Has anyone had any experience with the new Fender VG Startocaster? I was wondering what they would be like an if they are just Fenders solution to the Gibson robot guitar.
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
I sat for about 2 hours with one trying to like it. I didn't. Much better off with a standard strat.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
yeh im not buying one or thinking of it i just want to know what they are like. looks a bit pointless to me
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
From what I heard, The VG stratocaster came before Gibsons robot guitar.

So, The gibson may just be the solution to the Fender VG stratocaster for all we know.
VG strat came out a long time before the Gibson robot guitar, i think the VG came out last summer? anyway they both do very different things. Its been about half a year since i played the VG strat and from what i remember it was pretty awesome, even if some of the things just seemed like a gimmick.
POST FINDER
I think that if the price was lower, it'd be awesome. Sadly, it's not.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

i thought the VG sounded interesting but i wouldn't get one, i like the classic tones i get from my standard strat. the VG produces tones and different tunings electronically which sounds artificial to me.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
I tried it when working at a musicshop. It was ok. But the price and the fact that it's pretty ugly with all those thing stuck to it makes it stupid imo.
I Like Cake
Quote by jake_1234
Has anyone had any experience with the new Fender VG Startocaster? I was wondering what they would be like an if they are just Fenders solution to the Gibson robot guitar.

the VG strat was around a long time before the Gibson Robot...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
If your looking for those kinds of "bells and whistles" The Variax 700 is the only way to go. Much better then the Robot or VG and at alot less money. If Line 6 every added humbuckers to their Variax line and allowed the blending of standard pickups and modeling they will be even harder to catchup with in this type of instrument.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
If your looking for those kinds of "bells and whistles" The Variax 700 is the only way to go. Much better then the Robot or VG and at alot less money. If Line 6 every added humbuckers to their Variax line and allowed the blending of standard pickups and modeling they will be even harder to catchup with in this type of instrument.

I believe Gibson's new digital guitar is blending the pickups and whatever it's digital thing does, it's about $4000 though...

Personally, I really liked the VG. It had the signature strat tone, and then you could switch it to humbuckers, acoustic, banjo, etc. Then you can change the tunings for those. It didn't sound very digital. The price was a bit on the high side though. If it were $200 or so less, I feel it would be appropriately priced.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
My dad owns one, and it's an amazing guitar. Without all the fancy things with it, it's a beautiful American Strat, which plays so.... amazing. The alternate tunings are good, but I don't find myself using them often, except the 12 string tuning. The thing that I think is the best is the different types of sounds. You can get a tele sound, to an acoustic sound (the really does sound like an acoustic) to a humbucker sound, which I used a lot.

I do think it is overpriced, though. If I had the money I would buy it, but I'll be inheriting one someday, anyways.
Don't get me wrong. They are some nice guitars (and yeah a bit overpriced). it's just the Variax nails the tones better. Especially the acoustics (with the exception of the banjo. None of them do that very well). The other thing that is a must with this type of technology is an EQ. Even a cheap EQ like what I'm using makes the modeling stuff sound 10x better. I didn't play the Gibson for as long as I played the VG, but if it came right down to it, I'd get a standard strat and Gibson for the money and in the case of the robot you could get a standard AND a Variax for the same price. For the money I expected more from both guitars. I didn't feel like they delivered. At least not in a dollar for dollar comparison against the Variax.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD