I'm looking to get a overdrive or fuzz pedal for the bass. I want to retain all my low end and not get muddy. Any suggestions?

Oh and tones that I like are RATM, Dead Meadow, and Incubus (except this is clean sounding)
Until recently I had a Boss odb-3 bass overdrive

it was pretty good, but found it coloured my tone even when off...built like a tank though

but yeah,I no longer have it,and thinking maybe Id like a different bass distortion/overdrive/fuzz

so....any other suggestions folks??

help 2 bassists for the price of 1
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by ray_von
anyone know what the Ibanez PD-7 bass overdrive is like?

Played one, and it was okay. Didn't lose low end, but the actual amount of coloring was too much for me.

I have a Digitech Bass Driver, and its pretty versatile, but after lots of experimenting I cannot get a Timmy C type of subtle overdrive.

inb4fulltonebassdrive
Fulltone Bass Drive, as requested. I have one, and it is fantastic. It can't get into the extreme fuzz range., but in it's range, it is damn good.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I doubt most of the pedals listed would do bad, but most pro bassists that use a lot of distortion usually have complex bi-amping rigs, with distortion on the high amp and the low amp stays clean. Since you have a guitar amp handy, I'd consider doing something like that. If you have a way to split the signal and cut the lows out of the guitar amp signal, or just a simple crossover, you should be set. If the distortion on your amp still doesn't cut it, you could try using your Big Muff on the guitar amp signal.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Fuzz and overdrive are very different things....

You should be more specific on the type of tone you want.

For fuzz, the ZVex Woolly Mammoth or the B:assmaster are probably the best I've heard, and for overdrive, the Fulltone Bass Driver. Mind you, these are pretty expensive pedals, but you get what you pay for.

I have an Ibanez PD7 and it's pretty good for getting some gritty tones, although it really colors your clean signal - it just sounds like a totally different instrument when you turn it on.
Mxr M-80
Quote by Confused4930
Fender? Never heard of them...maybe I should check them out....
Quote by Charlatan_001
Fuzz and overdrive are very different things....

You should be more specific on the type of tone you want.

For fuzz, the ZVex Woolly Mammoth or the B:assmaster are probably the best I've heard, and for overdrive, the Fulltone Bass Driver. Mind you, these are pretty expensive pedals, but you get what you pay for.

I have an Ibanez PD7 and it's pretty good for getting some gritty tones, although it really colors your clean signal - it just sounds like a totally different instrument when you turn it on.

RATM and Dead Meadow tones
Okay... well Timmy C definitely doesn't used a fuzz. Your best bet is probably something like a Digitech Bass Driver or a Fulltone Bass Driver. The Digitech will give you a broader range of sound, from gritty to distorted, but the Fulltone will give you a much better quality overdrive.

IMO, overdrive is much more useful and versatile than distortion.
ok try this for a made up setup

Splitter - Effects loop on 1 side, clean on the other - Both into a separate channel on this Mixer so you can blend - Then from main output into the input on your amplifier

Now you'll be able to keep your low end clarity while having whatever distortion you want in between you and the amp
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Try a ProCo Rat. I use it to get a Justin Chancellor-y (of Tool) distortion for songs like "H." and "Jambi".
Quote by myearshurt
big muff pi. if you have it on the right settings, it wont get muddy.

Yep, nobody ever accused the Big Muff as being muddy.

MXR I believe it was just came out with a bass fuzz that might be worth checking out.

However, threadstarter, do you know exactly what fuzz is? For some reason, people think there's a sliding scale going from overdrive to distortion to fuzz (fuzz just being a crazy distortion), but fuzz is it's own beast. Fuzz has this square-wave synthy thing going on that colours your tone on low output levels, unlike overdrive, which can barely sound like it's on when the output is low.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz

MXR I believe it was just came out with a bass fuzz that might be worth checking out.

However, threadstarter, do you know exactly what fuzz is? For some reason, people think there's a sliding scale going from overdrive to distortion to fuzz (fuzz just being a crazy distortion), but fuzz is it's own beast. Fuzz has this square-wave synthy thing going on that colours your tone on low output levels, unlike overdrive, which can barely sound like it's on when the output is low.

Yeah. I have a friend that came up with a good way to describe it. Airy. Its airy distortion. Fuzz IMO is more pleasing to the ears than heavy distortion. Listen to the Smashing Pumpkins. Thats all a Muff. On GUITAR, that is.
Quote by thefitz

Yeah I know what fuzz is. I just know that a small amount of fuzz can sound sort of like overdrive and I wasn't sure what bassists used since I have zero experience with bass (this is actually for my friend).
Quote by ChorusPedal88
I'd try the Big Muff, US or Russian, both similar.

*Mimicks the kick from 300*

Big Muffs suck low end. Unless you biamp or have a blender, don't get one.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1