I cannot tune down anything from ear. I tried tuning down to a D on my own and I can't do it. I just have a terrible ear. I'm doing it the classic way, play an open D and then keep tuning down until it sounds the same. But I'm just not hearing it as if they're the same. Please help. Sorry if I sound like a little bitch.
Use harmonics. Play the 5th fret harmonic on the lowest string and the 12th fret harmonic on the D string and you should find it much easier.
Quote by Bluestopsign
I cannot tune down anything from ear. I tried tuning down to a D on my own and I can't do it. I just have a terrible ear. I'm doing it the classic way, play an open D and then keep tuning down until it sounds the same. But I'm just not hearing it as if they're the same. Please help. Sorry if I sound like a little bitch.

well you could hit 7 on the E which is trying to become a D and play the A string at the same time until they sound the same. and waves if you can hear them are bad. you dont want any waves. so be careful not to bend.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
ya listen to the sound waves more than the note...when 2 notes are out of tune you will hear the frequencies.....its just a waving sound...and the closed to being in tune with each other they are the slower the waving gets...when the waving stops its in tune

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by matosh.lee
well you could hit 7 on the E which is trying to become a D and play the A string at the same time until they sound the same. and waves if you can hear them are bad. you dont want any waves. so be careful not to bend.

Assuming the rest of the strings are in tune, that's about the easiest way to go without actually using a tuner. Plus, this is one of those skills that takes time to develop, so sucking has nothing to do with it. You just need to train your ear.
Quote by matosh.lee

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 7th fret on the E string a B?
Quote by #1M
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 7th fret on the E string a B?

Yes.
But, he's trying to get in drop D.

Play 7 on the E until it sounds the same as an open A.
Awakening The Revenant
Deathcore side project: Malevolent

Quote by shavorules42
start with more poppy music with occasional screams and then work your way into emoish crap like a day to remember and so on.
Quote by carrotcake
Yes.
But, he's trying to get in drop D.

Play 7 on the E until it sounds the same as an open A.

Oh sorry, I didn't see that. My mistake.
Im in a similair postition

technique wise, i'd say im intermediate, but my ear training is royally n00bish

for gigs I have a tuner pedal, and in my own time Im working on my ear training

just practice is the answer, and dont beat urself up

its not something that happens over nite
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
i guess if you have a chromatic tuner it'll do it or if you have just a standard guitar one you could probably just use that or you might have to play the 12th fret on E and tune it down that way
If you want to learn to do it by ear, get a riff you like in Drop D and just make it sound good, ie Slither or Who Was In My Room Last Night?.

And I thoroughly agree w/ the harmonic thing/7th fret.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
I always use harmonics.....always
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Took me a while to get a tuning ear...

Well i'm still not really good now, but what i do to tune it into drop D: Is to play a 7 on the E string, and also an open A so basically

A|0~
E|7~

And while the notes are ringing, tune down the E untill is sounds the same, or you hear that harmonising sound

or get a tuner, so you know what being in tune sounds like
Last edited by Lord Matt at Feb 23, 2008,
I'm still working on tuning by ear. I definitely still need practice. What I usually do is play sting2 and string4 open and crank the E down until you can hear the "beats" (beats is the actual term I learned in physics that describes the sound you hear when two sounds waves start to have like wavelengths) I usually try to tune/down tune by ear first then I double check with a tuner.