Is it bad that i rest my picking hand on the strings above the ones I'm picking? I just move it up as i pick higher stings and then i let it float in the air when I'm on the low E. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
I did that at first then I started planting my pinky on the pick guard and that's where it sits now except my les paul I actually rest the outer of my palm on the tune o matic.
Epiphone les paul LE (birdseye maple top)
DiMarzio Evolutions - Stetsbar Chrome

RG350MDX beater

Peavey T-25

Fender 100watt Mesa Boogie Tubes
i guess its preference as long as youre not muting the strings youre resting on (uunless you want to) i rest my palm on the bridge but thats just me
its fine. not always a technically great thing to do, say if you have the gain turned up really high on the amp. because sometimes when you take your hand ff the strings, it might make them ring
Quote by Toker420
Is it bad that i rest my picking hand on the strings above the ones I'm picking? I just move it up as i pick higher stings and then i let it float in the air when
I'm on the low E. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

its mot definitely a great thing because it keeps other strings from ringing
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
No, it's muting. It's a good thing to do if you plan on shredding, because it keeps all the other strings from ringing out.

if you're shredding (or hell, even playing) properly then no other strings should be ringing. i'd call it anchoring too and advise highly against it. i can't think of a single good thing that could come from it honestly.
I do it, and it is in no way anchoring. Maybe we're both misunderstanding what he's saying, but I took it as very, very lightly touching the round part of your palm (directly underneath your thumb) to the string, which in no way inhibits movement and keeps other strings silenced. Strings can and will ring out forming sympathetic overtones, and if you're playing a high gain style it's especially apparent.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
^ i play with a metalzone mt2 and don't have that problem at all (strings ringing out). i'd say this, if he HAS to put his hand down to have control then i'd definately call it anchoring. obviously your pick hand will come in contact with the guitar while playing, but if you're doing it to stabilize your hand (like the guy above who said he plants his pinky on the pick guard) or use it as a "reference point" so that you can hit the right strings then i'd recommend highly against it. if however its as natural doing it without it then i can't really see a problem with it.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
I took it as very, very lightly touching the round part of your palm (directly underneath your thumb) to the string

That is very rarely the case, so i assumed he was anchoring.