I wanna know, I have a Squier M80 electric and im lookin for something more... professional... so i´m lookin for a les paul kinda thing (with little budget no more than $500). Any recommendations??
I have a Les Paul Standard on my lap right now, and a few things I think you should consider are:

Les Pauls seem bulky, so they aren't very comfortable for playing standing up, IMO.

The necks are kind of fat, so bigger hands are good for Les Pauls.

Epiphone Les Pauls have major quality control issues, so it's a hit or miss on buying one.

However, they do sound pretty good for the price, and play well.

What types of music do you play, though?
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I have a Les Paul Standard on my lap right now, and a few things I think you should consider are:

Les Pauls seem bulky, so they aren't very comfortable for playing standing up, IMO.

The necks are kind of fat, so bigger hands are good for Les Pauls.

Epiphone Les Pauls have major quality control issues, so it's a hit or miss on buying one.

However, they do sound pretty good for the price, and play well.

What types of music do you play, though?

+1. mine came set up pretty well, but it had a nasty bit of fret buzz. they do sound very good for the price tho. If you get one, buy some straploks with it, because les pauls have relatively weakly held on head stocks, that snap off really easily if they fall off your strap. If you decide to play standing up with it, get a padded strap.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Feb 23, 2008,
Samick AV-3 or AV-6
I dont think I will ever buy an Epiphone because these are so much better.
The AV-3 was about 300 at my local shop and i love it.
Quote by angusfan16
I opened my eyes and found my mother standing next to me with my sheets in one hand and the other hand over her eyes. She said, "Why are you naked!" and i quickly tried to come up with an answer, but all i could get out was, "Feels good man."
Quote by metdethslaythrx
Samick AV-3 or AV-6
I dont think I will ever buy an Epiphone because these are so much better.
The AV-3 was about 300 at my local shop and i love it.

Could this be because you own one?

The Epiphone Les Paul Customs are excellent guitars.

The quality control issues have been under investigation, and there is now a quality checker from Epiphone in America that was sent to the plants in Korea.

Just go to the store and pick one out that you feel plays the nicest.
High as tits
thx guys... i guess im goin to try a few, thou this is one of my best options... oh, and classic rock kinda things, like from beatles to GNR