Is it really THAT bad? I have an agathis guitar, and it doesn't seem HORRIBLY bad... I'd like to see your guy's input on it
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
But does it sound good?
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Well with my passive EMG's, I only think it sounds alright.
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
hm, i have an agathis guitar as well, and it's very cheap and thus sound terrible. BUT i have played rather decent sounding agathis guitars as well (LTD series)
emgs cover up the natural sound of the wood tho
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Eggmond
emgs cover up the natural sound of the wood tho

So if I get some EMG 81-85's it should be fine?
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
Well, if I use the right effects and such, can it sound DECENT? Because I worry about my tone a lot... and I feel like this guitar would be a waste without a good tone ._.
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
So if I get some EMG 81-85's it should be fine?

it wil sound bland like every other guitar with emgs but if you tweak your eq you might be able to get a usable tone out of it.what amp are you using?
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Quote by Eggmond
it wil sound bland like every other guitar with emgs but if you tweak your eq you might be able to get a usable tone out of it.what amp are you using?

sig.

Vox AD50VT amp. I love metal. Metal is what this guitar will do. Maybe an x2n in the bridge, and somethign else in the neck? Everyone says the amp matters the most about the tone... so... yeah.
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
Vox AD50VT amp. I love metal. Metal is what this guitar will do. Maybe an x2n in the bridge, and somethign else in the neck? Everyone says the amp matters the most about the tone... so... yeah.

itl do for metal but the x2n is a VERY hot pup so you wanna make sure your playin is dead tight cos any mistakes will stick out.maybe try a D-activator for the neck
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Personally I think agathis sounds fine through a good amp, my GAX30 sound pretty damn good through my GH50L.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Eggmond
itl do for metal but the x2n is a VERY hot pup so you wanna make sure your playin is dead tight cos any mistakes will stick out.maybe try a D-activator for the neck

alright. thanks for all the help guys.

so really, guitar wood doesn't matter THAT much if you have a good amp, and good effects and pickups?

I want an x2n in one of my guitars, however. Whichever it'll sound better in will do good (my jackson or esp). D Activator in the neck sounds good. However, I need a neck pickup in my Jackson then, too... since I don't want to use the stock pickup for a while
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
wood does matter a lot but not as much if you use active pups or high output passive ones
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Its sound kind of sterial like mmahogany lite But what really kills agathis is the cheap electronics that come with it.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
i have a tele with an agathis body and the only thing i can complain about is that it is heavy.
the sound is fine and i only have the stock pickups in and a crappy amp.
My agathis body is LIGHT

maybe because I'm used to carrying a golf bag lol...

but yeah, an x2n is what I was looking at. So it'll sound a million times better with better pickups?
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
Active pickups basically disregard the body of the guitar entirely. All pickups depend on having a good amp (the amp always makes up most of your tone anyway), but actives rely on a good amp even more. Really, you shouldn't bother touching active pickups at all unless you have a good, touring-quality amp to use. Bedroom practise amps aren't going to give the actives the support they need to produce a good tone.

As far as agathis goes, there are worse woods out there, but the main problem with agathis is that usually, it doesn't cost much more to get the same spec in basswood which is a better body wood, and it's rare for it to cost much more top get the same kind of guitar in mahogany or alder. In fact you can normally get a basswood/mahogany/alder guitar with cheaper pickups at the same price as an agathis guitar with regular pickups. And since you can always upgrade pickups later anyway, but you can't upgrade the wood your guitar is made from, it just makes more sense to leave agathis alone, buy something with mahogany, basswood or alder, and then upgrade whatever else.
I don't like agathis wood because it feels cheap. It's the sort of sh1t that walmart guitars are made from. One step up from plywood

That's just one of the things I like about my Les Paul, it's mahogany and feels heavy and good quality
Quote by bokuho
Active pickups basically disregard the body of the guitar entirely. All pickups depend on having a good amp (the amp always makes up most of your tone anyway), but actives rely on a good amp even more. Really, you shouldn't bother touching active pickups at all unless you have a good, touring-quality amp to use. Bedroom practise amps aren't going to give the actives the support they need to produce a good tone.

As far as agathis goes, there are worse woods out there, but the main problem with agathis is that usually, it doesn't cost much more to get the same spec in basswood which is a better body wood, and it's rare for it to cost much more top get the same kind of guitar in mahogany or alder. In fact you can normally get a basswood/mahogany/alder guitar with cheaper pickups at the same price as an agathis guitar with regular pickups. And since you can always upgrade pickups later anyway, but you can't upgrade the wood your guitar is made from, it just makes more sense to leave agathis alone, buy something with mahogany, basswood or alder, and then upgrade whatever else.
So an x2n in the bridge will really help my tone?
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
Agathis gets a lot of bad rep because it's found on budget and beginner guitars. The wood itself isn't terrible, it's just cheap and that's its downfall.

Alder, basswood, mahogany and such are all generally better though so it doesn't really matter.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself