I have been working on my Legato as of late (litteraly the last week or so) and I have been noticing that whenever I pick a note it is always louder than when I play it legato. Is this normal? I know that playing something picked and playing something legato sounds different in that the picking gives it a more "choppy" feel, but is the volume of the playing supposed to be different?

Is there anything I could possibly be doing wrong? I am hitting the string as hard as I possibly can with my finger in order to get a ring out of it, and pulling off with the little flick thing (the problem is actually in my hammer ons as the pull offs are the same volume as my picking.)

thx

pepsi
you can play legato with a pick if you want, it doesn't make it NOT legato, it has to do with the style you play. But yes, it should be slightly louder with a pick it's very hard to get the same attack playing with fingers, almost impossible unless you have hands made of bricks or something
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
It's normal for picked notes to sound louder than legato, but more practise, and the strength in your fingers will come, and it will be hard to tell the difference.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
So basically there shouldn't be a very noticable difference? Or should say... a blindfolded listener be able to tell the difference?

pepsi
Quote by pepsi_lovr
So basically there shouldn't be a very noticable difference? Or should say... a blindfolded listener be able to tell the difference?

pepsi

There should be no volume difference, no.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i think theres a considerable difference.

when you pick, it has a much sharper sound cause of the attack.

legato sounds smoother and more mushed together.
Quote by druz15_UG
you can play legato with a pick if you want, it doesn't make it NOT legato, it has to do with the style you play. But yes, it should be slightly louder with a pick it's very hard to get the same attack playing with fingers, almost impossible unless you have hands made of bricks or something

Yes, going from note to note without a pick would be considered slurring. Technically, if you look at it from the standpoint of a wind player, legato is only possible with a pick....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Volume should be roughly equal, but they definitely shouldn't sound the same, or there wouldn't be any point in doing both.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
You want your legato to be as even with your picking as possible. Which means it takes some serious time and effort into getting your hand in shape for that.
Quote by josephhkim
i think theres a considerable difference.

when you pick, it has a much sharper sound cause of the attack.

legato sounds smoother and more mushed together.

That is a tonal difference, not volume; there should be no volume difference, only tone.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
legato just sounds alot smoother
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
It can depend a lot on the gain/distortion/compression you're using. If your sound is compressed the volume will be a lot more even for all of the notes. If it's not as compressed. picked notes will often sound louder than ones that aren't.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=795734&songID=6185395

listen at :32-:38 - - - I don't think there's much difference between the picked notes and the hammer-ons and pull-offs. It's mainly because of the compressed tone.