Just out of curiosity, what are my rights as a teen in California, USA?
Quote by StratPat
You have none

+1 zing! So right.
JordanFlayer uses:

Fender and Yamaha Guitars
Ernie Ball .11-.54 Strings
Marshall and Peavey Amps
MXR Pedals
Fender Medium Picks

Number 45 of the Iron Maiden are Gods club- 'PM Revelations to join

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/map /

very little. You can't be abused by your parents or teachers, and you have to be read the miranda if you're arrested. That's about it. Also you can't be arrested for protesting naked.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Someone explain please, I'm learning jack **** in school then.

What are my rights, like a Bill of Rights type of thing. I know not all the rights apply to me as a minor, but I was wondering which ones do.
you have the same constitutional rights as everyone else, they can be waived by your parents in certain circumstances, note that this only protects you from the government not school (unless you go to public school) or anyone else.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
you have none...at the moment, cuz

YOU GOTTA FIGHT

FOR YOUR RIGHT

TO PAAAAAAAAAAAAARTAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!

im soo lonely.....
Quote by deathbat831
im soo lonely.....

And so you shall remain.
Read up on a government site, because you sure ain't gonna get an exhaustive list from a guitar site.

You'd be better off looking for a list of restrictions, as a list of rights could go on... a lot.
Quote by Kaed15
And so you shall remain.

damn....wait....protesting naked? i have to go now....there are some things that have been bothering me and i think i have found a way to solve them
Quote by paulvxD
Just out of curiosity, what are my rights as a teen in California, USA?

you have to be specific there are so many different things
like someone else said check out the government site itl prob give you some general ****
Quote by StratPat
You have none

Pretty much

I know, being a teen in california

And have been read my rights and arrested a few times
I <3 Drugs.

The universe works on a math equation-
That never even ever really ends in the end-
Infinity spirals out creation.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
Well, I made a couple of searches on usa.gov and I didn't get anything I was looking for. I want to know which amendments apply to me as a minor.
Quote by paulvxD
Well, I made a couple of searches on usa.gov and I didn't get anything I was looking for. I want to know which amendments apply to me as a minor.

in regards to what?
Quote by clancy256
in regards to what?

Basically a Bill of Rights or any rights that you have knowledge, anything is fine.
Quote by paulvxD

all of them to an extent, the only one thats really iffy is the right to bear arms. but like I said your parents can waive your rights in certain situations. There are limitations but you would have to ask a more specific question, because it's a fairly complicated subject.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
all of them to an extent, the only one thats really iffy is the right to bear arms. but like I said your parents can waive your rights in certain situations. There are limitations but you would have to ask a more specific question, because it's a fairly complicated subject.

If I were to be accused of stealing from a grocery store and the cops asked me to show them what I had in my pockets, do I have to show them? Or can I say "this is unreasonable and not until you have a warrant"?
Quote by paulvxD
If I were to be accused of stealing from a grocery store and the cops asked me to show them what I had in my pockets, do I have to show them? Or can I say "this is unreasonable and not until you have a warrant"?

If you are accused of something and a person said they saw it, it gives the cops reason to search you. You can deny, but why bother? They would simply hold you until they receive a warrant. Then you will be searched.

You have all the same rights granted to every other citizen, with exceptions of those regulated by age. Although, once you enter a school you willingly give up all rights. That is why they teach you about freedom of speech, but do not allow you to practice it.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by paulvxD

you can refuse. But they may detain you at the station and all that. Also that might not fly as unreasonable in court, it depends on the circumstances.

Quote by i have to pee

You have all the same rights granted to every other citizen, with exceptions of those regulated by age. Although, once you enter a school you willingly give up all rights. That is why they teach you about freedom of speech, but do not allow you to practice it.

You don't willingly give up all rights at school, you still have most of them (this is in public school) including religion, speech peaceful assembly habeas corpus etc.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Feb 23, 2008,
By entering a public school, how can they make you give up all your rights, and why do they? It's pretty ironic how they teach you your rights as a citizen and they don't even apply there. I can't say whatever I'd like, and I sure as hell don't have any other unlisted rights such as going to the bathroom whenever I please in school, wear whatever I'd like such as headgear, shirts depicting horrific, sacreligious, anything relating to Communism, etc. I cannot have a group of more than 4 people (there goes my right to peaceful assembly..) and it goes on of more unreasonable, arbitrary, and hypocritical rules at school which contradict my rights as a citizen.
Last edited by paulvxD at Feb 23, 2008,
Quote by i have to pee
If you are accused of something and a person said they saw it, it gives the cops reason to search you. You can deny, but why bother? They would simply hold you until they receive a warrant. Then you will be searched.

he's exactly right
everyone has the same rights but until you turn 18 or 21 (depending on where you live)
your parents are your legal guardian so they decide about your rights unless you openly confess to something.

one thing though is if someone approaches you about stealing from a store,
unless they are security or a police officer they arent allowed to touch you or do anything
an im pretty sure htat if they do you can charge them with assult
correct me if im wrong
like I said, they don't/can't there have been several lawsuits against school over free speech/religion etc. and the school almost always loses.

