I really like the sound and feel of Elixir Nanowebs, and they hold a good sound, but I am starting to see a pattern of my G string breaking when I am working on songs with moderate to heavy strumming. The breaks always happen near the bridge, but not on it, and there is no spur or anything like that on the bridge, which leads me to think perhaps I should try another brand.

Anyone else notice this with Nanowebs (mine are lights - .012)? Good coated alternatives that sound and feel similar? I think I may try those Clear-Tones...?
Elixir G strings are notorious for breaking. If they break within a month, you can call elixir and ask them what they can do for you. my friend did so and got a free string, haha.

I've heard good things about cleartones, but i've never seen them here in canada, or else i would definitely try them.

i tried D'addario's coated EXP strings, but they didnt live up to my expectations or needs.

Im currently using Martin SP Phosphor Bronze custom light(.011's). I love them! After they get played in a little, they get a nice warm tone with a hint of shimmer. it's pretty much exactly what i like. If you dont mind that your strings arent slippery like elixirs, give these a try.

Make sure you give non-coated strings a good firm wipe down after each playing session. I've done so on mine, and they basically last as long as my elixirs did, except that dont have that weird discolouration that elixirs had. When my elixirs started to wear, they had a really disgustingly tinny sound, so i changed them about every month, which was hard on my wallet. Martin SPs are a lot cheaper.

Another good alternative worth looking into for coated strings is the Dean Markley Alchemy GoldBronze. They have a unique sound to them. I quite liked them. They gave me really strong harmonics.
Thanks - I have used the Martin SPs and like them, but I liked the "less squeak" of the nanos. But after 4 or 5 breaks, I think I need to go another direction. I'll look into those Markleys as well as the cleartones - it's not worth paying extra for the coated strings if they are going to just keep breaking on me...
yea, thats exactly why im not just going to stick with elixirs anymore. I'll use them for sure, but just not all the time.
Been using them for a long time and have not broken any, acoustic or electric. It,s worth checking your set-up though.
^^ The only think about the Dean Markley's

they are sticky, unlike the slippery elixirs. so if you like the feel of elixirs, you may not like the alchemy's.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Those things are damned expensive, buy something cheaper. If they break in the same amount of time, at least you're saving money. I use Martin SPs and I just recently changed a really really old pair on my acoustic that had to be at least 4 or 6 months old. The winding on the G string was broken at quite a few frets but the core was still intact. Hope you don't keep your strings as long as I do, though XD
I threw some Cleartones on - if they break, then I guess I will be looking a bridge adjustment. They sound nice - don't have the slippery feel of the elixirs, though.
^ I'd be really suprised to hear if your taylor needed a bridge adjustment, when you've only had it just over a year, right?

anywho, Jimtaka has the same problem with breaking his elixir g-strings i feel like...i'm pretty sure i've heard him before. So i feel like thats probably what it is. I got a set of Nanowebs (i haven't used elixirs in a couple of years), and I'll let you know what happens with mine.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
My nanos have been fine, and they've been on quite a while now, I've never had the problem with breaking elixirs.
Quote by roamingbard13
^ I'd be really suprised to hear if your taylor needed a bridge adjustment, when you've only had it just over a year, right?

anywho, Jimtaka has the same problem with breaking his elixir g-strings i feel like...i'm pretty sure i've heard him before. So i feel like thats probably what it is. I got a set of Nanowebs (i haven't used elixirs in a couple of years), and I'll let you know what happens with mine.

Yeah - had it just over a year now. It came with elixirs and that's what I have put back on it, so this is the first time I've tried different strings on it. I would tend to agree that I'd be surprised if it's the bridge, but I suppose it's possible if they have it just a touch too high? But that would throw off intonation, right? There's no issue there... Hopefully the string change does the trick.
i think the only thing that would cause you to break g strings is the angle from the saddle to the bridge pin hole if it is to severe of an angle it will be a weak spot and a possible point of breaking plus on my strings the g string is under the most strain and tension my freind breaks g strings like a madman but it is his strumming pattern that does it to him on his ovation.
I know a few people who have this problem, always breaking the G string.. Apparently from what I can figure out.. Because it's the smallest wound string, it has a really thin core and then because it's coated it has to be a bit thinner than usual still which makes the core of the string thinner than the high E strings.. Which makes them break easy..

I just use normal strings, CBA with all this coating crap. ATM I have some Ernie Ball strings that are going great on my Takamine, still sounding bright and still not turned black with my corrosive sweat after over a week.. I normally/Used to use D'addarios and they'd go black and dull within about 3 days.
^ Interesting observation - I hadn't really thought of it that way, but I guess it does make a bit of sense that the G might be the most prone to breaking just as a matter of course...