Hello all

A random thought struck my head...thought I'd share it. What would the world be like if humans never felt the urge to express themselves? Sure, we'd all be really boring and completely identical to one another, but on the other hand:

-We wouldn't kill animals for their fur unless out of necessity. Fewer species would be endangered.
-We wouldn't cut down so many trees to make musical instruments.
-No fashion or clothing trends. Therefore also no elitism and bashing people who choose to be different
-No-one would pay thousands of dollars for an old action figure or whatever

And another thought about art...

Paintings only became realistic during the Renaissance era. During that time, people began to observe and draw what they see, rather than just what they remembered. All paintings before that look fairly primitive, whereas many famous artists of the Renaissance drew photo-realistic portraits.

Now, if I have to draw something, to me it would seem obvious to look at it for referrence. Was this really not such an obvious thing up to the Renaissance?

Or were human beings simply not developped enough to be able to draw like that?
As creativity is one of the major differences between human and animal, I have a hard time imagining a world without it. I believe that all our ethics are not just a product of natural selection, but rather a product of a creative process. Therefore:
No creativity = no ethics = being nothing more than animals.

Concerning the second point:
I dunno.
Everything is dictated by the fashion of the day. I doubt humans suddenly evolved the ability to draw stuff realistically in 200 years.

That was just their perception of reality, which was fashionable at the time.
Quote by ray_von
Everything is dictated by the fashion of the day. I doubt humans suddenly evolved the ability to draw stuff realistically in 200 years.

That was just their perception of reality, which was fashionable at the time.

so people started to walk upright because it became fashionable?
www.myspace.com/adayoverdue

GEAR-
Guitars-
Ibanez SA260lh
Epiphone SG-black lefthand
Vintage Metal Axxe
Westfield Les Paul copy

Pedals
BOSS Metal Core
BOSS TU2
BOSS NS2
BOSS BF3 Flanger

BOSS BCB60

Amp
Orange Dual Terror head
if we didnt have the ability for creativity and expression humans wouldnt be the same as we are now. There is artistic creativity in any creation, even if it's for something like a car or a washing machine. Humans would be living as animals and would eventually go extinct just as animals do, rather than gain the power to govern our own destiny (which we may one day achieve).
Quote by mickyd
so people started to walk upright because it became fashionable?

We're talking about art not genetic evolution of the ability to walk.

I don't think you can argue that man of a sudden evolved the ability to draw realistically within a space of 200 years. Fashion helps to spur new ideas on. You have to look at the historical factors - commissioned work, how much it was being paid for, conditions of the time, who the work would appeal to.
There would be no progress
Progress comes from ingenuity and innovation. If people were not creative, we would not be able to come up with most logical things either.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
There would be no progress
Progress comes from ingenuity and innovation. If people were not creative, we would not be able to come up with most logical things either.

Wouldn't there still be some progress through experimentation?

I mean, it would be very slow, but it would happen. New materials would be discovered. Houses would still be built. Language and communication would still develop. The world around us would still be discovered more about over time.
Quote by sashki
Wouldn't there still be some progress through experimentation?

I mean, it would be very slow, but it would happen. New materials would be discovered. Houses would still be built. Language and communication would still develop. The world around us would still be discovered more about over time.

No. The whole reason why we came to be is because our intelligence caused up to think unlike other animals
If we were not creative enough to think about making a spear rather than using bare hands, the human race would never come to be. The agricultural revolution, that which made us considered 'civilized', could not have formed if someone didnt come up with the brilliant idea that we could just raise plants rather than forage and hunt. If it was logic, animals could have done it by now.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

dude you can go live in your world without expression and we'll live in ours
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Quote by aaron00lee
dude you can go live in your world without expression and we'll live in ours

Hey, I'm not saying it would be better. I'd rather not, thank you.

I was wondering what it would be like, though. I didn't know it would hinder our progress so much.
There was man who belonged to an extremely strict sect of the islamic faith that not only disallowed pictoral representations of the prophet but also of anything at all. At one point he came to england and they showed him a painting of a horse in the london art museum. He had no idea what it was, and had no concept of the idea that it represented something.

Art is a social construct.
Quote by vintage x metal
No. The whole reason why we came to be is because our intelligence caused up to think unlike other animals
If we were not creative enough to think about making a spear rather than using bare hands, the human race would never come to be. The agricultural revolution, that which made us considered 'civilized', could not have formed if someone didnt come up with the brilliant idea that we could just raise plants rather than forage and hunt. If it was logic, animals could have done it by now.

+A lot

No creativity, no progress. It's as simple as that.

We would have been wiped off the planet by now.
The.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
+A lot

No creativity, no progress. It's as simple as that.

We would have been wiped off the planet by now.

I think we would still exist, we'd just be running around with stick wackin **** then eating it raw... I miss the good ol days
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile