They're quite different guitars as far as the feel and playing of them goes.

Try them both out and see which you like better?
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Maybe its just me, but it seems like you pay alot for a JEM's cosmetics, like the colored pickups and the Monkey Grip. But JS's seem more like you pay for the guitar more, as a JS is rather plain compared to a JEM. But try both of em out, as Vai and Satch are very different players and would want different guitars.
Id go for the JS

Simply because its cheaper and still has pretty much all the capabilities of the jem

Jem is HSH
JS is HH with Coil tap and High pass filter

IMO JS's Aerofoil shape is so much cooler and lighter

They both have Edge Pros too

So unless you have the money and want a Monkey Grip and Lion Crow Routing, get the JS
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by qotsa1998
Maybe its just me, but it seems like you pay alot for a JEM's cosmetics, like the colored pickups and the Monkey Grip. But JS's seem more like you pay for the guitar more, as a JS is rather plain compared to a JEM. But try both of em out, as Vai and Satch are very different players and would want different guitars.

Yea because white pickups are so much more expensive (sarcasm). I own a JEM7vwh and a custom JEM and it is the best guitar I have ever played or owned. Bought a 2006 on evilbay for $1300. I assembled my custom with authentic parts that i bought piece by piece and it ran me about $1100 give or take. There is no way I would ever pay retail because IT IS overpriced not because of the cosmetics but the Vai name. Ive never played a JS series but like others have said, the only way to know what suits you best is by playing them both.

Line 6 Spider Valve 212

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
both are going to be relatively expensive, because joe and steve will get a royalty for each guitar. as long as you're aware of that, that's ok.

also, don't buy the jem555 or js100; they're crap. at least the higher models, which are overpriced, are decent guitars.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by which ones pink
They're totally different animals if you ask me. The JS has a more vintage feel and sound to it (thicker neck etc.), while the JEM is the ultimate shred machine. I think it's up to you.

Aggreed, the JS was designed to "have a vintage feel, but modern electronics". They're both great guitars, but feel very different.