,112 IQ
David Tennants doctor needs some Ritalin badly he's so damn hyperactive.
[x]Huffy[x]
UG's Isaac Clarke
446 IQ
Quote by Dinkydaisy
Piper was awful.

FINALLY, SOMEONE SAYS IT.

Thankyou.

ALSO: Owen being dead in Torchwood makes baby jesus cry
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Draken
3,112 IQ
Rose was dog**** so was probably one of the worst companions for a doctor ever, she was such a ****ing chav.
[x]Huffy[x]
UG's Isaac Clarke
446 IQ
Quote by Draken
Rose was dog**** so was probably one of the worst companions for a doctor ever, she was such a ****ing chav.

*facepalm*
Yes, she sucked.

Who cares if she dressed slightly chavvish?
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Draken
3,112 IQ
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']*facepalm*
Yes, she sucked.

Who cares if she dressed slightly chavvish?

Well it was more her character was a moron.
Vermintide
Leader Of The Rats
818 IQ
I liked Piper a million times better than the black girl. She couldn't act and she was so badly written...

I knew the goodness couldn't last, though. Two awesome series, and then they started throwing crap out. I mean, they're bringing AM I BOVVERED in. God help us.

Series 3 had a couple of good episodes, but otherwise really disappointed me. I'm not getting my hopes up for the new series, either.

Also, Torchood FTL
Last edited by Vermintide at Feb 28, 2008,
rabidguitarist
Ethnomusicologist
1,735 IQ
I watched it on BBC2 last night- the one about death stalking the earth. Seriously- I think Russell T Davies has developed learning difficulties.

A glove that walks around like a spider...?

PS, Martha Jones is fit.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Dinkydaisy
UG Addict
625 IQ
Quote by Vermintide
I liked Piper a million times better than the black girl.

I knew the goodness couldn't last, though. Two awesome series, and then they started throwing crap out. I mean, they're bringing AM I BOVVERED in. God help us.

I liked Martha better.

But then, ever since Ian and Barbara left, the companions have never been truly excellent

-Matthew Arnold

deathsquirrel
Oh dear.
90 IQ
Rose is meant to be in series 4 isn't she? And I believe Martha's gonna be back as well. Probably to draw attention away from the uber-disappointment that is Catherine Tate. Series should still be good though, they better have something thats gonna make shitloads of daleks appear because there being only one isn't good.

Anyone else think that John Simm was awesome as The Master? Can't wait to see what they do with that character.

As for Torchwood, I thought that having Death in there was a nice addition, but they could have made more of an effort with the skeleton. And that glove was quite charming in its own MediEvil 2/Addams Family meets Alien way.
If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

Quote by DigUpHerBones
I love you and think I just about understood what you said. Cheers.

Like Pokémon? Like threads?
ctb
1,449 IQ
this two-parter is so brilliant.
anyone watching?
rocker007
Left Blank
510 IQ
Its good. Thankfully not as terrifying as Blink, which was pant wetting.

Next one looks good too. Kinda like Snakes on a Plane.