So yeah, I'm one of those who have small ands and can still play guitar.

Small hands do suck though...

1. It's harder to play a lot of styles (Hendrix rhythm style is hard as hell, with the thumb and stuff).
2. I don't get the greatest fret span, which inspires a bad habit of moving around the neck too much.

But still, I can kick the crap out of my friends at guitar.

So here's the question...

How many haave small hands like me and still feel they can rip it?
I've got small hands.. I haven't had any probelms with having small hands at all.
I Like Cake
I have really small hands. Can't do the Hendrix rhythm stuff, but that's probably the only thing my hands are preventing me from.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
I have the opposite problem. I have a small body and my hands are abnormally big.
I´ve got quite small hands. And i kick the cr*p out of my friend who has super long fingers.
I have monster hands and with those pretty solid figers. Makes rythem and bass easy enough. Lead is more complicated down on the higher frets so i tend to solo between the 5th and 14th fret

EDIT: when i say big i mean i can have my index finger in fret 1 and hammer on fret 7 clearly and fret 8 with a bit of muffle and fret 9 if i really stretch on the high E string
Quote by mattvl
Listen to this guy, he's australian. If there are any people out there who know how to handle women it's australians.
Last edited by Chadicus at Feb 23, 2008,
You know what people say about small hands.....

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by p.stick

Absolutely massive dicks. Yeah, I know the saying.

Anyway, I've got pretty small hands, I can only feel comfortable with a skinny neck guitar, but I can still span 10 notes on a piano.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
I can only feel comfortable with a skinny neck guitar.

And that's why I prefer the skinny neck metal guitars, even if I'm playing indie stuff or whatever. That's the beauty of pedals and amp settings.
I have small hands, but I'm really good according to everyone!

Oh well.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I have medium sized hands. I still struggle to do those 6-note chords though with my index finger, so painful sometimes. Other than that, my fingers themselves have gotten pretty flexible so playing lead guitar isn't too hard.
I have really small hands, and I can still play decent. Hooray. I'm also lefty and play righty, so that's two strikes against me
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
I have small hands and play bass

but Im alrite ya know?

In fact just last night at the gig I played I ripped out a load of Primus in sound check (Lacquer head riff +chorus+ solo+bridge, Wynona's big brown beaver start/chorus and southbound pachyderm riffs) and loads of people came up after and were complimenting my playing, especially the Primus,lol, these were people id never met

so I wouldnt say it inhibits my playing, sure I have to move around the neck a bit more,and I play thin necked basses, just bought a shortscale Mustang bass,I pick it up in a week,so then problems are solved

but I can play a full scale bass no problem

so u guys can surely cope on guitar
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
small hands ftw
i think we have an advantage on the higher frets
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

ive got small hands aside from hendrix (which im starting to make work) style stuff, it doesnt inhibit me much on guitar.
piano on the other hand...
I'm a small handed bassist.

Doing some stuff on a P-bass was hard...but then I got a J-bass, and it got much better.

My reach is pretty good too.
The.
I ahve small hands and it made barre chords pretty painful for a while until my fingers got used to stretching but it doesnt bother me.

I want to play bass though and find it impossible to reach anything worth talking about
@-}-}-}-
Quote by fly fly fly

2. I don't get the greatest fret span, which inspires a bad habit of moving around the neck too much.

fretboard wankin ftw.

.. i have big hands.. n i still wank my guitar.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
I have quite small hands and I don't have too much of a problem.
Quote by nosushi4you
It doesn't. I like jerking off, but I'm sure as hell not gonna do it with my Dad.
Quote by punkrocker10115
I <3 you!
Yes it is!
Second one to me

Kids, drugs are dangerous. Stay safe.
see Michael Romeo

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I have small hands (especially for my size) and play bass fine. Just need to stretch a little more and really pivot around the thumb in order to make the jumps quickly, but other wise it isn't too much of a hinderence.

Of course large hands make some things easier, but not having large hands shouldn't really stop you from becoming a good player.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I have a small palm but I have long finger so i'm alright

but the question is:

What are the measurements to consider a hand to be small?
I have small hands but I'm double jointed so I can do Hendrix style barre chords easy but i use regular ones as well - I just switch to wichever one is most comfortable at the time.
Gear:

Squire Fat Stratocaster (Gotoh Pickups)
Marshall 50 DFX amplifier
Marshall Guv'nor II Distortion Pedal
Jim Dunlop Standard Cry Baby
Vintage VS6
Last edited by Antroid at Feb 23, 2008,
Quote by p.stick

SMALL GLOVES!!!

L0L0zlzlzlopzlozlz!18171oneeonewiwt!11
me, and i have larger dexterity, as I have to use my pinky for larger fret span, unlike my friends who use there long fingers.

p.s. I dnt use my thumb for barre chords i use purely fingers

but small hands, mean small other things though (for me any way )

W1-9 edit:
Quote by Antroid
I have small hands but I'm double jointed so I can do Hendrix style barre chords easy but i use regular ones as well - I just switch to witchever one is most comfottable at the time.

my fingers are double jointed too, but it's hard for me to play hendrix style :s
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

I almost have perfect musician hands, my fingers can stretch pretty damn far
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Quote by mynamesedson
SMALL GLOVES!!!

L0L0zlzlzlopzlozlz!18171oneeonewiwt!11

i actually lol'ed

i mean, a real guffaww type laugh, it was outrageous
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
I'm a small handed bassist.

Doing some stuff on a P-bass was hard...but then I got a J-bass, and it got much better.

My reach is pretty good too.

damn....

I need a jazz bass....
Quote by ironman1478
im romanian and am offended. most of the people in romania make americans look like autistic kids on ritalin
Quote by ProfessorJim
I'm autistic and on ritalin and am offended. Most autistic kids on ritalin make americans look like romanians.
Big hands, 8 inch hands actually.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
I've got small hands but I'm pretty good. I can reach from the 1st fret to about the 6th. I have some problems on bass though, mostly because I play a monster (Peavey T-40).
Quote by SG thrasher
Bums to the ground when rilakam's around.
Quote by p.stick

small gloves

i have small hands but i still try to learn songs by the police

Sigs Are For Pussies
I gots me some small hands, and I like to think I can play fine.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
well i dont "rip", im not that great at guitar, but its not due to my small hands at all

i actually prefer guitars with bigger necks...go figure
Yeah...I have really small hands. I'm a girl, and we have smaller hands than guys usually anyway, but mine are TINY, even for a chick.
I've learned to work around it, though.
i have medium sized hands, and i can play alright, im still getting better
Gear
ESP Ltd EC-256
Takamine G-40
Boss NS-2
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Classic OD
MXR 10-Band EQ
Boss TU-3
B 52 AT-100
B 52 AT 412A