I'm thinking about buying some new guitar stuff. I have a good guitar I have an Epiphone Sg and a Gibson S1 but i need a new amp. Right now I have a Marshall Mg50DFX and i am looking for a tube amp. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-v16-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487826 would that amp be good for band practices and maybe small gigs.

I am also looking for a new pedal for the amp. I have a Digitech Df-7, and a Dunlop Wah. I am thinking about buying a http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-GT8-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor?sku=151422 but with what i read it might rob the amp of its tube tone.

Any suggestions?

Also I play Classic Rock like Led Zeppelin and somtimes some softer stuff.
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
the palomino would suit your needs nicely and yes it is enough for jamming with a drummer and small gigs....about the gt-8, i do not know
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
dont get a multi effects pedal. just get the basics. you have a wah, so get a tube screamer atleast and whatever else you want.
Quote by culkid
dont get a multi effects pedal. just get the basics. you have a wah, so get a tube screamer atleast and whatever else you want.

Thanks I was thinking about buying an Ibanez Tube Screamer. So maybe I will. I will probably sell my Df-7 just because alot of the effects sound pretty bad.
Get the 808 if you get a tube screamer. dont get the ts9. i have one and its too modern sounding in my opinion. unless modern is what your looking for. the 808 has the more classic over drive. and stevie ray used one!
good first tube amp choice. i say go for it.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Depending on what type of music your band likes to play, although a nice amp, the Palomino V16 could very well get drowned out. Also, considering you'll probably have to have the volume up really high to be heard, you'll lose most any chance at a clean tone from the amp.

You'll really want to try something along the lines of at least 30watts (tube) to get some flexibility out of it in a band situation. If you simply can't go over the cost you've set for yourself, one that you might want to take a look at would be http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pignose-G40V-Tube-Amp?sku=489052 .

If you can manage to save a little bit more, I'd suggest http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp-104003397-i1145634.gc .
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by culkid
Get the 808 if you get a tube screamer. dont get the ts9. i have one and its too modern sounding in my opinion. unless modern is what your looking for. the 808 has the more classic over drive. and stevie ray used one!

Thanks I am listening to the sound clip and it sounds better than the other pedal.
yes as hakael said if your looking for cleans at high volume do not get a palomino. if you can spend a LITTLE more i suggest you get a USED Peavey classic 30. everyone here keeps suggesting them cuz they are so great and one of the best priced amps. USED they go for about 400 and i think 600 new.. Ive never used a valveking but hakael isnt that for metal?
Ya the Peavy classic 30 looks nice I need to keep my total price under $800. I could probably get the tubescreamer for my birthday and I have $250 saved up right now and Ill be working this summer so I should have the money for that.
well if your giong to be purchasing from guitar center you can probably get the price down like 75$ or something. i got 50$ off my blues junior just cuz i said can you take some money off? so if you got some off your peavey, you could purchase the tube screamer just fine
YES! I got one last week. I love it, and it should fit your styles well. It's pretty awesome, especially for the price. It should work well for band practices.

The multi-effect will sound mediocre with the amp, though.
For overdrive, I'd also take a gander at the bad monkey. I know it's pretty popular around here. I still use my old ross distortion pedal, but I'm getting a bad monkey in a little while.

Edit: I also know the bad monkey has somewhat of a more modern sound to it, so it may or may not be great for you.
The Palomino is nice, but try out the peavey classic 30 which you can get it used from GC for $300 test it out first though (30watts) and there's the Palomino v32 (30watts as well)
Quote by culkid
yes as hakael said if your looking for cleans at high volume do not get a palomino. if you can spend a LITTLE more i suggest you get a USED Peavey classic 30. everyone here keeps suggesting them cuz they are so great and one of the best priced amps. USED they go for about 400 and i think 600 new.. Ive never used a valveking but hakael isnt that for metal?

It's a fairly versatile amp. From my own experience and from what I've heard, it has decent cleans and can do metal without much trouble. It's an "all-around" or jack of all trades (a more modernish one), meaning it can do plenty of styles well, although might not be the very best at what it can do. That's not a derogatory statement either. Personally I like it.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
So right now I am thinking about the Ibanez Tube Screamer 808 and the Peavy Classic 30.
definitely get the 808. i personally think im going to sell my blues junior and get a classic 30 or a fender 65 deluxe.
Quote by culkid

i have played the peavey classic and its tone is great. i was playing a JSX 2x12 combo immediately before it and what a muddy tone it had. the classic opened up my ears. its a great amp. no standby switch which is weird but a great amp.

the valveking isnt for metal only. it can barely do metal well. it does pretty much anything if u tweak it right, its the most versatile budget amp out there IMO.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
ACDC there is no classic 30 for under 400 NEW OR USED. it just is not possibly. you must be mixing it up with another amp
Quote by culkid
ACDC there is no classic 30 for under 400 NEW OR USED. it just is not possibly. you must be mixing it up with another amp

why is it a big issue anyways? the TS can afford it whether it be 300 or 500. and he seems to wanna get it so he will work for it even if he couldnt afford it.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
because i dont want him to think its one price and he finds out its 200$ more when he gets to the store
WAIt till the gt-10 comes out and buy the gt-8 for a greatly reduced price.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
^^

no multi effects are a bad investment. i made that mistake dont do it. if your just going to be practicing and maybe jamming it may be a good idea but in the long run for a gigging musician itll just suck.

and good point on the price issue culkid
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by culkid

Do you want to see my receipt? $250 used mint condition.

Classic's are really nice, I like mine a lot for the bands you listed.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Last edited by rageandlove04 at Feb 23, 2008,
Quote by culkid

Yes, there is. I see them all the time on ebay and there is one in my local GC for that much.

So please stop contradicting what I say with some nonsense. You must just get screwed with prices wherever you live.

Exhibit A:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tweed-Peavey-Classic-30-All-Tube-w-JJ-EL84s_W0QQitemZ180218320313QQihZ008QQcategoryZ38076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Quote by culkid
ya because look how old that looks...

It doesn't matter. You said there was NO 30 for UNDER 400. I found one and the guy before said he bought one for $250. Just give up and get out of here until you have been around this forum for more than a month.
Ok guys I have the money for one that costs $500 so its okay really.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Yeah. It's always nice to save a few hundred and get a good pedal or two.

i dont know what kind of guitar center you get your amps from but there is no way that they will give away a 600$ amp for 250$ dont give me that bull ****