Page 1 of 2
i hope there werent too many topics on this, i googled it and found one decent thread but here goes.

so in that topic someone asked how frusciante gets his clean tone from just picking but then a dirtier one when hitting the strings harder, which is what i was wondering about. someone replied by saying that its "natural clean tube breakup" or something of the sort. cud anybody tell me if thats achievable with any tube amp, like the fender deluxe tube amp i own? it has a drive knob but no gain knob (i hope im not retarded for thinking their different when theyre really the same thing...)

if it helps, my setup is: american strat with a humbucker, fender deluxe tube amp, boss ds-1 distortion, boss super chorus, and boss sd-1 super overdrive (i know maybe i went overboard on boss), and a original dunlop crybaby.

i listed all the pedals because i was wondering if its worth my investment to get the big muff pi to sort of get that grimy sound that he uses in his music. i was using the overdrive to try and emulate it but its too heavy to do it.

thanks for all your guys help.
Ok you failed when you got the Fender amp, John uses Marshals! I thought everyone knew that.....
Quote by jonathan92
schecter damien 7 is one monster of a guitar.

[Proud owner of a Schecter Damien 7]
drive = gain. set the drive relatively low, 3-4 maybe, and turn down your guitar's volume slightly for the cleans, then turn up your guitar's volume and pick harder for that slightly overdriven tone
Quote by Robert353
Ok you failed when you got the Fender amp, John uses Marshals! I thought everyone knew that.....

i know that now, but unfortunately i was...ok i AM a retard and didnt bother to research equipment when i first decided to learn the guitar. i actually thot back then that u cud get any tone u wanted purely thru effects, which was really really stupid on my part and i just went with a tube amp cuz the salesguy said they give a good clean tone.

so im guessin that means u HAVE to have the marshall to get that sound eh?
Last edited by desol89 at Feb 23, 2008,
Well, he uses a Fender amp with his White Falcon...

Not necessarily you must geta Marshall to get his tone. I got quite close to his tone with my Jaguar and my Laney amp.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
his tone isn't that great, I really don't see what all the fuss is about
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by lithium26

Not necessarily you must geta Marshall to get his tone. I got quite close to his tone with my Jaguar and my Laney amp.

ah. well then ill have to keep messing with the amp. wud u say a big muff pi is a good investment?
Quote by desol89
so im guessin that means u HAVE to have the marshall to get that sound eh?

No, your Fender will do fine.

You need to play with the drive knob to find the sweet spot. Hit the strings hard, as hard as you would when you'd want it to break up a little. When you've found the sweet spot where it just started to break up enough, simply pick lighter. If you can't get it to feel right (ie you'd have to play too soft to get the clean tone), then you might have to get the clean tone by turning down the volume on your guitar instead. That way it's sure to clean up nicely.

The Big Muff you asked about will get you the Stadium Arcadium solo sound, in fact I believe that's exactly what John used also. I believe that John uses something else for the rhythm, but the Big Muff will definitely get you close to that tone also.
Last edited by whoismilan at Feb 23, 2008,
He uses a boss ds-2 for rhythm playing, like on the chorus of dani california, then he mostly uses the ds-2 and a usa big muff together for his solo tone, like in the solo of dani cali, he uses other distortion pedals as well, such as a mosrite fuzzrite, an EHX English Muff'n and in the past he has used stuff like the boss overdrive pedals, a boss ds-1, Fuzz Factorys, if you are looking for his sound Ds-2 and Big Muff are wear you should start though
POST FINDER
ok ok ok. If you're referring to the sort of dirty tone he gets for Can't Stop when it's played live, I know how to get that. Firstly, use a tube amp and turn the gain right up on full. John probably uses his MXR Micro Amp pedal though, which does the same thing except even more I think. Basically though, just use a very subtle overdrive and hit all the strings, muting out the ones you don't want to play.
Gear:
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
Marshall TSL-601
Squire Strat
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

I'm in a chain of memories, it's my will
A huge part of his tone is down to his 8 million FX pedals. Another huge part of his tone is down to his hand wound formvar pickups. formvar pickups give you a different type of overdrive sound than normal pickups because the formvar give a much stronger high end and loose bass with scooped mids. Standard strat pickups give you tight bass, strong mids, and a weaker high end. Standard strat pickups are more defined and edgy while formvar pickups are smooth and chime.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by desol89

so in that topic someone asked how frusciante gets his clean tone from just picking but then a dirtier one when hitting the strings harder,
thanks for all your guys help.

was i the threadstarter? haha

@robert353: didnt john have a fender head before?

and i agree with everything cord just said. im assuming you'll have to have you overdrive pretty low and pick softly and when you pick hard - theres your dirty sound. i got a similar sound on my line 6 on the crunch channel
john used a fender head during californication era, this was just for the gretch white falcon though
POST FINDER
alrite thanks for all ur help guys.

ill def have to try all those setting change-ups till i hit the sweet spot.

just one thing: obviously to keep spending at a low, i was thinking of just buying the big muff and not bothering about the DS-2, cuz i know he uses it but i figured i have the DS-1 to get close enough for that tone. but the big muff will give me that fuzz that i need. does that seem like a reasonable conclusion?
You need a clean tube amp one the verge of breaking up, a DS-2 pedal for his rhythm, a Big Muff/Muff'n for his solo tone, and a nice wah of some sort, nothing can really do the WH-10 tone, but a nice Vox or Fulltone will do you well. He uses Strats 90% of the time, so you can't go wrong with one.

