I don't know much about amps or speakers 'n' stuff, so maybe someone could tell me

Could I use just headphones with an amp head, no speakers. That way I could buy an amp head, just use it to practice with then when I get the money for a cab I could buy one.
A tube amp cant be used without speakers. Without the resistance you would blow the tubes and possibly damage the amp. I dont know about solid states though, some of them have headphone outs.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Generally speaking the answer is no, certainly with a tube amp if you run it without speakers it'll blow up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
mmmmmm, while it would be amusing, I think blowing up an amp head is the exact opposite effect to the one I want.

thanks
Well the Engl Tube Preamp does let you do that apparently. However, if you got that you would also eventually have to buy a power amp and all the various other things for a rack set up.

You would be better off just getting a cheap, semi-decent practice amp.
Quote by psyks
I don't know much about amps or speakers 'n' stuff, so maybe someone could tell me

Could I use just headphones with an amp head, no speakers. That way I could buy an amp head, just use it to practice with then when I get the money for a cab I could buy one.

Never run an amp without speakers, you need to keep the load on the output or you will blow your amp...

and it will overpower your phones so you will burn those up.

For portable headphone play, try a small amp like the microcube.
well for one the heads that do have headphone and line outs through headphones just sound like crap anyway.... Guitarport for 69 bucks man. Or a 100 dollar practice amp. Thats all you need.