Page 1 of 2
So, I'm planning to record an extended, epic cover of CoCa's song, The Final Cut. I'm thinking we could have loads of guitarists/bassists to chip in with their own solos. We'll also need someone to record the drums.

I'll piece it all together using Reaper and add the vocals.

Post here if you're interested.

Remember- Chord progression is just E5 to C5, half step down tuning (<- well that's what's on the album)

For inspiration-

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u6kprgW6JQM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-cTWMg8q-08

Josh.

Guitarists:

Volta_91
Guitar-God-Elf
TheDriller
TheEndHasNoEnd
Geartrigger
Spoony_Bard
brandewyork
KeyworkCoCa
Latin Morello
keltonhicks
WerdnaEgni

Bassists:

dawson_monkey

Drums:

sumguy67

OK. We have 10 guitarists (assuming everyone is still in), a bassist (maybe two), and a drummer with electronic drums. If he can't do it, we either need another drummer, or someone who can program a good drum machine. Last resort, I'll do it on Hydrogen (see Rock Song on profile).

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Last edited by Volta_91 at Mar 27, 2008,
Awesome idea. I would definately try to contribute something, but i cant do recordings right now. but ill definately keep my eye on this.
im very intrested in this

one thing though, no recording equipment atm
but im getting some 11th of march~
so how long is this project going to be? (im presuming longer than that?)
Yeah, it might not even start until 13th March (my birthday- getting some studio monitors).

I highly recommend the Toneport UX1. You can record guitar/bass directly in and use the gearbox amp models, or use a mic with the mic input to record a real guitar amp, acoustic, vocals etc.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

ok thanks, il look into it as im still in the deciding phase of what im going to get.

in that case id almost certainly like to contribute
one question though - how long are you expecting each persons solo to be?
or does it all depend on the number of people we get?
because upto now we'll be writing our own epic 5minute solos
Well, it wouldn't have to be just one person soloing on their own for a whole minute. It could just be a few riffs that are spread over the whole song.

Of course, longer solos would be great.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Last edited by Volta_91 at Feb 25, 2008,
well to be honest, it all depends with me, at the moment its probably more likely il come up with a few licks to be spread about.
But you never know an epic solo might spring out of nowhere
at the epic solo

at your sig

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

I really hope this idea takes shape, and we should post a link to this thread on all the coheed groups on ug

lol
the guy in my sig had just joined the day he posted that aswell!
im just hoping all 08'ers are that cool
i would be soooooo up for this, if i didnt suck and everything i play sounded bluesy

for those who contribute, lets make it longer than the hammerstien version (about 17 minutes with all the solos)

when this project is finished can the TS post the end result in the coheed thread??? that way i can download it =)

good luck guys
Quote by nt1440
everything i play sounded bluesy

Anything goes! Well, almost anything

Quote by nt1440
i would be soooooo up for this

Would be? Are you in or not?

I'll definately upload the finished product to the Coheed thread.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Last edited by Volta_91 at Feb 23, 2008,
Any one else interested at all?

ATM, it looks like Guitar-God-Elf and I have some looooong solos to write.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Woop

we're rolling now!
so you've found a definate bassist?
and is that drummer a 50/50?

hopefully il be able to come up with some improv before the date, suffering from a bit of a writers block atm
Quote by Guitar-God-Elf
Woop
so you've found a definate bassist?

Pretty much. I'll ask captain chaos (he's doing some other songs with me) whether he'll do some, although he's finishing off the bass part for our 'Welcome Home' cover (see profile) atm. We're doing Open Car by Porcupine Tree after that.

Quote by Guitar-God-Elf

and is that drummer a 50/50?

I'd say more like a 20/80

There's no rush. I'm thinking we should record the song as it is on the album, then add a jamming part in the middle.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Last edited by Volta_91 at Feb 26, 2008,
yeah^ i totally agree, if anything it will make all the soloing more epic

so once we get a drummer, will we send the drum track (the part that will be going behind the solo) and the rhythm guitar part to all the soloists, and then we'll record our parts on a separate track? (if im making any sense )
^^Sounds like a plan! The first thing we need to do is get lots of people interested. I'd say at least 7 guitarists.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

I would sign up except I don't have any real good way to record...just GarageBand. I covered The Final Cut, it's in my profile. If you think the tone in it is okay, then I'd be more than happy to contribute.

Also, you guys can use my Coheed group (which I'm pretty sure you're all a part of) to organize this. It's by far the biggest one on UG. Link is in my sig.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Last edited by Spoony_Bard at Feb 25, 2008,
Sounds like a cool idea. I'd record drums for it if you wanted. I've got an electronic kit so it'd sound really clean when I recorded it.
How many guitarists?!?! 'Cause i'm down... same speed as the original i assume... cause i can just jam off that...
Id love to do a bit of soloing over it. (using e-bow and octaving for randomness) haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnynemo
"I can't believe you didn't dress up. You're the weirdest guy on this shift."
I said "I was gonna dress like your mom, but I didn't feel like growing a beard".
I'll do it. Guitar. Sounds like good fun. I have a decent recording setup. I think you should like...designate an order that each person is going to go in once you get the bare bones of it (drum and rhythm guitar or whatever). You can be like WerdnaEgni: 22:30 - 45:40 (I assume we'll each have 23 minute solos. That's the standard). Just a thought (kidding about 23 minute solo) AIM is TehWerdnaEgni. You'll have more luck reaching me there when the time comes.
Alright. Hi. So i'm the bassist. Guitar-God-Elf: I'll have words with Volta_91 bout gettin started, if sumguy67 u could do the drums i'd say do the main riffs and fills seperatly and send em 2 Volta_91 then he can piece it together for how long it takes. As an estimate for solo length, i'd go with 6-7 minutes, if anyone wants to do a duet sort of thing thatd be cool as well but sort that between yourselves. Dont do any final recordings until we have the drums then you can have ur own copys of the drum track. It sounds like i'm being bossy, but Volta_91s abit busy so im holding down the fort.

Yeh so any ideas pls post em up here soon so we can get piecin ideas together ready to record. Peace Out.
alright then, i'll try to do that sometime this week. about how long should i make it (or should i just make it about the length of C&C's version)?
id be in but i can record or play well =(

i do love coheed tho!

how will we know when this is finished?
Sumguy67 - Just a few versions of each riff, to begin with double the length of each section and enough fills for at least 30 mins.
nt1440 - jus do ya best dude. the end comes when everyones had enough.
hah, that's gonna be a long song. thanks goodness for sampling. alright then, i'll go get a couple different versions recorded.
^I'm back!

Quote by dawson_monkey
i'd go with 6-7 minutes

Nah. I'd say UP TO 6mins, but with no lower limit. If someone just wants to contribute a quick riff/lick, then great!

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Page 1 of 2