As the title said, I have a cheap crappy Korean guitar which is somewhat customized(changed tuning keys, electronics, pickups) I have tried changing the pickups, but the tone is only slightly improved, which I think is due to the piece of sh** sawdust body. Anyhow, I have heard that by using active pickups the tone is a lot less affected by the body. Is this true? Since active pickups are so expensive I wanted to ask first.

Thank you in advance for your help
Nah, it's probably because you have a bad amp.

What do you have?

And yes, active pickups will make a lot of guitars sound the same, and EMGs in particular are only good at high-gain.
Well yea, I do not have a serious amp. It is a 30w bedroom amp, a Marshall.

That that my guitar will sound the same as other guitars with EMGs actually in my case is a good thing. I was thinking about Duncan's Blackouts do you know anything about those?
EMG clones.

Listen, your amp makes up 90% of your tone.

High-output pickups through a solid-state amp will sound even worse.

Moral of the story: get a new amp. Seriously.
It would be super-sweet to get a neat tube head-stack, but it does not seem like a smart investment so far. I do not have my own studio or any other place to practice with the band (we usually rent a studio) and the gigging-clubs usually have their own amps. Oh not talking about the fact that the guy upstairs would kill me because of all the noise.

My aim was to improve the tone of my guitar not my overall tone, but thanks anyway on the side-note.
Quote by Jaladin
It would be super-sweet to get a neat tube head-stack, but it does not seem like a smart investment so far. I do not have my own studio or any other place to practice with the band (we usually rent a studio) and the gigging-clubs usually have their own amps. Oh not talking about the fact that the guy upstairs would kill me because of all the noise.

My aim was to improve the tone of my guitar not my overall tone, but thanks anyway on the side-note.

Someone who seems to have a vague idea!! At last!!

However even with a studio or a place to practice a good tube combo will be plenty loud enough even for gigs.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
you dont have to get something big for tubes.i have a 5 watt tube amp,get an epiphone valve junior or a fender blue junior or the like.... or even a champ 600
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
I am not quite sure that I understand you Madsalty...

Imho tube bedroom amp is still a bedroom amp...

but as I said before the matter is not about my tone but about the guitar's
Well I have a similar question, I have this really crappy guitar that is made of some really crappy wood (dont know the name but you can see the grain of the wood on it and it is like vertical stripes) But I do want to keep it. It has this really anoying high pitched sound to it and I wonder when I put different pick-ups on it if the sound will change? since the body is so bad.... My amp is pretty good it is some unknown brand but with my other guitar it sounds fine.
^Lower your pickup's height.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p315/naazrael/pickupheight.jpg

Quote by webbtje
EMG clones.

Listen, your amp makes up 90% of your tone.

High-output pickups through a solid-state amp will sound even worse.

Moral of the story: get a new amp. Seriously.

+1

You know, improving your guitar's overall tone is achieved BY improving your amp. Your amp is responsible for over 70% of your tone! Changing your guitar's hardware or pickups doesn't affect it that much. Changing your pickups is for TWEAKING your tone. And it's usually barely noticeable through a crappy amp. Like you've found out.

And yes, putting high output active pickups in your guitar is a bad idea.
will do, I'll probaly try tomorrow it's sunday and i dont have anything to do then
Finally getting somewhere closer...

Why is it a bad idea putting high gain active pickups in my guitar, forsaknazrael?
Ok but if I were to put EMGs on my crap-guitar and play it on a serious amp?