I have an epi LP that has been sitting for a while.when I adjusted the truss rod the whole neck made a creaking /cracking noise so I reduced the tension on the neck and when I tuned the rod the other way it did it again,is this juhe wood creaking because it was sitting for a long time?Or did I break somthing?
Necks creak, its not a big deal. When something breaks you will know... My Ibanez creaks everyone in a while time because of the tension on that thin of a neck or if the tremelo is unloaded. Its scary as hell evertime because it is loud but its nothing to worry about.
yes, nothing to worry about, the wood in your house creaks but that doesnt fall down
Ibanez S620EX Limited Edition
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey Classic 50
Crate GX-15
your neck should not be creaking/crackling - you are either turning it too much or it needs some lub.
yeah,but could it be damaged from the creaking/cracking? after I turned it once it stopped doing that,could i just be from turning it?
It's normal to hear the odd creak - if the truss hasn't been touched in a while the wood will need to adjust to any change in pressure.
I wouldn't be concerned at all, though if you're still unsure feel free to check the neck heel for any cracks - this tends to be the weak point on many Gibson designs.
Ok, if its a creaking noise, its most likely the strings.
if its a rattling, its your action, too close to the fretboard?
Check your nut, is it bashed in, if it is, it can cause the strings
to touch the frets, causing a rattling noise.
Quote by kyle62
It's normal to hear the odd creak - if the truss hasn't been touched in a while the wood will need to adjust to any change in pressure.
I wouldn't be concerned at all, though if you're still unsure feel free to check the neck heel for any cracks - this tends to be the weak point on many Gibson designs.

sorry for the old bump, but i just bought an acoustic online, and when it got here the strings were very loose. When I tightened them, I heard a slight creak from the neck. It could have been the strings, but it sounded like wood. Could this be because it was sitting for a while with not that much tension?
alright sounds good. it hasnt happened since that one time, so hopefully its good to go.
When I adjust my truss rod it creaks loud as hell too. It doesn't hurt anything though.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.