I have a choice between two guitars...actually, they're the same guitar. However, I'm trying to decide between a Floyd Rose version of the guitar and a regular version.

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=55&TempID=6&DepartmentID=1&STRID=11469&CategorySubID=681&CategoryID=681&BrandID=1345&CategorySubPriceRangeID=0&pagesize=10&SortMethod=1&Method=3&PriceRangeID=0&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=Department&GroupCode=&categorysubsearch=true

I've never had a guitar with a floyd before, and I've always wanted one...But I've heard some people have used floyds and hated them dearly. The only trem I've used is the one that comes with a Fender Strat.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
depends if your going to use it/maintain it. I'd get the floyd because you can always block it off if you dont like it.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
I would go for the non-floyd as I don't really need another floyd rose equiped guitar, I wouldn't spend so much money if you're not sure if you're going to like it or not.
depends on how much you'll use it

if you play a lot of metal, say, trivium/machine head, get it

however, if you tend to flick between tuning a lot, you have to un lock it, fiddle around and yea, it'll take a while
if you really want the floyd, get it, i love mine
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
I would go for the Floyd Rose, changing strings and tuning isn't as much of a hassle as people say
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_
Fellow Transformers, it has come to my attention that we have the mighty Megatron in our midst!

Ninja of the Ninja Club
well if you already have another guitar w/o a floyd as a back up...then go for it!!

it just takes a little longer to change strings and some ppl are lazy
if you got that kinda money get it, and if you dont like it just get a tremol-no
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH400-Electric-Guitar?sku=516684

This is another link to the guitar I was wanting...it says Floyd Rose Licensed tremolo...

Does it matter whether it's a licensed or an original FR? I've heard people say Licensed trems go out of tune easily.

Thanks for all the responses so far, and sorry for the continuing queries

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
I wouldn't spend $4500 without knowing whether I wanted a floyd or not.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have read that usually licenced FR bridges are made of cheaper materials that won't last as long as the original.
Quote by Nirvana-Man
You have 4500$ to spend?!?!? Well, I love my Floyd Rose

...No, the guitar I was wanting is 700 with a licensed floyd, 680 without one...

Did I give a bad link somewhere because on my computer both the links I gave said those prices...?

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
do you have a link to the actual guitar you want?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Thebiz
...No, the guitar I was wanting is 700 with a licensed floyd, 680 without one...

Did I give a bad link somewhere because on my computer both the links I gave said those prices...?

1st link in first post said 4500 lol.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Yea I was about to say you're about to spend $4500 and not even know which setup you want. Get your ass in gear man and provide the proper links

Edit: ...about the Floyd or no Floyd, I would get one but thats just me. I like them but it depends what you'll be playing on the guitar. Like someone said if you'll be changing tunings a lot on THAT guitar then no don't get it. If it'll stay in same tuning and same string gauge then its an option but it depends on you. An easier way would be to get a guitar with a flush mounted Floyd and install a D-Tuna so you can instantly go into drop D, or have a floating Floyd and buy a Tremel-no and lock the bridge with it then change tunings. That would be the most versatile option cause you'd have all possibilities at your disposal.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Feb 23, 2008,
Get the floyd only if you're not big on alternate tunings. It is not difficult to string/tune unless you're mentally retarded. Make sure you don't get a licensed floyd rose either, there's nothing like the original.
i think $4500 is a load to spend, but its ur money

I prefer the hardtail as im lazy and i like the hassle free tuning and intonation, but FR isnt too bad
Quote by Snapple
i think $4500 is a load to spend, but its ur money

I prefer the hardtail as im lazy and i like the hassle free tuning and intonation, but FR isnt too bad

+1
Only buy a Floyd if you really need one. Otherwise it really isn't worth the hassle.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1