Quote by desol89
alrite thanks for all ur help guys.

ill def have to try all those setting change-ups till i hit the sweet spot.

just one thing: obviously to keep spending at a low, i was thinking of just buying the big muff and not bothering about the DS-2, cuz i know he uses it but i figured i have the DS-1 to get close enough for that tone. but the big muff will give me that fuzz that i need. does that seem like a reasonable conclusion?

When I play Fru rhythm, I use Turbo II on my DS-2, which is different to the DS-1, but if your DS-1 does what you want, keep it.

The Muff should do it, but look into other fuzzes too, for other stuff you might play. I bought a Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz for the odd Hendrix stuff, and it's pretty good for Fru too.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by lithium26

+1

Your not a retard. You don't need a Marshall. I mean, if you were going to try and nail it exactly you would, but that'll never happen so don't even try.

First, you have to get your tone the way you want it EQ wise. Then set the drive knob dynamically. Start it out low and work around until you have it so when you pick softly you get clean tones, but pick harder and you get break up.

That's how I have my BD-2 set. I get a pretty nice John Tone out of my Strat and Fender Twin with various pedals.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I think he also uses a EHX graphic fuzz. One of the knobs is picking sensitivity and that could get you the correct breakup you need.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Quote by CephalidHunter
I think he also uses a EHX graphic fuzz. One of the knobs is picking sensitivity and that could get you the correct breakup you need.

That was only on the EHX website, and so it was probably used on his solo career, because I've never heard it on any Chili's tracks.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
You need a clean tube amp one the verge of breaking up, a DS-2 pedal for his rhythm, a Big Muff/Muff'n for his solo tone, and a nice wah of some sort, nothing can really do the WH-10 tone, but a nice Vox or Fulltone will do you well. He uses Strats 90% of the time, so you can't go wrong with one.

I dunno about other people but i can't get a good froosh tone at all out of my English Muff'n, the only froosh tone i can get of his is this one section during especially in michigan, i think he uses the mosrite fuzzrite for his lead tones now and not the English Muff'n, so i guess if you're looking for his solo tone and don't wanna get a big muff maybe try out an ashbass fuzzbrite?
POST FINDER
Quote by mattreid222
I dunno about other people but i can't get a good froosh tone at all out of my English Muff'n, the only froosh tone i can get of his is this one section during especially in michigan, i think he uses the mosrite fuzzrite for his lead tones now and not the English Muff'n, so i guess if you're looking for his solo tone and don't wanna get a big muff maybe try out an ashbass fuzzbrite?

Ooooh, my bad.

He may or may not use it on the next album, but he does have the Fuzzrite, afterall.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Well, the Whammy's gone now, same with the Moogs, but that's pretty much all there is to it.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
the moogs are gone? thats news to me.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by Hultan
wut r teh moogz?

The things to the right of the first pic.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by mattreid222

alrite thanks, i appreciate all the feedback.

then i wont jump to conclusions and i might research for a fuzz pedal, cuz yea i do love hendrix as well and having a pedal that could do him and fru would be nice.
Quote by desol89
alrite thanks, i appreciate all the feedback.

then i wont jump to conclusions and i might research for a fuzz pedal, cuz yea i do love hendrix as well and having a pedal that could do him and fru would be nice.

Don't forget that Fru and Hendrix's fuzzes were two different beasts, and mine only works for me because I think it does.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
Don't forget that Fru and Hendrix's fuzzes were two different beasts, and mine only works for me because I think it does.

haha, well thats why im asking right? an opinion is an opinion, it may not be right but it goes the same to say it may not be wrong.

thats how i see it, i appreciate any help i can get.
Not to hijack this thread...
but where did you read about fru ditching the moogs?
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by HeartInACage
Not to hijack this thread...
but where did you read about fru ditching the moogs?

I saw his latest board, and it was moog-free. Dunno if he'll bring em back, but does he really need that much onstage?

Quote by desol89
haha, well thats why im asking right? an opinion is an opinion, it may not be right but it goes the same to say it may not be wrong.

thats how i see it, i appreciate any help i can get.

Yeah, sure. IMO, fuzzes are rather strange, you should really go out and find one you like the most.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
I saw his latest board, and it was moog-free. Dunno if he'll bring em back, but does he really need that much onstage?

When exactly because I know that he probably had them for the SA tour.
Quote by NewsoftheWorld
When exactly because I know that he probably had them for the SA tour.

It was after the SA tour.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by NewsoftheWorld
Was it just a random appearance that he did?

Dunno exactly, but it was after the SA tour, without the Muff.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak

Yeah, sure. IMO, fuzzes are rather strange, you should really go out and find one you like the most.

doesnt he use that for songs like parallel universe?

i saw a demo of the moog on youtube and it did some wicked stuff but i didnt really understand the whole purpose of it. it sounds like a phaser to me.
Quote by desol89
doesnt he use that for songs like parallel universe?

i saw a demo of the moog on youtube and it did some wicked stuff but i didnt really understand the whole purpose of it. it sounds like a phaser to me.

The studio version of Parallel Universe?

Cos he uses an MXR Phase 100 that was being used next door for that.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
The studio version of Parallel Universe?

Cos he uses an MXR Phase 100 that was being used next door for that.

yea i ment the studio version, so nvm then it was a phaser.

they sound alike.
where did you see the picture? Im not doubting you saw it, Id just like to see what he replaced them with.
Page 1 of 2