I had my first gig last night, a benefit concert, and it was amazing. The thing is, I loaned my Mesa F30 to 2 acoustic players and one complete n00b hardcore guitarist (he was playing a Starcaster ). Since none of them had any experience with tube amps, they did a few things that you're not supposed to do, i.e leaving the standby switch on, flicking the standby and power switches at the same time, etc. (one even almost touched the tubes while the amp was running- I almost didn't stop him, for the lulz.). My question is, could they have done any minor damage to my amp or the tubes? Or are they just morons?
Quote by sum_ugly_man
Does it sound wrong? Anything unusual? If so then Its payday for you man

no, not really... could morons mistreating it like this potentially do damage, though?
They may've cut 10 minutes off the life of your tubes. Otherwise, I think you'll be ok.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
They may've cut 10 minutes off the life of your tubes. Otherwise, I think you'll be ok.

+1
Yah. Honestly: You're freakin' out a bit too much. The only thing to be worried about is that if you have a Silicon Rectifier, and they didn't let the tubes warm up. But even then, its just a tube life problem.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
turning the amp completely on straight away doesn't have any adverse effects as long as you don't do it often. If you'd have let them touch the valves you'd have needed new ones, as any fingerprint or mark on the valves (tubes) will cause excess heat to be produced and shorten the life of the valves.
At the end of the day you lent them the amp at your own risk, I don't lend my equipment out to anyone except maybe the odd lead - i've had enough bad experiences to teach me that...
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Quote by Striketalonx
+1
Yah. Honestly: You're freakin' out a bit too much. The only thing to be worried about is that if you have a Silicon Rectifier, and they didn't let the tubes warm up. But even then, its just a tube life problem.

mm hmm, Its not like they went all gorilla on the thing. And did the guy burn his fingers trying to touch the tubes?
Quote by slatsmania

+1

The same thing was done with my Marshall. Some people turned it straight off lol!
I will let people use my amp if they ask and I will show them what to do. But some wise ass decides to use it without my permission (I was gone out side) and he didnt know about the stand by switch and he was just looking at the amp for like 10 minutes. Wasted half of their set nearly!
the order you turn them on and off really doesn't matter. i mean, these things are made to take heavy abuse.

the only way that these people are morons is that they almost touched your tubes, because that just hurts.
hug your local pug dealer!
Quote by sum_ugly_man
mm hmm, Its not like they went all gorilla on the thing. And did the guy burn his fingers trying to touch the tubes?

No, I stopped him before he could get his hand close. Anyway, thanks for the help you guys, as you might've guessed I'm a bit overprotective about my gear. No more will I let people use my stuff without them showing me that they actually know how!!
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
No, I stopped him before he could get his hand close. Anyway, thanks for the help you guys, as you might've guessed I'm a bit overprotective about my gear. No more will I let people use my stuff without them showing me that they actually know how!!

Hey mesa f-30 its pretty expensive + really nice amp, I would do the same thing If I were you
Last edited by sum_ugly_man at Feb 23, 2008,