Last.fm
Quote by paulvxD
By entering a public school, how can they make you give up all your rights, and why do they? It's pretty ironic how they teach you your rights as a citizen and they don't even apply there. I can't say whatever I'd like, and I sure as hell don't have any other unlisted rights such as going to the bathroom whenever I please in school.

thats kinda different...it doent have to do with rights.
when you are in class your teacher is kinda your guardian i guess
but you have to listen to them and do what they say within reason
if they say you cant go to the bathroom with no reason but to keep you there or punish you, that is crossing the line.
the only thing you can really do is file a complaint with your AP.
Quote by paulvxD
By entering a public school, how can they make you give up all your rights, and why do they? It's pretty ironic how they teach you your rights as a citizen and they don't even apply there. I can't say whatever I'd like, and I sure as hell don't have any other unlisted rights such as going to the bathroom whenever I please in school.

Because they are an establishment and in order to continue to run, they cannot allow students to say whatever they wish and just get up out of class. Do you really have to wonder about those? I think you should start paying a little more attention in class rather than trying to find out how you're being denied rights.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by i have to pee
Because they are an establishment and in order to continue to run, they cannot allow students to say whatever they wish and just get up out of class. Do you really have to wonder about those? I think you should start paying a little more attention in class rather than trying to find out how you're being denied rights.

being forced to sit quietly in school is different from denying rights, you still have free expression and all that, you just aren't allowed to be disruptive. The school is essentially your guardian (with a lot of limitations) while you are there and therefore can tell you to do stuff within reason.

Last.fm
If I were to use a curse word or criticize something, I could get some kind of punishment. Say if a teacher were to make a student run laps due to misusing PE equipment, intentionally or not, would this be a cruel and/or unusual punishment?
no probably not. things involving torture or unreasonable humiliation are usually what is considered cruel and unusual, running laps doesn't fit the bill.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
being forced to sit quietly in school is different from denying rights, you still have free expression and all that, you just aren't allowed to be disruptive.

There are consequences for saying/wearing certain things. Also peaceful protest is a right you cannot exercise in school (which has been taking to courts by ignorant people who think they should be allowed to break rules for a reason).

I was sent home for the day because I wore a shirt (in support of a friend who was gay) that said "I <3 Lesbians". I was asked to remove it and change shirts and I refused. I also said I would accept any punishment they would hand out, because I believe in the cause.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by i have to pee
There are consequences for saying/wearing certain things. Also peaceful protest is a right you cannot exercise in school (which has been taking to courts by ignorant people who think they should be allowed to break rules for a reason).

I was sent home for the day because I wore a shirt (in support of a friend who was gay) that said "I <3 Lesbians". I was asked to remove it and change shirts and I refused. I also said I would accept any punishment they would hand out, because I believe in the cause.

heres how this works, obscenity is generally not protected if they try to punish you for anything else that isn't majorily disruptive it's actionable, your case borders on obscenity but you could probably get the ACLU to help you out if you wanted to go through the trouble, you have to remember that just because they tell you to do something doesn't mean the law is on their side.

Last.fm
A friend of mine wore a shirt depicting the "Communist Party" picture.

One of the vice principles brought my friend to his office and went berserk. The VP made my friend take the shirt off or receive some kind of punishment.

My friend doesn't see anything wrong with idea of communism. I don't think the VP should have the right to make him change his shirt or w/e because he does not agree with someone else's political views.

Was there any wrong doing here?
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
heres how this works, obscenity is generally not protected if they try to punish you for anything else that isn't majorily disruptive it's actionable, your case borders on obscenity but you could probably get the ACLU to help you out if you wanted to go through the trouble, you have to remember that just because they tell you to do something doesn't mean the law is on their side.

There was nothing obscene with my shirt. It was unpopular speech at the very most, which is protected by the first amendment.

Students give up their rights for an education. They should not whine about it either.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by paulvxD
If I were to use a curse word or criticize something, I could get some kind of punishment. Say if a teacher were to make a student run laps due to misusing PE equipment, intentionally or not, would this be a cruel and/or unusual punishment?

swearing in public places, let alone schools, is disrespectful of other people either way. and the criticizing depends on the situation. and no its not cruel punishment
you think people are going to learn their lesson by sitting in the corner for half an hour...or is that cruel too
it is all personal perception

^^^^and this guy is right
Last edited by clancy256 at Feb 23, 2008,
I'm not sure if this anything to do with rights but... It's unjust how a boy and girl cannot hold hands or kiss in school but a boy and boy or girl and girl can do these type of things together in school.
^^i never saw the latter the entire time i was in school

high school will be completely different
just suck it up for a couple more years
its worth it
Quote by paulvxD
I'm not sure if this anything to do with rights but... It's unjust how a boy and girl cannot hold hands or kiss in school but a boy and boy or girl and girl can do these type of things together in school.

Public displays of affection are against the rules. I am sure that you are not correct in stating homosexual affection is not against the rules, but heterosexual affection is.

You should, like I said before, stop trying to break the system and start trying to get some knowledge in your brain. The only rights you've seem to have been denied, is the right of a fully functional brain.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by i have to pee
There was nothing obscene with my shirt. It was unpopular speech at the very most, which is protected by the first amendment.

Students give up their rights for an education. They should not whine about it either.

your shirt could be seen as having sexual connotations that go beyond gay rights, which is why I said it could be seen as borderline obscene. You should not under any circumstances have to give up your rights for an education.

Last.fm