Minor penatonic and natural minor mainly. I'd mess around with the dorian, lydian, and mixolydian modes too.
I know he uses the natural minor on Europa (Cm), and I'm not sure of what else in general.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
hes a really big fan of the natural minor scale and i swear ive heard him use the harmonic and melodic minor scales as well. but remember its not the scale, its how you play it.
^
I know I used some weird scale on the Gypsy Queen section of Black Magic Woman once that sounded awesome. I'll dig the name of it up tomorrow, but right now I'm going to sleep... It'll get edited in here, though, 'cause it sounded awesome

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
natural minor and dorian i think.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
The Dorian mode.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Natural Minor, Dorian, Minor Pentatonic, and Blues. Obviously, as an actual musician, he deviates from those scales and plays chromatic tones and other scales as well.
That scale that I was talking about for Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen is the V mode of Harmonic Minor, called Phrygian Major (I guess..). The formula for the scale is:

1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7

The notes, in D, would be:

D Eb F# G A Bb C D

I think it's a pretty cool sounding scale on that song, but I may be the only one...

I'm pretty sure the fifth mode of the harmonic minor scale is Phrygian Dominant.
^
Eh, I dunno the name, I just know the formula... It had a natural next to the 3 in the book I got the name from, so I assumed it'd be called Phrygian Major, but Dominant would have been my other guess. I just came up with the scale while playing it one day and thought it sounded cool.

It's fine, I'm not saying your wrong, just that I think that's what the name of the scale is.
^
That's cool. I'm just stating that I'm completely oblivious as to what the name might be

Quote by Page&HammettFan
That scale that I was talking about for Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen is the V mode of Harmonic Minor, called Phrygian Major (I guess..). The formula for the scale is:

1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7

The notes, in D, would be:

D Eb F# G A Bb C D

I think it's a pretty cool sounding scale on that song, but I may be the only one...

i love that scale, use it all the time. very exotic sounding.
Yes, and to the TS: it is the Phrygian Dominant scale, and if you want to hear an example of it, Kirk Hammett's solo in Wherever I May Roam is entirely (I think, if not almost entirely) based off of Phrygian Dominant.
^
I think that Rush's YYZ might be also, but I'm not sure. Whatever scale Lifeson uses on that song, it's a pain to figure out... I don't want to use TAB, but I doubt that I'll have any other choice...

Phrygian all the way I guess....it's kind of a latino/flamenco scale
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
^
I said that I use Phrygian Dominant on the Gypsy Queen section of Black Magic Woman. I never said that Santana does